Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,524,778 times

Advertisements

We are living much of our lives normally in my state. Mostly not wearing masks, almost all businesses open, albeit with numbers restrictions in clubs and restaurants. Kids are in school, I go shopping when needed. No shortages of essentials but the supply chain from China is causing some empty shelves when looking for things like small appliances and linen.

However it is the part of our lives which is on hold that I do miss. We have just cancelled a holiday, just interstate, as that state partially closed the borders again to ours. We have now cancelled three holidays this year. Theatres can open but many are not because they have not been able to rehearse. Our local pool is not resuming aqua groups until the spring. My library bookclub is still only on Zoom, which I loathe , even though the library is open.

But I cannot choose to start participating in these things as the restrictions are out of my hands completely.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,607,136 times
Until I can revive my compromised immune system, I am being cautious: I go out for exercise/walking my dog, and medical appointments; wearing a mask (my apartment complex has COVID19 protocols, including masks on outside our apartments, and one party in the elevator at a time0. I am currently trying to figure out whether or not I should travel (drive) to Vermont for my annual time share week in several weeks, or do a 'staycation' at home.

My immune system has "some" functionality, according to my oncologist; but it is impaired. I am taking chemotherapy pills and will probably do so for the next 18 months or so. I am told that my immune system will revive afterwards.

In addition to being immunocompromised, I am in two other risk groups - approaching 65, and 'morbidly obese' (though barely). Thanks to not going out much (i.e. late night junk food quests to the nearby 7-Eleven), I have lost 13 lbs. since the end of March; and I hope to continue, which should get me out of the 'morbidly' sub-category of obese in about two or three months, I believe.

So I get my groceries via Instacart, and am mostly at home watching TV and fooling around on the Internet and also reading. I sometimes feel rather penned in, but considering that taking greater risks could land me penned up in the hospital with a ventilator, I'm okay. I think about how much worse people had it in medieval times - trying to cope with the Black Plague with prayer as practically the only remedy - or the 1918 Influenza Epidemic. Things could be much worse.

If an effective vaccine for the virus appears and could work for me, I might be able to fully rejoin the world sooner. But I remain skeptical that an effective vaccine will appear in less than a year...

Old 07-28-2020, 01:05 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I sometimes feel rather penned in, but considering that taking greater risks could land me penned up in the hospital with a ventilator, I'm okay. I think about how much worse people had it in medieval times - trying to cope with the Black Plague with prayer as practically the only remedy - or the 1918 Influenza Epidemic. Things could be much worse.

If an effective vaccine for the virus appears and could work for me, I might be able to fully rejoin the world sooner. But I remain skeptical that an effective vaccine will appear in less than a year...

This is a great outlook. Thank You for sharing this with us. Your quote resonates with me.

Old 07-28-2020, 03:30 PM

740 posts, read 457,226 times
I'm living my life but I treat everyone like they are zombies/walkers like the TV show WALKING DEAD. Anyone can infect you.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I take this seriously... seriously skeptical. If this were true, I'd have gotten it by now, given the risks I take by breaching social distancing (with like-minded people only). It's been since March, and still no 'Rona.
Okay, lets talk about my experience in health care. I worked as a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years, which meant I did a whole lot of nebulizer therapy. People would come into the ER complaining of not being able to breathe. We won't even talk about sick kids, they're cesspools of germs.

I can't tell you how many times I was in close quarters with someone with no PPE giving a nebulizer treatment to someone that was in isolation the next day for TB. Our hospital did contact tracing of everyone who took care of that patient, and we were hauled in for testing. Don't ask me how or why, but I never converted to positive. There is now a resistant strain of TB out there. It's rare here, (about 200,000 cases a year of T.B. in all forms) but, another therapist friend caught it and spent months on home IV's and a year at home. Why did she get sick and I didn't? Who knows. T.B. has an infection rate of 2.8 cases per 100,000. In 2018 T.B. killed 1.5 million world wide. Right now it is the leading cause of of infectious disease across the globe.

Lets look at Covid. It has killed over 662,000 world wide in less than a year. Do we see areas of our country with over 1000 new infections a day from T.B.? No we don't, but we see that with Covid. Right now we are seeing a 9/11 death toll every 3 days. Right now over 1,000 American's are dying a day from Covid. Do we see refrigerator trucks pulling into hospital parking lots in hard hit areas to take bodies because the morgues can't keep up because of T.B., or is it because of Covid?

Look, you can live in la la land, you can believe only what you want to believe, until someone close to you gets it. Will you take this seriously then?

You are part of the problem right now. What makes Covid so insidious is the asymptomatic carriers that feel fine and spread it. Covid is airborne and more contagious than T.B. Covid is novel, meaning new. We still don't know the long term effects, or if you can get reinfected. One of my therapist friends has a repeat customer in her hospital that survived it once, was discharged, and is now back again testing positive and sick again.

You may very well catch it, and be fine. You may wind up like that Covidiot 30 year old that went to a Covid party thinking it was a hoax and confessing on his death bed that he made a mistake. Do you think he'd love a do over? I'm sure.

You can deny the numbers, you can rationalize that your fun is more important, or you can be part of the solution. You may save a child's life, a seniors life, your life, a friends life. You can help stop the spread so we all can get back to a normal life.

Playing Russian Roulette with a highly contagious SARS virus? Not smart. Research is smart. Koolaid rots the brain.

The numbers? Who cares about the numbers? Look around and see the reality of what this virus has done. Can you go to the movies? Nope. Our beaches are now closing because it's spreading like wild fire again. Baseball? Games cancelled because of so many infected players, and these people have the best health care and testing on the planet. Don't worry about the numbers. Look at reality right in front of your face. Be responsible.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:30 AM

793 posts, read 331,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Okay, lets talk about my experience in health care. I worked as a Respiratory Therapist for 25 years, which meant I did a whole lot of nebulizer therapy. People would come into the ER complaining of not being able to breathe. We won't even talk about sick kids, they're cesspools of germs.

I can't tell you how many times I was in close quarters with someone with no PPE giving a nebulizer treatment to someone that was in isolation the next day for TB. Our hospital did contact tracing of everyone who took care of that patient, and we were hauled in for testing. Don't ask me how or why, but I never converted to positive. There is now a resistant strain of TB out there. It's rare here, (about 200,000 cases a year of T.B. in all forms) but, another therapist friend caught it and spent months on home IV's and a year at home. Why did she get sick and I didn't? Who knows. T.B. has an infection rate of 2.8 cases per 100,000. In 2018 T.B. killed 1.5 million world wide. Right now it is the leading cause of of infectious disease across the globe.

Lets look at Covid. It has killed over 662,000 world wide in less than a year. Do we see areas of our country with over 1000 new infections a day from T.B.? No we don't, but we see that with Covid. Right now we are seeing a 9/11 death toll every 3 days. Right now over 1,000 American's are dying a day from Covid. Do we see refrigerator trucks pulling into hospital parking lots in hard hit areas to take bodies because the morgues can't keep up because of T.B., or is it because of Covid?

Look, you can live in la la land, you can believe only what you want to believe, until someone close to you gets it. Will you take this seriously then?

You are part of the problem right now. What makes Covid so insidious is the asymptomatic carriers that feel fine and spread it. Covid is airborne and more contagious than T.B. Covid is novel, meaning new. We still don't know the long term effects, or if you can get reinfected. One of my therapist friends has a repeat customer in her hospital that survived it once, was discharged, and is now back again testing positive and sick again.

You may very well catch it, and be fine. You may wind up like that Covidiot 30 year old that went to a Covid party thinking it was a hoax and confessing on his death bed that he made a mistake. Do you think he'd love a do over? I'm sure.

You can deny the numbers, you can rationalize that your fun is more important, or you can be part of the solution. You may save a child's life, a seniors life, your life, a friends life. You can help stop the spread so we all can get back to a normal life.

Playing Russian Roulette with a highly contagious SARS virus? Not smart. Research is smart. Koolaid rots the brain.

The numbers? Who cares about the numbers? Look around and see the reality of what this virus has done. Can you go to the movies? Nope. Our beaches are now closing because it's spreading like wild fire again. Baseball? Games cancelled because of so many infected players, and these people have the best health care and testing on the planet. Don't worry about the numbers. Look at reality right in front of your face. Be responsible.
Well said. Only thing I disagree with is beaches should still be open. I've been taking all precautions, but without the excessive worry some people have. Maybe that means I'm not taking it seriously enough. BUT I am following the protocol. Just won't live in fear is the difference between me and some people I know.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:43 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I'm living my life but I treat everyone like they are zombies/walkers like the TV show WALKING DEAD. Anyone can infect you.
Actually, it's more like "The Thing" (1982) where you never knew if a fellow Antarctic researcher was still human or possessed by the alien Thing. I like the dark ending, where the last two survivors resign themselves to that fact, and enjoy a scotch for one last time.

This movie has become a running joke among my rational-minded friends. That is, every time we socialize, shake hands, or hug, one us could be Corona'ed, like the movie characters. But we accept it, and prioritize our mental health (which is endorsed by NAMI) over CDC's agenda.

Those who are afraid continue staying home, and never cross our paths anyway.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-29-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

Wonderfully written but unfortunately you are trying to educate an average at best American who we all know after Covid examples has the brains of a pea and a vocabulary that consists of " My Rights and Moonshine. "

There are only two hopes going forward.

1.Intelligent people will resort to some sort of force to make these people comply or
2. The dumb and clueless will die off to save those who practiced safety protocols.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Wonderfully written but unfortunately you are trying to educate an average at best American who we all know after Covid examples has the brains of a pea and a vocabulary that consists of " My Rights and Moonshine. "

There are only two hopes going forward.

1.Intelligent people will resort to some sort of force to make these people comply or
2. The dumb and clueless will die off to save those who practiced safety protocols.
I got one more.

3. "Dumb and clueless" people will build up herd immunity naturally, with no damage to mental health. "Intelligent" people will continue to blindly self-quarantine, thus actually hurting their immune system.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-29-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I got one more.

3. "Dumb and clueless" people will build up herd immunity naturally, with no damage to mental health. "Intelligent" people will continue to blindly self-quarantine, thus actually hurting their immune system.
NOT if said PEOPLE exercise ,eat well, get fresh air and sleep well. All of which I am doing while avoiding rednecks with personal agendas.

How are things going for the "herd" in Sweden ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology