Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
I would be curious to hear from those that do not return your cart to the coral.

If you eat at a fast food restaurant or a food court at a mall, would you leave your tray with wrappers, cups, etc. on the table when you leave because the restaurant pays someone to clean up tables?
Do you really need them to answer? Because next time you see a trash filled table you can be pretty sure the ones that left it aren't the ones putting carts in the coral

Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
If you eat at a fast food restaurant or a food court at a mall, would you leave your tray with wrappers, cups, etc. on the table when you leave because the restaurant pays someone to clean up tables?
I don't... but that is a false comparison. Typically those trash receptacles are mere steps from the table. While the cart receptacles are typically out of the way by quite a bit.

But if it was in anyway inconvenient for me I would not throw the trash out.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
But if it was in anyway inconvenient for me I would not throw the trash out.
Right, because you are an extremely selfish person. Not sure what sort of purpose you kind of people have in life, because I'm not seeing any.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
This is an interesting perspective on the problem that I had not considered. I, too, thought people were being inconsiderate in not returning their carts but, after reading your comment, I saw a different perspective. After thinking about it, stores are giving less customer service these days and expecting more from their customers. (ex: self-checkouts, no employees to be found if a customer needs help, expecting customers to fill out surveys telling everyone how wonderful a store/employees are with nothing less than a 5-star rating, AND returning their own shopping carts, etc. ! I'm sure there's even more I haven't though of.) I, personally, return my shopping carts but, unless the wind is blowing and carts are flying around the parking lot banging into cars, (which I try to catch if I'm close by) that's the only time I really think about how inconsiderate people are in not returning their carts. Otherwise, I don't think about it.
When was that "phased out?" Where we shop at supermarkets (Safeway and Kroger) they still offer to help take the groceries to the car when I go to a checker. I have never been asked to do a survey. Normally, though, I try to use the self-checks and rarely take a cart out to the lot, but just grab the 2-3 bags and carry them. We do use the cart and take it all the way out at Costco, but at the two we frequent there is never a problem with abandoned carts, they have plenty of "corals" and people are good about returning them. In fact there is almost always someone waiting to take a parking space while the current occupant returns their cart.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They are a company with German origins, and using a Euro to get a cart is common there. They just brought the concept to the US. Maybe it will catch on here, but it will take some time. That's assuming brick and mortar grocery stores survive Amazon home delivery.
I left North Jersey in 1992; Pathmark had cart chains at least 10 years before that because I had just sold my 72 Grand Prix to my boyfriends sister, I had that car when I was 17. As a matter of fact, I still have the cart key they used to give out; you know what? It doesn't work in the carts at Aldi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's probably the same people who decide they don't want something in their cart and just leave it on any random shelf. Extra points if it's something that can be spoiled, like a carton of milk in the pasta section.
Drives me nuts! Why can't they carry it in their cart and hand it to the cashier to put with their returns? Would it really kill them?

If I find an open package while shopping, I will also hand it to the cashier or customer service if there's no line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
*shrugs* I think very few of the people who refuse to put their carts away have any disability at all. It's basically people who want to stick their thumbs in other people's eyes. Read back through this thread, Priscilla.
I'm disabled; most times when I park there is a basket waiting in the disabled section. It's a large area that does have room for a few carts. If there are 2 or more carts I will put them together. People look at me like I'm weird. I always take one into the store with me.

Those of us that can barely walk actually appreciate carts being left in the handicapped area because they're usually decent carts if a handicapped person was able to push it. When you go inside Walmart to get a cart, you may have to go thru 5 carts before you find a good one when they actually have carts inside. They have a mentally disabled guy doing carts after 2pm most days but I don't see anyone doing them during the morning.

There are days I will leave the cart and there are days when I'll put it in the corral depending on how far it is from the handicapped parking. Most days I'm no where near one. If I have my grandson I'm not walking it to the corral because he's normally wound up when we come out, I can barely hold onto him to keep him safe. He's going to be 6 in a few months but he's the size of an 8 year old. Some days he's having a melt down about not going "to look" at toys because I'm not up to the walking involved or melting down because I wouldn't let him have one thing when most of what's in my cart are for him.

If I go to our local Shop Rite, there is a 3 foot section between the 2 handicapped sides. Handicapped people leave them there for other handicapped people unless their cart kid comes around to take it from us.

Shop Rite usually has someone getting carts unlike Walmart where as was mentioned, some days there are no carts inside.

Quote:
Interesting comments. I'm a little surprised a couple of people admitted to leaving their carts in place and not returning them to the cart return area. So, it's not necessarily that they're lazy, they just feel that since the store pays someone to retrieve them, they should just leave the cart where ever their car happens to be parked? Even if there is a corral a short distance away and their cart might be blown by the wind and hit a parked car? Wow. I was not expecting that sort of response. Some people obviously just don't give a s**t about their fellow man. I can't imagine having that sort of attitude about things. How does one develop an attitude like that?
Not everyone feels that way but I agree with some of what was said by the one poster that pointed out some stores want us to do everything for them so they don't hire more help. My local Walmart just redid their store to add 5 self check out belt lanes and another self check out section at the other exit. I'll have to count how many registers are left but I don't think they have more then 10 which would be 5 lanes; 2 registers per lane.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 PM

16,078 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When was that "phased out?" Where we shop at supermarkets (Safeway and Kroger) they still offer to help take the groceries to the car when I go to a checker. I have never been asked to do a survey. Normally, though, I try to use the self-checks and rarely take a cart out to the lot, but just grab the 2-3 bags and carry them. We do use the cart and take it all the way out at Costco, but at the two we frequent there is never a problem with abandoned carts, they have plenty of "corals" and people are good about returning them. In fact there is almost always someone waiting to take a parking space while the current occupant returns their cart.
Around here they offer mostly to older folks or parents of small children, your average able bodied shopper might, maybe get a half hearted 'ya need some help?' , which honestly is as it should be IMO. For the life of me I don't see why I'd need some kid dumping groceries in my trunk when I'm more than capable of doing it myself. I am actually somewhat offended now that I seem to be offered that help a lot more often than I used to be. Time for a box of hair dye and some wrinkle cream maybe!

Old 04-26-2019, 12:52 PM

86 posts, read 62,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Those of us that can barely walk actually appreciate carts being left in the handicapped area because they're usually decent carts if a handicapped person was able to push it. When you go inside Walmart to get a cart, you may have to go thru 5 carts before you find a good one when they actually have carts inside. They have a mentally disabled guy doing carts after 2pm most days but I don't see anyone doing them during the morning.

There are days I will leave the cart and there are days when I'll put it in the corral depending on how far it is from the handicapped parking. Most days I'm no where near one. If I have my grandson I'm not walking it to the corral because he's normally wound up when we come out, I can barely hold onto him to keep him safe. He's going to be 6 in a few months but he's the size of an 8 year old. Some days he's having a melt down about not going "to look" at toys because I'm not up to the walking involved or melting down because I wouldn't let him have one thing when most of what's in my cart are for him.
I have no problem whatsoever with this. If you have trouble walking, or have some other issue that makes the task difficult, you should not return the cart. My mother has trouble walking and uses the cart to assist her. I can appreciate that having a cart nearby when you get out of the car is nice. My purpose in creating this thread was to gain an understanding of the mindset of those folks that are perfectly capable of walking a short distance to return a cart, but do not.

Thank you for your response.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:07 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
They're the kind of people like my mom who goes into a department store and tosses and unfolds all the shirts to find one. Then she throws the whole mess back on the shelf. When I called her out, her response was, "That's their job." Maybe it is, but you still don't have to be like a pig in a pigpen. I was embarrassed, so I made her wait while I folded everything back up again.

Worst thing is, my folding being what it is, the department worker probably had to do it all over again anyway.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,555,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Right, because you are an extremely selfish person. Not sure what sort of purpose you kind of people have in life, because I'm not seeing any.
Selfish and proud of it. Not like anyone else is going to look out for me.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,660 times
LOL the threads people start up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology