Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 02:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's probably the same people who decide they don't want something in their cart and just leave it on any random shelf. Extra points if it's something that can be spoiled, like a carton of milk in the pasta section.
I will admit to doing that.

If it's something perishable, then I will bring it back to where it came from, but if it's a tin of Pringles, I may just leave where I found the thing I wanted more.

Maybe I will bring it to the front of the store in the future, though.

To be honest, it never really even crossed my mind but it makes sense...

Old 04-26-2019, 02:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Selfish and proud of it. Not like anyone else is going to look out for me.
Right, no purpose to your life. Just go from one temporary happiness to the other until you die one day

Old 04-26-2019, 03:08 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because they don't want to walk the few extra yards. They're lazy and most of all, they don't care that it affects other people.
Bingo! ^^^^^

I cannot stand how disgustingly LAZY people can be. You pushed that cart all the way to your car full of groceries and yet you can’t push it to the cart corral empty? People like this are a few bricks short of a load. IMHO of course.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't... but that is a false comparison. Typically those trash receptacles are mere steps from the table. While the cart receptacles are typically out of the way by quite a bit.

But if it was in anyway inconvenient for me I would not throw the trash out.
What YOU decide to do or not do leaves an imprint. One person who litters might be a lazy PITA. One million people seeing no problem doing the same decimates the nation. Its herd mentality. How do you like the assumption of being brainless? OK, its returning a shopping cart; one little event, but its a symptom of how a person goes through their life too. Pile enough of those little acts together you have one sorry surly existence.

Every time I do some little considerate act I end up feeling better about the day. Do it one million times...that's a lot of feeling better. If I am considerate to someone they are more likely to be considerate of me. I prefer having a pleasant reputation with businesses I deal with year in and year out. Hard-nosed deliberate PITAs usually don't get cut any slack when they might need some. They are expending energy defending rude behavior and probably getting treated rudely as a result. Which is why they end up becoming PITAs in the first place. Self-fulfilling prophesy.

I watched a close relative go through their life becoming more selfish and rude to many people. It infected everything they did. In return they were treated worse and worse. Then they would end up brooding over every little slight. All it did was escalate over time. They ended up assuming no one could be trusted, the world was a terrible place, everyone was going to be mean or a threat. How is that a good way to live?

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-26-2019 at 03:45 PM..

Old 04-26-2019, 03:24 PM

745 posts, read 480,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because they don't want to walk the few extra yards. They're lazy and most of all, they don't care that it affects other people.
Exactly this

Old 04-26-2019, 03:42 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Interesting that they'll walk the equivalent of three quarters of a mile through the aisles of the store with an ever-increasing loaded cart, but are too lazy to move an empty cart a few yards.
That's kind of like women who drive like demons to get to Walmart, and then spend 30 minutes
sitting in the parking lot checking out their face before they go in.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:33 PM

695 posts, read 998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How many carts are left rolling around in parking lots vs. being put away in cart corrals is directly related to the wealth of the surrounding neighborhood.

The same people who leave carts rolling around, put dirty diapers or other trash in the parking lot, refuse to flush the toilet, leave their wadded up paper towel on the sink instead of in the trash can, live in crappy neighborhoods.

The nicer parts of town have this happen much less often - there's kind of a "shooting the finger at the community" mentality where the person doesn't care at all if their cart gets to rolling downhill in the parking lot and broadsides someone's parked car and damages it.

Just don't care.
Some truth to this, though when I shop at Whole Foods, I encounter some of the rudest people of any shopping experience. Mercedes and Caddies and other lux cars are always the ones parked in the handicap spots without the proper plates or hang tag. Carts are left all over the WF parking lot where I shop, and the surrounding community is a nice area. I think it's the "E" word: entitlement.

But at other stores, such as Walmart in sketchier neighborhoods, I am frequently panhandled in the lot, and carts are all over the place. Though I should add that the panhandlers also "work" the parking lots by Whole Foods; they go where the money is....

Old 04-26-2019, 04:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,439,065 times
I'm even grateful when someone is considerate enough to return it to the nearest grassy island. I'll take it!

Old 04-26-2019, 04:46 PM

695 posts, read 998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's assuming brick and mortar grocery stores survive Amazon home delivery.
Just an aside: I've been in Whole Foods where I've seen the workers pushing around carts with bags and scanners, filling orders for the Amazon home delivery. Personally, I would not use that service for anything other than non-produce packaged goods.

I've seen on many occasions the way these folks throw produce into the bags, damaging the leaves or bruising the fruit. They also don't check "sell by" dates, so you can be sure you aren't getting the freshest item of packaged produce, just the item that they can quickly grab. Very rough handling on groceries in general, in my experience watching them move around the store.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
One of my pet peeves is pulling into a parking spot at Costco, Walmart, grocery store, etc. and seeing a shopping cart sitting in part of the space. At Costco, people leave their carts all over the parking lot. They will pop the front wheels over the curb or just leave them in the space next to their car. All the while, the cart return is just yards away from their spot. On more than one occasion I have seen individuals leave their cart in the spot next to them and have approached them. I'll usually say "are you just going to leave the cart there?" One woman told me that a loose cart hit her cart once, so her revenge is to just leave her cart. I'll usually point out where the cart return is and offer to return it for them. "The cart return is right there, I'll return it for you if its too far away."

I consider these people lazy, but is there some other reason why they would just leave a cart in the space next to them when the cart return is just a short distance away? They are above such tasks? It seems inconsiderate to me. I was always raised to have common courtesy, as most people are, but this habit seems to go against that belief.
Sometimes I have parked it with the wheels on the curb. Sometimes I have taken it to the cart return. Sometimes I have used the cart inside (Sort as a walking aide) and then as I was leaving, I just shoved it in the entrance and let someone else have it.

I really think that having the cart set up like Aldi's would end a lot of that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology