Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 01:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 367,114 times

Advertisements

My life hasn’t really changed all that much. I’ve always been a family-oriented homebody. I garden, I cook, I read, I walk around my neighborhood for exercise, I call to check in on my parents, and I spend time with my spouse and kids. Other than ordering groceries rather than going into the store, it’s pretty much normal around here.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 AM

855 posts, read 624,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
BUT I am following the protocol. Just won't live in fear is the difference between me and some people I know.
That is key -- the fearmongering, which is completely
unnecessary.

Not to mention it causes stress, which, in turn,
compromises the immune system. If I want to get
sick, then I'll start toking from the fear-bong being
passed around.

And I refuse to treat everyone around me like a leper
with the melodramatic flair I've seen periodically. Such
drama would be put to better use in community theater
(whenever that reopens). Since this is a pandemic and
not bad acid-trip, I'll adjust my behavior accordingly.

-

Old 07-30-2020, 09:51 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
Well said. Only thing I disagree with is beaches should still be open. I've been taking all precautions, but without the excessive worry some people have. Maybe that means I'm not taking it seriously enough. BUT I am following the protocol. Just won't live in fear is the difference between me and some people I know.
Unfortunately, while it is safer to be outside, people crowd beaches and don't social distance. Public facilities can be crowded and I'm sure they're not properly sanitized between patrons. One of my favorite beaches in Indiana has changing rooms, a place to sit and eat inside, a few trucks selling food, and limited stalls in the bathrooms. Imagine hundreds of people coming and going, especially in tight places.

Now, one size does not fit all. Some beaches not in hot zones may be perfectly safe, but, I'm not going to those in Indiana or Chicago right now. They're closed for good reason.

Old 07-30-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Wonderfully written but unfortunately you are trying to educate an average at best American who we all know after Covid examples has the brains of a pea and a vocabulary that consists of " My Rights and Moonshine. "

There are only two hopes going forward.

1.Intelligent people will resort to some sort of force to make these people comply or
2. The dumb and clueless will die off to save those who practiced safety protocols.
I hear ya. You can't get low information people to read because they want to believe what they want to believe. Maybe with Republican Herman Cain's passing some Covidiot Republican's who perpetuate this anti mask rhetoric and defy common sense for political gain will finally stand up and take notice? Cain caught it at Trump's Covid super spreader rally in Tulsa just a few weeks ago. I'm sure Gohmert is shaking in his shoes right now. Stubborn and stupid are lethal combinations, and more people will pay with their lives with that mentality.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I got one more.

3. "Dumb and clueless" people will build up herd immunity naturally, with no damage to mental health. "Intelligent" people will continue to blindly self-quarantine, thus actually hurting their immune system.
Oh lordy. Ignorance is not bliss. Did you not read what I wrote about my therapist friend and her repeat customer in the hospital for a second time after being discharged for Covid months ago? Research RSV. It's a respiratory virus that nobody has herd immunity for because your antibodies drop off and you can catch it again. I caught it at least three times that I'm sure of because of doing nebulizer therapy on sick kids, and yes, I wore a mask. It was a surgical mask which is not adequate to protect against the small micron size of RSV, just as they are not adequate to protect against Covid. If Covid is like RSV and you can catch it again? I shudder to think of that nightmare.

Herd immunity is best obtained through vaccine, not by catching Covid. Vaccines will not kill, but Covid will. You might survive it once, catch it again, and die. We simply don't know the long term effects of Covid. So far there have been two lung transplants because of Covid. There is evidence of long term damage to organs and it is now listed as another virus that causes myocarditis according to the Mayo Clinic.

Being reckless and ignorant about this highly contagious SARS virus is not what we need right now. It's prolonging the damage. Stop being stubborn and be part of the solution.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:13 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Herd immunity is best obtained through vaccine, not by catching Covid. Vaccines will not kill, but Covid will. You might survive it once, catch it again, and die. We simply don't know the long term effects of Covid. So far there have been two lung transplants because of Covid. There is evidence of long term damage to organs and it is now listed as another virus that causes myocarditis according to the Mayo Clinic.

Being reckless and ignorant about this highly contagious SARS virus is not what we need right now. It's prolonging the damage. Stop being stubborn and be part of the solution.
As much as I'd like to answer that properly, I'll catch another infraction for doing so. So, you do you, and I'll do me.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:27 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, while it is safer to be outside, people crowd beaches and don't social distance. Public facilities can be crowded and I'm sure they're not properly sanitized between patrons. One of my favorite beaches in Indiana has changing rooms, a place to sit and eat inside, a few trucks selling food, and limited stalls in the bathrooms. Imagine hundreds of people coming and going, especially in tight places.

Now, one size does not fit all. Some beaches not in hot zones may be perfectly safe, but, I'm not going to those in Indiana or Chicago right now. They're closed for good reason.
My husband and I go for walks along the American river, a popular spot for rafting. After they lifted the outdoor recreation rules we saw at least 50 rafts tied together with 2-4 people per raft the people were climbing from one raft to another hugging, dancing, drinking. I'm not saying that caused the surge in cases here but it had to have helped. We've also have a Ukraine evangelical church congregation who when banned from having services in their mega church (where 80 were infected, one died during a single service) didn't miss a a single sunday service; they started renting out offices and warehouses and having clandestine services there. I spoke to one of them and they said "whether we get the virus or not is up to God, if he will it there is no way to prevent it" /sigh

Old 07-30-2020, 10:37 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
Quote:

I live in Surf City USA SoCal and I can't go to the beach which is within one mile from me because there is a bunch of Neanderthals walking around maskless and not social distancing. Maybe one of them should offer to help pay my rent since they are imposing restrictions on me ?

Meanwhile things are getting ugly in Florida.

FLORIDA MAN ACCUSED OF FIRING GUN IN HOTEL LOBBY OVER LACK OF SOCIAL DISTANCING

By Kenneth Garger

July 30, 2020 | 1:30am

Douglas MarksMiami-Dade County Department of Corrections

A Florida man was arrested for allegedly firing a gun inside the lobby of a Miami Beach hotel in response to a family flouting social distancing norms, a report said.

Douglas Marks, 29, is accused of squeezing off the rounds at the Crystal Beach Suites on Monday night, the Miami Herald reported, citing police.

Marks confronted a mother-son duo sitting on a lobby couch and told them, “You all aren’t social distancing,” according to an arrest report obtained by the paper.

The mother, Veronica Pena, and her son ignored Marks and remained in place, the report said.

Marks then allegedly said “Let me take care of them, I have two people not following directions,” before firing several shots. It’s unclear who Marks was speaking to.

Nobody was injured in the shooting, which Marks admitted to, but claimed to fire “four warning shots” because he was being followed by somebody, the paper reported.

Marks was hit with several weapons charges.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:48 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,431,701 times
Quote:
Oh lordy. Ignorance is not bliss. Did you not read what I wrote about my therapist friend and her repeat customer in the hospital for a second time after being discharged for Covid months ago? Research RSV. It's a respiratory virus that nobody has herd immunity for because your antibodies drop off and you can catch it again. I caught it at least three times that I'm sure of because of doing nebulizer therapy on sick kids, and yes, I wore a mask. It was a surgical mask which is not adequate to protect against the small micron size of RSV, just as they are not adequate to protect against Covid. If Covid is like RSV and you can catch it again? I shudder to think of that nightmare.

YOU should have your own thread or forum. You obviously know what you are talking about.

I pity the folks who read your posts and disregard them as psycho babble.

Did you ever imagine trying to explain something like this to another American and getting the responses you get ? You would think you were telling them to surrender all their earnings to the IRS. People are trying to save lives and they are doing everything they can to end them.

It's like suddenly realizing you live on a planet with a different species and that you have been fooled into thinking you were one of them.

A new movement or political party could very well stem from this :

" The I see EVERYTHING VERY CLEARLY party , while the rest are squirming to find their reading glasses."

Old 07-30-2020, 12:46 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
I hear ya. You can't get low information people to read because they want to believe what they want to believe. Maybe with Republican Herman Cain's passing some Covidiot Republican's who perpetuate this anti mask rhetoric and defy common sense for political gain will finally stand up and take notice? Cain caught it at Trump's Covid super spreader rally in Tulsa just a few weeks ago. I'm sure Gohmert is shaking in his shoes right now. Stubborn and stupid are lethal combinations, and more people will pay with their lives with that mentality.
Don’t put all this on the rally, the protesters and rioters are just as much at fault for spreading the virus and is it %100 sure that he caught it at the rally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology