Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 07:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
The assumptions are out-of-control!

Yes, the dosage I take is "accurately" measured. They are mass produced.

How weird that you would presume otherwise.

I am not "presenting" any case. I just shared my experience and noted that there are studies that have shown positive effects of depression microdosing magic mushrooms. Believe it or not. Accept or reject all of the evidence and studies or not.
That's fine, you're quite unhelpful, leaving me to make guesses and assumptions on my own.

I will say it may not be wise to assume that just because something is mass produced that the dosage is consistent but, oh well - enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 08:01 PM

1,250 posts, read 681,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
That's fine, you're quite unhelpful, leaving me to make guesses and assumptions on my own.

I will say it may not be wise to assume that just because something is mass produced that the dosage is consistent but, oh well - enjoy.
Have you thought of going to google or google scholar to get your answers?

Old 03-21-2022, 10:23 AM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
After a bad drug trip I spent a year trying to get out of a negative loop. All I wanted was for the depression to lift and let me be normal again. If I hadn't been married with kids I would have killed myself, but I couldn't do that to my family. Nothing worked. Pills and liquor were useless. Finally I said to myself I'm not going to fight it anymore. This is me and if have to spend the rest of my life as a zombie, so be it. I'm just going to fulfill my responsibilities to my family. I'm going to put one foot in front of the other and just go to work and exist.

A funny thing happened. When I stopped trying to get well, stopped giving my depression attention, over a few months it evaporated. I stopped trying and that's when it went away. To me acceptance solved everything. Like the serenity prayer says "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". I change what I can and accept what I can't. I couldn't do anything about my depression but once I stopped trying and I accepted it, it went away from lack of attention.

I realize not everyone is wired like me. I'm just saying what worked for me. Maybe it can work for someone else.
Certainly worth a try!

Old 03-21-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And again, I don't care if you say magic mushrooms, mushrooms, or 'shrooms...my point is that sounds like you're using some "natural" form that can't be accurately microdosed...at least not in the way a synthesized psilocybin can be. Yes, psilocybin is the "active" ingredient in mushrooms (not generic mushrooms) everyone knows that.

If you're not "one of those people" who shares links (is that a bad thing now?) then you're not sharing the knowledge you supposedly have...so I remain unconvinced. And I know you don't care...ostensibly...but you are here presenting your case. The actual "studies" are very, very few and far between. I can't put much credence in the supposed impact of a drug with sub-perceptual effects without a double-blinded no treatment placebo group. Even better if the participants have a diagnosis of depression and one of the treatment groups is some more traditional antidepressant for comparison as well. I'm sure you can understand that.
There is enough evidence that several states (California, Colorado, D.C., Mass, Michigan, Oregon and Washington) have either legalized it or decriminalized it. It is going to provide a breakthrough/revolution in mental health treatment one day, the sooner the better. Ironically there were studies done in the 50’s and even before that reached similar conclusions but then drugs became demonized and LSD became illegal and I think was even made Schedule 1 which effectively ended the ability to do more research. Decades lost.

In a decade or 2 it will be the go to treatment. Of course that won’t happen till the drug companies get control over it. All of them are trying to figure it ways to manufacture it so they can patent it.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...clinical-trial

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...on-study-shows

https://www.webmd.com/depression/new...n-relief-study

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-21-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-21-2022, 12:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 681,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There is enough evidence that several states (California, Colorado, D.C., Mass, Michigan, Oregon and Washington) have either legalized it or decriminalized it. It is going to provide a breakthrough/revolution in mental health treatment one day, the sooner the better. Ironically there were studies done in the 50’s and even before that reached similar conclusions but then drugs became demonized and LSD became illegal and I think was even made Schedule 1 which effectively ended the ability to do more research. Decades lost.

In a decade or 2 it will be the go to treatment. Of course that won’t happen till the drug companies get control over it. All of them are trying to figure it ways to manufacture it so they can patent it.

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/n...clinical-trial

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news...on-study-shows

https://www.webmd.com/depression/new...n-relief-study
Thanks for providing some links.

It will be interesting to see how magic mushrooms play out related to the drug companies.

You can find directions online, re: how to grow the mushrooms and how to prepare for consumption.

What they did to LSD is a crying shame.

Old 03-21-2022, 05:36 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,540,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutflyer View Post
Is this just a 'personality type' where one can expect to struggle throughout their entire life?

As long as I've been an adult, I have felt some sense of worthlessness and at least a level of depression. Currently, the sense of depression is stronger; other times it wanes a bit but it's still there.

I still go forward with being productive, managing my personal life...but this constant struggle seems neverending and it makes the future seem bleak. I am currently in therapy, but that has sort of "faded into the background" of things I do - not sure if I need something else to pull me out of this.

Any advice from people feelign the same way is greatly appreciated. I could use any insight.
I’m coming a little late here but I have a reading assignment to consider— “Running on Empty” by Jonice Webb. Dr. Webb’s book is concerned with the effect of childhood emotional neglect. She reiterates the point that childhood emotional neglect isn’t like child abuse— the word “neglect” includes an absence of intent to harm. She describes how loving, well-meaning parents can nonetheless damage their children, however inadvertently.

(For those of you who bristle at such words, I’ll just say “read the book.”)

I forget which chapter (3?) where she sets out the types of neglectful parenting styles and the the resulting symptoms in the child, all grown up. I recommend you read them and see which ones, if any, resonate with you and your life. If nothing, then accept my apologies for wasting your time…although perhaps someone else reading thread might find it relevant.

Whether relevant or not, I identify with those who, like me, have wondered wtf is wrong with me with no clue as to why, Webb offers plausible reasons.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2022, 06:41 PM

88,654 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I’m coming a little late here but I have a reading assignment to consider— “Running on Empty” by Jonice Webb. Dr. Webb’s book is concerned with the effect of childhood emotional neglect. She reiterates the point that childhood emotional neglect isn’t like child abuse— the word “neglect” includes an absence of intent to harm. She describes how loving, well-meaning parents can nonetheless damage their children, however inadvertently.

I forget which chapter (3?) where she sets out the types of neglectful parenting styles and the the resulting symptoms in the child, all grown up. I recommend you read them and see which ones, if any, resonate with you and your life. If nothing, then accept my apologies for wasting your time…although perhaps someone else reading thread might find it relevant.

Whether relevant or not, I identify with those who, like me, have wondered wtf is wrong with me with no clue as to why, Webb offers plausible reasons.

Good luck!
I would be interested in reading that. I ended up close with my mother in her later years, and I know she was a good person who herself didn't get the right kind of mothering because of her mother's focus being on a mentally retarded child with CP in the 1930s when there was no help. My mother said that when she was 30, she felt as if her life was over. She was married to a man whose mother held sway over him and who had what we now know was PTSD from the war, and she had four kids. She was depressed. I was her fourth kid and born when she was 30. I must have picked it up. I cried all the time when I was small to the point where I remember everyone making fun of me for being such a crybaby all the time. So I learned not to cry.

I know my Mom loved me, but I don't think she had much extra to give her latest baby at that time, and I have always been missing some sense of being safe and cared for because of it. She just wasn't equipped.

My youngest brother, No. 7, was born 11 years later, and he's much worse. He's not really functional. My mother cried and yelled because she was 40 and pregnant again and did not want another baby. At that point, my father was moving his mother in to live with us, and now she already had six kids. I remember that night at the dinner table, circa Christmas 1968, like it was yesterday when she blurted it all out. And on some level, my brother knew he was not wanted. She loved him, too, of course, but he knew. One time my partner asked what made my brother the way he is, and I said, "Birth".

So there is likely something to this.

Old 03-22-2022, 04:31 AM

41 posts, read 18,559 times
I once had a bad experience cutting my hair at the hairdresser's. They cut my hair too much. I was very nervous and worried. Every 3 days I made hair masks from eggs, sour cream, mayonnaise, onions, burdock oil, etc. to make my hair grow faster. One day my mother told me that masks wouldn't make my hair grow fast. It's all about internal reasons. Then I started buying up all kinds of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. And after six months, I noticed that I was no longer lazy, my mood was high and I slept like a baby every night. Now I think that apathy, bad moods, etc. are consequences of vitamin/mineral deficiencies.

Old 03-22-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post

Good luck!
I am very sure I would see myself and my mom in that book! Does she offer help, or just understanding "why"?

Old 03-22-2022, 11:10 AM

3,131 posts, read 1,025,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I am very sure I would see myself and my mom in that book! Does she offer help, or just understanding "why"?
There are a few tips too. Click on the "Articles" on her website. High on the page. There are a few categories when you click on "Articles" about different areas.

Here is one article, you might find it helpful. (sometimes the comments bellow the articles are also interesting)

https://drjonicewebb.com/the-faces-o...hs-to-healing/

P.S. I didn't know about her, she's pretty good from what I can read in her articles. Insightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology