Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 11:17 AM

217 posts, read 142,488 times

Advertisements

Some are, some aren't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 06:10 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think most people are "locked in" as die-hard meat eaters or non-meat eaters. I think there are a lot of people like me who eat meat but have been pleasantly surprised how good some of these products are, and are including them in a diet that also includes meat. I think they are selling them for a variety of people, and clearly it's not just vegetarians buying them because the sales of these products are too great to have only vegetarians buying them. I think there are a lot of people like me who just want healthier foods.
Kee-rect. I am no vegetarian, but as I age and my body increasingly betrays me, I find it necessary to get a little more creative, particularly as a diabetic. My stepson who lives with us is an excellent chef and keeps himself in excellent shape, and he's starting to realize his dietary habits are bit too ... for lack of a better term, dude-ish. And, sweetly, he's trying to help his mother lose weight. So we've all agreed to try some more plant-based dishes. He's currently studying a couple of vegetarian cookbooks, and he already makes a mostly fruit-based protein shake for us every morning.

Recently we discovered a prepared meal at the local grocer that has as a side item, brussels sprouts, which I despise. But it's seared in olive oil in such a way that I actually don't mind them once I get past the smell of them warming up. I figure if I can find a way to survive brussels sprouts, anything is possible!

Old 01-13-2022, 11:07 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Kee-rect. I am no vegetarian, but as I age and my body increasingly betrays me, I find it necessary to get a little more creative, particularly as a diabetic. My stepson who lives with us is an excellent chef and keeps himself in excellent shape, and he's starting to realize his dietary habits are bit too ... for lack of a better term, dude-ish. And, sweetly, he's trying to help his mother lose weight. So we've all agreed to try some more plant-based dishes. He's currently studying a couple of vegetarian cookbooks, and he already makes a mostly fruit-based protein shake for us every morning.

Recently we discovered a prepared meal at the local grocer that has as a side item, brussels sprouts, which I despise. But it's seared in olive oil in such a way that I actually don't mind them once I get past the smell of them warming up. I figure if I can find a way to survive brussels sprouts, anything is possible!
Have your son Google some recipes for eggplant meatballs. I made them for the first time last year and they are really yummy! I never liked eggplant much, I don't like eggplant parm for instance, but these to me are very similar to real meatballs. Just get lots of eggplants, because they shrink to nothing once you squeeze the water out (use a milk-nut bag, found on Amazon). It's pretty easy, peel and cube eggplant, cook the cubes, cool and squeeze out the water, then add the breadcrumbs, cheese, spices, etc., bake, and pop in tomato sauce.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:22 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I've found some really tasty vegan and vegetarian meals and dishes in the frozen food section even- high quality single ingredients, and not processed with tons of artificial chemicals. It pays off to be creative and mix in different fresh vegetables into various dinners as well. There are also far more varied protein sources to choose from compared to the past, especially with the absurd price of meat these days. I've become more vegetarian over time and eat 75% less meat. Yes, that is even with a family (relatives) background in ranching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology