Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 01:28 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I feel exactly the same way. I take a calculated risk when it comes to socializing in these Corona'ed times. The damage to mental health from living in a 2-year self-quarantine, and not seeing friends and family, is far greater than whatever this flu bug could do, provided that the person is otherwise healthy. My like-minded friends embrace the same mindset: socializing is as much a human need as eating, sleeping, and defecating. We meet that need by meeting in safe ways, like having a picnic in the park, although the 6-foot thing kind of goes out the window.

One thing I take strong precautions with is visiting elderly family members. I limit my visits to about an hour, spend time with them strictly in their backyard, and mask up when going inside to use the bathroom. (In the Midwest, that's sustainable thru October or November.) I want to make them happy by seeing them in person and bringing them food, but I also don't want to infect their home, in case I'm asymptomatic. Outside, I trust the wind to carry away whatever I might have.

Are you comfortable with patio dining? Perhaps that can be a middle ground for you. It's really no different than getting takeout and eating it as a picnic. Something I mentioned in another thread is that Corona singlehandedly created an al fresco dining culture, which the US never had before, unlike much of Europe. When the liberal governor presented outdoor dining as the only restaurant option, people universally embraced it, which is easy in Illinois summers. That's the only thing I hope continues into 2021. Sidewalk dining under the warm glow of the setting sun or the amber streetlights is truly amazing!
Good for you. You seem to be handling it responsibly.

We have only been doing alfresco dining for years, since that is the culture where we are. So we loved it when the outside seating came back. Sometimes drinks, sometimes food. So enjoyable. The breeze, the people-watching.

People are taking it seriously here. Most live with elderly relatives so everyone is careful. Masks outside walking on the sidewalks, even. Because you can't really distance there.

We're just now done with quarantine, and it doesn't look like we contracted it on the trans-Atlantic flight (24 hours in a mask, LOL) so thankful for that.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:32 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,931,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Good for you. You seem to be handling it responsibly.

We have only been doing alfresco dining for years, since that is the culture where we are. So we loved it when the outside seating came back. Sometimes drinks, sometimes food. So enjoyable. The breeze, the people-watching.

People are taking it seriously here. Most live with elderly relatives so everyone is careful. Masks outside walking on the sidewalks, even. Because you can't really distance there.

We're just now done with quarantine, and it doesn't look like we contracted it on the trans-Atlantic flight (24 hours in a mask, LOL) so thankful for that.
I have about 100 posts of this thread to catch up on, but at last check, which may have been 2 months ago at this point (regarding the views of the person I'm about to mention--I myself posted in this thread a couple weeks back if memory serves), MillennialUrbanist thought the entire thing was a hoax and was saying that to anyone who would listen on this site. He must've amended his ways somewhat

Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
... MillennialUrbanist thought the entire thing was a hoax and was saying that to anyone who would listen on this site. He must've amended his ways somewhat
Not really. I never said this was a hoax---this virus is as real as the pigeons on the streets. But "they" hijacked it for political gains, like by implementing fraudulent mail-in voting and parking empty refrigerated trucks next to hospitals. And I still think it's a glorified flu. So I'm living my life almost 2019-style, socializing with people who share my views. One precaution I take avoiding parties the day before visiting elderly relatives; after all, any kind of flu hurt them, including this one.

What I did say is that this flu had an unintended benefit "they" probably didn't plan on: it created a newfound outdoor dining culture in the US. That's the only part of "their" "new normal" I happily embraced. I see hordes of people dining on sidewalks, from chicken nuggets to filet mignon, looking so happy. I partook in it myself. Outdoor dining is easily sustainable in Chicago through the end of September, and in some years, through Halloween. Then the election will come and shut "them" up.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Not really. I never said this was a hoax---this virus is as real as the pigeons on the streets. But "they" hijacked it for political gains, like by implementing fraudulent mail-in voting and parking empty refrigerated trucks next to hospitals. And I still think it's a glorified flu. So I'm living my life almost 2019-style, socializing with people who share my views. One precaution I take avoiding parties the day before visiting elderly relatives; after all, any kind of flu hurt them, including this one.

What I did say is that this flu had an unintended benefit "they" probably didn't plan on: it created a newfound outdoor dining culture in the US. That's the only part of "their" "new normal" I happily embraced. I see hordes of people dining on sidewalks, from chicken nuggets to filet mignon, looking so happy. I partook in it myself. Outdoor dining is easily sustainable in Chicago through the end of September, and in some years, through Halloween. Then the election will come and shut "them" up.
There is no evidence at all that mail in voting is fraudulent. Do US military has been doing it for years with no problems. The president and his family do it. Colorado, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington and Utah moved to exclusively mail in ballot voting long before Covid and there have not been any accusations of fraud. He is simply setting the stage to contest the election results and to get his minions (you) not to accept any result outside of him winning. You guys swallow anything he says hook line and sinker.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:14 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is no evidence at all that mail in voting is fraudulent. Do US military has been doing it for years with no problems. The president and his family do it. Colorado, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington and Utah moved to exclusively mail in ballot voting long before Covid and there have not been any accusations of fraud. He is simply setting the stage to contest the election results and to get his minions (you) not to accept any result outside of him winning. You guys swallow anything he says hook line and sinker.
The military mail is secured in transit. The states you listed have a tried-and-true mail-in system. I'm pretty sure the newly implemented mail ballots will be tampered with, like padding votes with names off of headstones in old cemeteries. (The Chicago political machine actually did that.) And if it's safe to shop at Walmart, it's safe to vote in person. Him winning is our only hope of living normally before 2021.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:33 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I never noticed anyone’s spit traveling out of their mask when they talk, laugh, or sneeze. Besides, in most places, it’s almost impossible to socially distance. For example, in the grocery store, mall, beach, popular tourist designations, etc. I choose not to stress over it when people come near me.
I suggest that you search for videos of sneeze travel. I think it will be quite an awakening for you. Just because your naked eye doesn't capture it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Yelling, singing, laughing, everything spews droplets, even speaking.

It's not impossible to socially distance. Billions of people are doing it right now, successfully. That's why there are under 5 million total cases in the US (that we know about, probably 2-3 x as high), instead of 100 million, or 200 million just in the USA.

You choose not to stress over it?
I prefer not to stress over it too. I also prefer to keep people at a distance for my safety. As the saying goes "There are no atheists in foxholes" (although I'm non-religious) the saying has some merit here potentially to someone with your type of "choose not to stress over it" thinking.
I'd prefer to practice safety NOW, rather than be in the ICU (foxhole) begging for my life LATER.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:31 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,070,158 times
I think this is a good place to close the thread. It keeps veering off-topic with political discourse, which is more apropos for P&OC or Current Events, as well as other off-topic comments.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology