Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:22 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I usually don't react this way... I usually just ignore it and move on... But she just pissed me off so bad that I had to say something. If I would have just said, "OK" and walked away, she would have won and did that to another person. Some people need to be put in their place.
I understand how you feel..like why should SHE get the last word, etc., etc., etc.

HOWEVER...

in these scary COVID times, just let things go before they escalate & someone gets hit/slapped/spit on/coughed on, which is exactly what happened to you.

Common sense should tell us that people are scared of this virus, tired of being cooped up at home, don't want to wear masks, they're breaking down psychologically/emotionally, also they're more hateful of other races due to the whole Geroge Floyd thing & protesting, yet we all still have to do ALL our usual activities (work, household chores, etc.) so most people are a LOT more on edge (frustrated, impatient, etc.) & mad all around.

The priority especially these days FOR EVERYONE should be to:

- not be imposing
- just do your thing & get outta there
- don't act entitled
- mind your own business
- wear your mask & keep your distance
- don't make a fuss or whine
- don't stoop to the other person's level if they act odd/crazy

Old 07-12-2020, 05:34 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I understand how you feel..like why should SHE get the last word, etc., etc., etc.

HOWEVER...

in these scary COVID times, just let things go before they escalate & someone gets hit/slapped/spit on/coughed on, which is exactly what happened to you.

Common sense should tell us that people are scared of this virus, tired of being cooped up at home, don't want to wear masks, they're breaking down psychologically/emotionally, also they're more hateful of other races due to the whole Geroge Floyd thing & protesting, yet we all still have to do ALL our usual activities (work, household chores, etc.) so most people are a LOT more on edge (frustrated, impatient, etc.) & mad all around.

The priority especially these days FOR EVERYONE should be to:

- not be imposing
- just do your thing & get outta there
- don't act entitled
- mind your own business
- wear your mask & keep your distance
- don't make a fuss or whine
- don't stoop to the other person's level if they act odd/crazy
Yeah...I know. I'm the type who usually just ignores it and moves on...but that lady just really hit a nerve and I reacted. In the past, I've been a pushover and allowed people to walk all over me and I just got tired of it. I know this may sound bad, but telling a person to [Bleep] for the first time actually felt good...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2020 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 05:38 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
I'm not going to apologize to someone like her... She was a nasty person and continued to harass me... I wasn't going to let her get away with it..
Did she learn her lesson? Do you think it will make her less likely to act as an @ss next time someone is in her way? What did you gain by not letting her "get away with it?" I strongly suspect you carried her in your head long after she walked away and forgot you.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 4,540,768 times
I am purposely trying to be quick in stores and not get in people’s way. I think it’s common courtesy because of the virus.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:45 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
...I know this may sound bad, but telling a person to [Bleep] for the first time actually felt good...
Again, I hear ya & understand. But if that meant NOT getting coughed on if only you hadn't cussed, it's still not worth it. And no way did SHE learn any lesson from this. Some people are just stubborn bullies & will never change as long as they live. You don't want to be like this 70 something y.o. lady having a d@mn temper tantrum on the floor in the store like the [Bleep] that she is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUeIBQoQCU

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-13-2020 at 04:54 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 05:49 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I am purposely trying to be quick in stores and not get in people’s way. I think it’s common courtesy because of the virus.
I agree. I'm trying to be even more courteous because of the virus. I know people are being pushed to the edge. Many have lost their jobs, have their kids and husbands/wives home all the time, many have no money, others don't know if they're going to be evicted and have to live in their cars...life has changed for millions of otherwise kind, everyday Americans.

I was taught to always think about what another person may have gone through in their lives when one of us sees them acting erratically/badly/wrongly, etc. In other words, you haven't walked in their shoes. You don't know what life has thrown at them, to make them react the way they do. React with empathy.

OP, try thinking of those things next time you feel the urge to contribute to what ended up being an horrible encounter. You'll end up feeling better about yourself with a more understanding, forgiving tone. Hope you don't get sick. Stay well everyone.

Old 07-12-2020, 05:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
What do you mean no? I was there first and do have the right to take my time... I was wearing a mask and she could have gotten right next to me and picked out what she wanted.... That is absolutely no excuse to cough on someone.. it's ignorant.
No, she couldn't have. Most stores require patrons maintain 6 ft. of distance between one another. You don't seem to understand how this works. It's about more than mere mask-wearing.

And what do you mean, she coughed on you? Did she remove her mask, and cough on you? If so, you could have reported her to staff. And asked staff it it's ok for patrons to take their time deciding what to buy, when people are lined up behind them waiting their turn, while you were at it.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
I usually don't react this way... I usually just ignore it and move on... But she just pissed me off so bad that I had to say something. If I would have just said, "OK" and walked away, she would have won and did that to another person. Some people need to be put in their place.
You've mentioned this numerous times....that you were also bullied and were a victim.

You both acted like children.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, she couldn't have. Most stores require patrons maintain 6 ft. of distance between one another. You don't seem to understand how this works. It's about more than mere mask-wearing.

And what do you mean, she coughed on you? Did she remove her mask, and cough on you? If so, you could have reported her to staff. And asked staff it it's ok for patrons to take their time deciding what to buy, when people are lined up behind them waiting their turn, while you were at it.
No, you're supposed to wear a mask when you are unable to maintain six feet... I hear it all the time on the intercom at the grocery stores...

Yes, she removed her mask and coughed on me. I told the cashier and he apologized for her behavior. And they're not going to have a rule only allowing customers so much time to shop... it would never be enforced.

Old 07-12-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You've mentioned this numerous times....that you were also bullied and were a victim.

You both acted bizarrely.
Well, I don't know what you want me to tell you. She was trying to bully me and I wasn't having it... I really don't care that you think I acted bizarrely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology