Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2020, 12:24 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Sounds like the same type of redneck problems I am having in California. Now we top the list of most infected.

I live in a white affluent area where I would assume most people are educated .....enough to own a 700K house but that isn't the case.

The dumbest people I have every met in my life are 50% of the Americans currently living here. The scene is pathetic.
My buddy relocated to Oceanside not long after high school, and remains there to this day (he's 35 now). I inquired with him several times about what it's like to live in SoCal, as there are some obvious attractions. Every time I asked, he'd lead off with some variation of 'There are a lot of idiots out here'....

Old 07-24-2020, 12:40 AM

5,490 posts, read 3,931,751 times
ohio peasant's 'revenge of the McMansion' post resonates with me, as I envy the people who claim they're living life close to normally. All of my favorite activities are either still prohibited or altered to the point where I have little motivation to engage in them. Summer is normally by far my favorite time of the year (note my location), and summer was cancelled this year, as far as I'm concerned. I am 34 and have no known risk factors, so I feel as this is complete self-sacrifice for the sake of the old, the infirm, and the unfortunate statistical anomalies (I of course could find myself in that last group--there is no way of knowing in advance). I've gone to my local university nearly every day for the past four months to read and take solo walks and generally feel as if I'm serving one more day of a prison term of unknown duration. Life has been terrible and there is no real end in sight given the unknown vaccine timeline and the uncertain logistics of eventual vaccine distribution/administration--high-priority groups will get it first--how long will it take for all X hundred million Americans who aren't staunchly anti-vax to receive a vaccination? Another concern is that antibody levels tail off severely after 90 days, and so it may be that quarterly vaccinations will be required or recommended for the indefinite future? I read an article the other day where an octogenarian vaccine researcher out of UPenn was quoted as saying (paraphrased), 'Yeah, we really have no idea how vaccines actually work--we don't know why some work for the short-term and others work for life'. The article is from 2019, but the authority in question has been studying vaccines since 1957, and even after 62 years of study, that's his verdict. (IIRC his name is Stanley Plotkin--just confirmed via google). So there are lots of uncertainties that aren't about to be cleared up anytime soon. I don't foresee life returning to something like normal until 2022 and that is a terrible thought to entertain given how much I'm struggling now, psychologically.

Old 07-24-2020, 12:56 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
ohio peasant's 'revenge of the McMansion' post resonates with me, as I envy the people who claim they're living life close to normally. All of my favorite activities are either still prohibited or altered to the point where I have little motivation to engage in them. Summer is normally by far my favorite time of the year (note my location), and summer was cancelled this year, as far as I'm concerned. I am 34 and have no known risk factors, so I feel as this is complete self-sacrifice for the sake of the old, the infirm, and the unfortunate statistical anomalies (I of course could find myself in that last group--there is no way of knowing in advance). I've gone to my local university nearly every day for the past four months to read and take solo walks and generally feel as if I'm serving one more day of a prison term of unknown duration. Life has been terrible and there is no real end in sight given the unknown vaccine timeline and the uncertain logistics of eventual vaccine distribution/administration--high-priority groups will get it first--how long will it take for all X hundred million Americans who aren't staunchly anti-vax to receive a vaccination? Another concern is that antibody levels tail off severely after 90 days, and so it may be that quarterly vaccinations will be required or recommended for the indefinite future? I read an article the other day where an octogenarian vaccine researcher out of UPenn was quoted as saying (paraphrased), 'Yeah, we really have no idea how vaccines actually work--we don't know why some work for the short-term and others work for life'. The article is from 2019, but the authority in question has been studying vaccines since 1957, and even after 62 years of study, that's his verdict. (IIRC his name is Stanley Plotkin--just confirmed via google). So there are lots of uncertainties that aren't about to be cleared up anytime soon. I don't foresee life returning to something like normal until 2022 and that is a terrible thought to entertain given how much I'm struggling now, psychologically.
I tried giving you another rep point but I wasn't allowed.

Thank You for posting your concerns. I think they resonate with many people on here and that alone helps people relate to the experience.

I hope you see your way through this ok. It is getting to me as well. For the first 3 month even I was just relaxed reading and exercising etc. but as this drags on the prison term connotation hits a core nerve with me. However to be fair (although not our fault) people have been doing everything they can to continue the spread of this virus. There is no other outcome under those consequences. I am waiting for someone to stand up and lead for real, get on TV and break things down then do whatever needs to be done to enforce it. Then maybe there might be hope for the near future.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:19 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,656,423 times
There are still things we can do for ourselves to stave off boredom and avoid the "prison" feeling....go to a park or hiking trail, swim at an open-area beach where you can be safely away from others, order take-out from your favorite restaurants (or in some areas, bars) even if you can't dine-in like you used to, etc.
Not sure about everyone else, but my grandparents lived through the Great Depression and WW2...there was a lot of sacrifice (voluntary and otherwise) in those years. I figure we can do a year or two for the betterment of humanity, we've just become too comfortable and spoiled for it to be second-nature to do so.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:57 AM

144 posts, read 81,102 times
It's difficult to live like this, but I already got used to it. I decided to do some exercises at home, so I keep doing that everyday, I wear masks and I am pretty okay with them, I order food so I organize a "dinner out" on the weekends.
Of course our lives changed, but a lot of people can't live like this... Just chill and live the moment, you will remember this for many many years

Old 07-24-2020, 04:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Yes, but the "anomalies" are what is scary. There have been 20 and 30 year olds young and healthy, who went partying on spring break who have at their death bed in the ICU said they wish they would have taken this seriously. While the mortality rate is not very high for younger people, there have been plenty hospitalized by it, and there's no telling the long term damage. And if someone young got it and recovered, and got it again, it could be fatal.

So while you say you are self-sacrificing for the old, I don't agree (at least for myself). If you want to "take the risk" of getting it, good luck....it would be way to scary for me to risk it, and I'm in my late 30s and very healthy by most standards.

You are right that life will not return to normal until about 3 years from now. The major first step is the vaccine. Then the rollout and distribution of it to the vast majority of people globally. The vaccine should be here relatively soon, although the first iteration may not be perfect. The large scale rollout will probably take another year. Then, there will likely be a more effective version. Then public health numbers will need to show that globally (and nationally), cases have drastically dropped. Slowly people will then feel comfortable doing things somewhat normally (although some things may be changed forever- probably there wil be overall less crowding and more capacity control).

Until there is a vaccine, there will be no concerts, no conferences, no bars/happy hours, no wineries, no sports like we knew it, no office parties, no large celebrations........there will be no normal for a long time.

I personally will feel comfortable slowly easing back into some normalcy when I have received a vaccine for it.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:19 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
My life hasn't changed all that much except that I wear a mask when I go out. I do miss going out to eat but I guess being an introvert has its advantages.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 AM

22,194 posts, read 19,233,374 times
i never stopped living my life. i go to work every day, the only difference now is i wear a mask and answer screening questions daily before being allowed to enter the building.

it is not healthy to stay in lockdown and a state of fear.
that in itself weakens a person's health and immune system.

a person takes reasonable precautions and lives their life.

the more a person focuses on fear and disease, the more likely they are to draw that experience to them.
the more a person focuses on health, well being, and building a strong immune system, the more they draw that reality to them.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
I am 34 and have no known risk factors, so I feel as this is complete self-sacrifice for the sake of the old, the infirm, and the unfortunate statistical anomalies (I of course could find myself in that last group--there is no way of knowing in advance)..
our chances of dying from Covid are under 1%.

So I dont understand why we cannot isolate those mentioned risk groups? How come we cannot even protect the nursing home people?? I am semi careful and I don't get infected - why is the nursing home staff so careless that so many old people get infected through them??? I dont understand that.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:54 AM

25 posts, read 8,135 times
Thumbs up  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel
......it is not healthy to stay in lockdown and a state of fear.
that in itself weakens a person's health and immune system.......
Indeed and I have been telling people this for awhile now but hardily anyone will listen.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology