Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When people think it's all a hoax against trump, I wonder how and why Italy and Spain and France got in on it, too.
Yes, there is a growing list of people who think this is a hoax, and have unfortunately paid the price:

https://www.alternet.org/2020/07/ant...gets-covid-19/

Old 07-27-2020, 07:15 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Understood.

It is now 4:30am and I am waiting to buy groceries at 6am. I NEVER WAKE UP AT 4:30am but I am all wound up about having to buy fruits and vegetables and getting out of the supermarket quickly. It pisses me off.
Yes, I was doing that at the beginning of the pandemic. Except the grocery store is down the street so I only had to wake up at 5:30am to get there at 6am . It is stressful and worrisome. Even getting there early, there were a few times when store employees were not following social distancing and didn't have masks on, and the then aisles make social distancing hard. The whole situation is stressful. I found out that the store's delivery service is great, so now I order online (they just drop it off outside your door), so I no longer have to stress out.

Going to the store or anywhere is an anxiety-ridden experience. You have to plan ahead and be alert. Those are things we never used to have to think about.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:36 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
All that stress and worrying about grocery shopping is 99% self-inflicted. I didn't worry even back in April. Heck, I've read about people meeting their Tinder date in a Walmart. If someone believes the MSM, that's on them. Basic precautions are more than enough. The most I did is mask up in the store, and wash my hands after getting home.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:58 AM

1,093 posts, read 581,235 times
I am in the same mindset as OP. It's depressing that we not only have to live with the restrictions, but we have zero idea when things might be allowed to happen again.

I've been doing a few things within reason. I've gone to a couple of outdoor dining restaurants, some walking meetups, back to church, and one outdoor concert. One of my favorite activities is shut down for God knows how long and another has been moved online which is nowhere near as much fun. I wear a mask whenever necessary and follow all social distancing rules.

Although the virus itself concerns me, I've been far more mentally affected by the disruptions. I don't deal well with uncertainty.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:09 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Even getting there early, there were a few times when store employees were not following social distancing and didn't have masks on, and the then aisles make social distancing hard. The whole situation is stressful.
This morning as I was waiting outside for the market to open someone was let out who had apparently been shopping....no mask and he smiled arrogantly at me when he left the store. I am tempted to Yelp about it but don't want it traced back to me and get me blackballed.

Same deal with employees looking at me weird for covering up so much. Imagine delivering groceries to various supermarkets during a pandemic .....and NOT covering up. The situation is ridiculous . It's like Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber Part 3,4,5,6,7 ......>

Old 07-27-2020, 08:45 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
I've been living my life as usual through all of this. I never wear a mask and have not been stopped by anyone, including Costco.

I've worked steadily through all of this as well, I've not seen a single coworker wear a mask either.

Then again, I live in a county that said they weren't playing the Governors game.

My county Sheriff told people not to call about masks because they weren't enforcing it...same Sheriff who had my CCW in my mailbox within a week of applying!
When I turned in my app the clerk said the Sheriff wants us armed so he will process it quickly...and did!

Old 07-27-2020, 09:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
Pelosi calls it the Trump virus. Explain that. Democrats are using this and twisting it to make it look like our death numbers are higher than they are and that it's Trump's fault. You're gonna sit there and tell me I'm wrong? It doesn't matter to the Dems whats happening in other countries. They say we have the most infections in the world, yet we also have much more testing. Sounds like a narrative against Trump to me.
Sounds like trained seal low information rhetoric to me. The Democrats are not reporting the deaths, the hospitals are. Why do you think Trump muzzled the CDC and is having the numbers reported to his yes man in HHS? Oh I don't know, maybe to try and hide the numbers? When the CDC was reporting that our country will see severe disruption to our daily lives because of Covid, Trump was gas lighting and lying that it was just 15 cases soon to be zero. Trump fired that CDC official that told the truth.

You might remember when Alax Azar was head of HHS and Trump sidelined him and appointed Pence to head the Covid response. Azar resigned after his travel grifter scandal was reported. All the best people, right. After he left his position went to his deputy Brian Harrison. Who's that? You know the one with minimal public health experience and that very experienced laqbradoodle breeder.

Business Insider: "HHS chief Alex Azar chose a former labradoodle breeder with minimal public health experience to lead the department's coronavirus response." His limited experience includes heath care PR. He's the perfect yes man and spin doctor hired to make the numbers magically tilt in Trump's favor.

We lost Peter Urbanowicz who had decades of experience in public health. So who would you rather have in that position? Urbanowicz or Harrison? Do you think the Democrats pushed out Urbanowicz or do you think Trump did? Do you think the Democrats disbanded or pandemic response team in 2018 or do you think Trump did? Do you think the Democrats down sized our CDC office in Beijing losing key epidemiologists just weeks before the pandemic or do you think Trump did?

Do you think the Democrats cooked up a pandemic to destroy Trump or do you think the political fall out for this clown show of unqualified yes men responding to this pandemic rests on Trump's shoulders?

Stop drinking the koolaid and look at some facts for a change. Want to go to Europe on vacation? They're doing much better than we are right now. Oh wait, you can't because our infection rate is out of control. How did the Democrats convince Europe to close their borders to us? Mexico? The Caribbean?

This cult like devotion to a con man that can do no wrong? Disturbing.

Read Politico: "Inside the pandemic playbook Trump ignored."
Politico: " Trump team failed to follow the NSC's pandemic playbook."

Read outside of your partisan bubble, that is unless you've been gas lighted to the point of no return.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, I'd rather let Darwin win than live under a perpetual quarantine for the rest of my life. Even New Hampshire's state motto says "life free or die". Besides, I've been breaching social distancing (with fellow breachers, obviously) for 2 months by now. Not going to actual 'Rona parties, but enough to freak out the Biden voters. Still no 'Rona for me. It may not be a hoax per se, but it ain't the boogeyman it's made out to be.

I put on an act of being afraid when I need to avoid social ostracism, but for the most part, I'm as afraid of 'Rona as I am of the annual flu. I'm basically living a normal life now. The only difference is that I eat strictly on the patio when dining out with friends, and I mask up when visiting elderly family members and keep my visits brief. On which note, one unintended positive side-effect of the 'Rona, is that it created an al-fresco dining culture in the US like the one in Europe, which never really existed before.
Oh you young people You're the ones spreading this now. Our neighbor's son caught it doing exactly what you're doing. You may be one of the lucky asymptomatic carriers that has no symptoms, yet, spreads it to someone else that may die from it. You may be lucky and never do either, but you are playing Russian Roulette with your life and those around you. No one can predict who will or won't catch this. You are now part of the problem. I'm sure that moron 30 year old that went to a Covid party because he thought it was a hoax and died from it shared your same mentality.

Maybe read a little more and care about your fellow human beings and a little less about your selfish needs? Be part of the solution. This bug is serious.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:55 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I'm taking basic precautions like wearing a mask, distancing, extra sanitizing, etc., but I'm not leaving in fear.

For the most part, when going out to eat or for a beer, I've been doing that outdoors. Indoor dining has been pretty rare the last few weeks. I try to avoid places like Walmart on peak weekend days.

I haven't had a long vacation this summer, but did a weekend at Myrtle Beach and have been on weekend trips the previous two weekends.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Sounds like trained seal low information rhetoric to me. The Democrats are not reporting the deaths, the hospitals are. Why do you think Trump muzzled the CDC and is having the numbers reported to his yes man in HHS? Oh I don't know, maybe to try and hide the numbers? When the CDC was reporting that our country will see severe disruption to our daily lives because of Covid, Trump was gas lighting and lying that it was just 15 cases soon to be zero. Trump fired that CDC official that told the truth.
It may not have been the best course of action, but it had to be done. The CDC and its lackeys were, and still are, inflating the numbers like a helium balloon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology