Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 12:23 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I was using that term as an accepted shorthand to simplify a complex reality, that we don't fully understand. Modifying chemical reactions in the brain, such as slowing down serotonin reuptake, is definitely a valid way of treating depression. I hope you aren't questioning the use of medication to treat depression.
I completely agree with this....I'm not sure if we yet know exactly how ASPIRIN works to control fever...yet we have used it for well over a hundred years and know it is effective, just not EXACTLY why. Truth is, we don't know the mechanics behind a lot of medications but they have been shown to be effective based on various research guidelines. Anyone who wants can fight the FDA and big Pharma but it can't be said that all drugs are bogus, nor can it be said that all antidepressants are bogus.

I'm not a medical professional - if the common-man's explanation isn't strictly correct, fine. But I'll continue taking my anti-depressants (as will my other relatives) and be glad to not be suicidal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 01:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I was using that term as an accepted shorthand to simplify a complex reality, that we don't fully understand. Modifying chemical reactions in the brain, such as slowing down serotonin reuptake, is definitely a valid way of treating depression. I hope you aren't questioning the use of medication to treat depression.
Why are you hoping that? I don't know you and my opinion means nothing in the larger scheme of things. Take all the drugs you want.

SSRI's have been proved to have negative side effects, and long term use is an issue, as are Black Box warnings. They are not the end-all and be-all and there are many studies that show they don't work. But I have no argument with people who choose to take them, just like I have no argument with people who do other things I don't think are smart. It's not my business what people choose to put into their bodies.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:17 PM

928 posts, read 498,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Why are you hoping that? I don't know you and my opinion means nothing in the larger scheme of things. Take all the drugs you want.

SSRI's have been proved to have negative side effects, and long term use is an issue, as are Black Box warnings. They are not the end-all and be-all and there are many studies that show they don't work. But I have no argument with people who choose to take them, just like I have no argument with people who do other things I don't think are smart. It's not my business what people choose to put into their bodies.
Agree. I was on them for a while (SNRI) and got off. I still feel awful, but I felt awful while on them because my body adapted to them, hence zero effect. I don't like being dependent on medication anyway. Got off sleeping pills for the same reason (and concerns over longer term effects on memory). I do take anxiety meds as needed, but thats mostly for sleep. So I replaced one evil for another less evil pharma to help me sleep, which is imperative for my health. So it is what it is. Net net I'm taking way less than this time a year ago.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:02 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
No real advice, only I can really relate in a big way having been depressed since childhood (age 13 or 14). Started with being bullied and being a small kid, and was perpetuated by a poor narcissistic mother where nothing was ever good enough. Those things are hard to reverse. Just when I was doing better, (late 20's-early 30's were my best years by far) career issues and divorce plunged me to the point to where it's my new baseline. Permanent mild depression (which has a name, I just don't feel like looking it up). I wish I could give you hope, but I have none myself. For me, it's just too late. Depression will kill me at a relatively young age, and I welcome the end of my suffering, honestly.
They call it dysthymia.

It's sort of the depression version of being a functional alcoholic. You manage at life and some people are actually really successful. But you rarely have normal feelings of joy or even contentment that others feel naturally.

Old 03-16-2022, 04:41 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
There is such a thing as dysthymia, which is chronic low-grade depression. It's often the result of repeated episodes of major clinical depression (when you're left with sort of a permanent hangover from them, never really reaching your original set point of happiness again) or it may just be your personality. A major depressive episode on top of dysthymia is a "double depression," which involves a greater degree of hopelessness than either of them occurring separately. I'm not a fan of antidepressants - especially the SSRIs - either, so I just live with it as best I can.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:12 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutflyer View Post
Is this just a 'personality type' where one can expect to struggle throughout their entire life?

As long as I've been an adult, I have felt some sense of worthlessness and at least a level of depression. Currently, the sense of depression is stronger; other times it wanes a bit but it's still there.

I still go forward with being productive, managing my personal life...but this constant struggle seems neverending and it makes the future seem bleak. I am currently in therapy, but that has sort of "faded into the background" of things I do - not sure if I need something else to pull me out of this.

Any advice from people feelign the same way is greatly appreciated. I could use any insight.
I always recommend Dr Jordan Peterson's lectures on various topics. This one on depression....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_2zmX6Akc

Old 03-16-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Anyone who wants can fight the FDA and big Pharma but it can't be said that all drugs are bogus, nor can it be said that all antidepressants are bogus.

I'm not a medical professional - if the common-man's explanation isn't strictly correct, fine. But I'll continue taking my anti-depressants (as will my other relatives) and be glad to not be suicidal.
Well, it appears antidepressants DON'T work, or don't work all that well, given the number of people on them who remain depressed, the dawn of Ambilify and other drugs that are meant to make your antidepressant work better (if you need something to make them work better, they're not working), etc. But then I think we have a very unrealistic view of life these days in which we're supposed to be, and there is pressure to be, happy - ridiculously happy - all the time; if we're not, we have a disease requiring medication. At one time, survival was enough.

There's also a school of thought that our culture itself causes depression by failing to offer us what we as human beings need to remain NOT depressed. Books like this explore that theory:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Connecti.../dp/163286830X

Last edited by otterhere; 03-16-2022 at 05:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2022, 06:12 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Well, it appears antidepressants DON'T work, or don't work all that well, given the number of people on them who remain depressed, the dawn of Ambilify and other drugs that are meant to make your antidepressant work better (if you need something to make them work better, they're not working), etc. But then I think we have a very unrealistic view of life these days in which we're supposed to be, and there is pressure to be, happy - ridiculously happy - all the time; if we're not, we have a disease requiring medication. At one time, survival was enough.

There's also a school of thought that our culture itself causes depression by failing to offer us what we as human beings need to remain NOT depressed. Books like this explore that theory:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Connecti.../dp/163286830X
So some people on them remain depressed...so they don't work? Is that it? There are few medications that work equally well for all...that's why there are many variations for similar conditions...who woulda thunk it?

Believe me, I've NEVER been ridiculously happy....so I have no expectations for that...I don't really know what that means, to be honest. And antidepressants certainly don't make me ridiculously happy...but I'm doing a lot better (than I was 30 years ago) - working at a great job for 25 years...in a very long-term relationship...doing the things I want to do in life...thinking about how great early retirement will be in a few years! Better is good enough for me. I don't think I'd be ANY better NOT taking them.

BTW, I have several relatives who actually committed suicide...they weren't on any medication. My father was bipolar and had at least one suicide attempt until he found a good psychiatrist. Lots of people are still alive because they found medication that worked for them...kinda like how a lot of people are being treated for "medical" issues are still alive from medications they take on an ongoing basis.

Oh - there are a lot of medications for diabetics that make other diabetic meds "work better" - does that mean the original med doesn't work at all?

I don't think you have the medical knowledge to be making the statements you are. Here are the thoughts of a neuroscientist reviewing Hari's work and putting it in perspective. Note that Hari has no particular medical or psych training: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...st-connections

If the OP is currently in therapy and doesn't feel he's improving then he should ask his therapist about alternative treatments. And his therapist would be irresponsible to not mention antidepressants as ONE other such treatment. Of course a therapist can't prescribe, but neither should a therapist withhold information that might be helpful and worth pursuing. The OP can also check with his regular medical doctor.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:16 PM

You believe in them, and they're working for you...great!

Old 03-16-2022, 06:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
most folks complain anti depressants do not work.
an underactive thyroid gland can cause depression,so can bacterial infection.
I dont mean to scare y ou folks,but a baby soon after birth start getting bacterial as people kiss and hug that baby,handfeed,breastfeed,or baby himself pick up stuff t o eat.
There is also micro organism,fungus spores in the air which we breath into our lung,thats why taking antihistamine regularly is not a good idea as histamine killed these pesky germs and spores in our lungs.
not having healthy bowel movement is another cause,John Wayne died with tons of feces in the body,so did Elvis.
Do some exercise,and get some sunshine,serotonin makes you feel good.
Eat healthy,low self esteem,may be you should have a feast every night-fine wine,steak,cheese cake desert,what else?
stay away from people who make you depress,some folks are never happy,they are constant complainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology