Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 02:27 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times

Advertisements

Yup, yet another intelligent enlightened person who decided to throw a big party in a state where the virus is clearly very real and then relate his tale as some sort of lesson. Idiot.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...-life-support/

Old 07-30-2020, 02:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,260,309 times
I never stopped living. Yes, certain things have been curtailed but I will never stop living my life behind closed doors.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I'm being careful but not paranoid during all this. I still get out, mainly going fishing at a couple lakes about 30 miles away. My wife stays in just to play it safe with all her medical problems. I do all our shopping but never go without a mask. Don't put it on till right before going in the store. Never really get that close to anybody in the parking lot.
My wife has a cousin who, if you googled "paranoia" it wouldn't surprise me to see her picture up there. The one time she has gone to the store since all this started, she had two cans of Lysol spray (don't know how she got them with all the paranoia shopping when this first started) but, even if she wasn't buying a product, she sprayed the shelf with Lysol even before reading something on the label! "They're coming to take her away! Hee hee, ho ho!"

Old 08-01-2020, 10:29 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times
I confess to not reading all 17 pages before my response. Catching up on 5 pages is doable, but when a thread is this long I don't read all before me. So forgive me for repeating what may have been said already.
I don't see how we can mingle in the ways we used to until there's a vaccine, or at least some treatments like a combination of steroids and remidisvor (I know I spelled that wrong) to lower the death rate and risk for the average person. I have a couple vulnerabilities, one being simply that my blood type is more susceptible to adverse reactions. Those of us who prefer to live therefore can't go back to "living" in the normal mingling sense of parties and dinners and movies out and shopping and restaurants and bars.....etc.
It's like a prison sometimes. It's maximum cabin fever. It's lonely, and I think that goes for just about anybody who is practicing social distancing. It's stifling, it's boring, it's monotonous, it's groundhog day all over again. And it is going to be this way for perhaps another year.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,878,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
It's like a prison sometimes. It's maximum cabin fever. It's lonely, and I think that goes for just about anybody who is practicing social distancing. It's stifling, it's boring, it's monotonous, it's groundhog day all over again. And it is going to be this way for perhaps another year.
Says you!

I've been living semi-normally since May, and almost completely normally since June. And I'm truly grateful I have like-minded friends who aren't afraid, and don't resign themselves to a 2-year house arrest. The ones who are I no longer talk to. (That said, no one shows up to hangouts if they have symptoms or were exposed.)

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-01-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,430,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
The ones who are I no longer talk to. (That said, no one shows up to hangouts if they have symptoms or were exposed.)

So you dropped your friends because they are concerned and practicing social distancing ?

Old 08-01-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
So you dropped your friends because they are concerned and practicing social distancing ?
They were more like good acquaintances through Meetup than close friends. So no skin off my nose. Besides, I have no patience for that kind of fear in people. Everyone's calculated risk level is different, and theirs doesn't match mine. If they're so afraid, let them social-distance with each other, and I'll social-socialize with like-minded friends.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:50 AM

995 posts, read 510,443 times
Quote:
They were more like good acquaintances through Meetup than close friends. So no skin off my nose. Besides, I have no patience for that kind of fear in people. Everyone's calculated risk level is different, and theirs doesn't match mine. If they're so afraid, let them social-distance with each other, and I'll social-socialize with like-minded friends.

This is the kind of attitude I'd like to see a whole lot more of.

I'm doing my part to live normally by going to my parent's beach share for a week for our usual family reunion. Won't be any social distancing there - just good old-fashioned social-socializing.

Old 08-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

This is the kind of attitude I'd like to see a whole lot more of.

I'm doing my part to live normally by going to my parent's beach share for a week for our usual family reunion. Won't be any social distancing there - just good old-fashioned social-socializing.
I agree with 90% of what you said. The only caveats would be: (1) Is there anyone elderly or immunocomprised at the reunion?, and (2) Do you have anything resembling Corona symptoms or were recently exposed? If yes to both, don't go. Otherwise, follow your conscience.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-01-2020 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 12:33 PM

995 posts, read 510,443 times
Quote:
I agree with 90% of what you said. The only caveats would be: (1) Is there anyone elderly or immunocomprised at the reunion?, and (2) Do you have anything resembling Corona symptoms? Answer those questions to yourself, and follow your conscience.
I don't have symptoms, I'd not go anywhere if I did.

However, my parents are in the "older' category, but this was their decision to do this, not mine. I think my folks see it like this - the pain of not doing this is greater than the small risk of contracting covid. If I wimped out now telling them that I couldn't "take the chance" - they'd be majorly disappointed.

My sister is a bit of a social butterfly - it's just a matter of trust that she's been keeping safe.

In the end, if the people in any social gathering trust each other, then it's okay to hang together. This applies with my next door neighbor, the in-laws, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology