Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 10:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So you're still depressed...despite swearing by antidepressants? Confused.
Yeah - like a diabetic on insulin - they are still diabetic...right?

I still have the condition even though I'm not currently suicidal.

But I don't think you're really just obtuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 10:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I always hear about this, but don't know how to acquire the medication.
Look online.

In areas where they are decriminalized, you can grow them yourself, I have read.

There is a storefront in Oakland, California that evidently sells them.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

The logic here is lacking.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:49 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutflyer View Post
Is this just a 'personality type' where one can expect to struggle throughout their entire life?

As long as I've been an adult, I have felt some sense of worthlessness and at least a level of depression. Currently, the sense of depression is stronger; other times it wanes a bit but it's still there.

I still go forward with being productive, managing my personal life...but this constant struggle seems neverending and it makes the future seem bleak. I am currently in therapy, but that has sort of "faded into the background" of things I do - not sure if I need something else to pull me out of this.

Any advice from people feelign the same way is greatly appreciated. I could use any insight.
NO!
That is my insight. I did feel defeated for many, many years until it finally got so bad that I sought out a doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist.
The psychiatrist interviewed me for 30 minutes, prescribed the proper medication and that was the end of that. He followed up 2 weeks later but did not see the need for therapy or further followup. His diagnoses was "clinical depression" which had nothing at all to do with my upbringing, which was horrendous.

He prescribed Effexor, which I took from '97 til '05, when I slowly weaned myself off it. Haven't had a depressive episode since.

My take on the whole depression thing is that you cannot fight it alone. Medication is usually necessary in order to clear your head so that you can put the things that have happened to you in proper perspective. Therapy is useless, IMO, without medication.
I was 52 when I finally sought help. I should have done it many years before then.

Old 03-17-2022, 12:18 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
So you're still depressed...despite swearing by antidepressants? Confused.
Oh, you have no idea. Which is awesome if you don't have to deal with it. I don't either but everyone around me. Socal is the pill state, everyone is depressed or anxious.

People who go to counseling aren't necessarily cured or curable or even better people. They are just aware that they need help.
People who are on depression medicine are usually still not happy individuals. From what I have seen, they are less suicidal, less crying, less anxiety attacks, less pessimistic - but still not "normal" and happy. Just "less miserable" than before and their feelings and thoughts are numbed down a bit. Some are in a constant state of brain fog from pills because if they aren't, they would not be able to get up in the mornings out of fear from life.

Pills don't make you believe the world is a great place. They just numb you down to not constantly freak out about how bad the world is.

Last edited by oh-eve; 03-17-2022 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-17-2022, 01:44 PM

928 posts, read 499,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Oh, you have no idea. Which is awesome if you don't have to deal with it. I don't either but everyone around me. Socal is the pill state, everyone is depressed or anxious.

People who go to counseling aren't necessarily cured or curable or even better people. They are just aware that they need help.
People who are on depression medicine are usually still not happy individuals. From what I have seen, they are less suicidal, less crying, less anxiety attacks, less pessimistic - but still not "normal" and happy. Just "less miserable" than before and their feelings and thoughts are numbed down a bit. Some are in a constant state of brain fog from pills because if they aren't, they would not be able to get up in the mornings out of fear from life.

Pills don't make you believe the world is a great place. They just numb you down to not constantly freak out about how bad the world is.
Well said, and my experience exactly with the depression meds. I'm off them and doing psilocybin instead.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

A diabetic on insulin has CONTROLLED diabetes. If you still feel depressed (as you said), then your medication is not controlling your depression. Logic is hard!

Old 03-17-2022, 02:07 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
A diabetic on insulin has CONTROLLED diabetes. If you still feel depressed (as you said), then your medication is not controlling your depression. Logic is hard!
It IS controlling the depression because they are less suicidal and are able to function enough to get out of bed and keep a job.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:13 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
It IS controlling the depression because they are less suicidal and are able to function enough to get out of bed and keep a job.
But still feeling depressed, according to her own post, so I would say it's partially controlled. With insulin-controlled diabetes, you're not always partially in a diabetic coma, so the analogy doesn't hold up.

Old 03-17-2022, 02:23 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:

I'm sure you mean well, and a great many people feel as you do but you are wrong, wrong, wrong.
Pills do not "numb you down", and those who believe they do, while in the majority, are poorly informed. Alcohol numbs you down. Users of the proper medication are not numb.

I was not "numb" when I took medication. What I was, was able to think clearly long enough (about 8 years) to get my feet under me, get enough sleep, make good decisions and actually form relationships with the people around me. Later, after years of thinking clearly, I was able to do without medication.

Your post is unhelpful in that the underlying message is, "pills are a temporary crutch used by weak people who cannot deal with the world".
You don't know a single thing about depression medication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology