Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 07:32 PM

37,654 posts, read 61,744,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They might not be necessarily unsolicited, though. There is a lot of pressure on these young women to prove that they're cool, they're down, they're not prudes, even if they are hesitant. They want to fit in.
I agree that peer pressure can be horrific.

That does not mean the boys have asked for this either.

I am more concerned about the long term effects of this behavior. If every boy in a highschool class has a copy of every girl's nude and/or masturbating videos, that must have an effect on the dating pool among young adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Why might young women do that? My guess is a lack of experience in meaningful relationships - what it might look like, feel like.
Their moral compass is the community of 20-something influencers.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:34 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,212,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Yup. Definitely very limited perspectives (and well-edited).

Old 04-27-2022, 07:35 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,555,389 times
Quote:
I agree that peer pressure can be horrific.

That does not mean the boys have asked for this either.

I am more concerned about the long term effects of this behavior. If every boy in a highschool class has a copy of every girl's nude and/or masturbating videos, that must have an effect on the dating pool among young adults.

I doubt EVERY boy in the school has a nude of EVERY girl in the school. If so, it must be a pretty small school.

I also have to question the wisdom in blaming influencers. Are these kids all orphans who never had parents to instill some kind of self-respect in them from the time they were small? Adolescents will rebel, but the ones who had parents or guardians who were decent role models won't do it that way. I think this is more testimony to bad or absentee parenting than any social media influence.

Last edited by Seija; 04-27-2022 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-27-2022, 07:45 PM

37,654 posts, read 61,744,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
I doubt EVERY boy in the school has a nude of EVERY girl in the school. If so, it must be a pretty small school.
His graduating class had 98 graduates. It is a small school. They even have a competition rifle marksmanship team. How is that for rural?

My son never dated in highschool, and yet he appeared to have nudies from all the girls there. I saw most of them. Granted it was less than 50.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:02 PM

48,709 posts, read 35,206,949 times
Quote:

No evidence of this being the case. Excessive hyperbole.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-27-2022, 08:03 PM

7,668 posts, read 4,212,550 times
Quote:

I also have to question the wisdom in blaming influencers. Are these kids all orphans who never had parents to instill some kind of self-respect in them from the time they were small? Adolescents will rebel, but the ones who had parents or guardians who were decent role models won't do it that way. I think this is more testimony to bad or absentee parenting than any social media influence.
Good points. If there is bad or absentee parenting, then there is a void that will get replaced, so it is not very effective to blame influencers.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:05 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,167,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
If you want to know why someone is dysfunctional and drawn to 'bad' or dysfunctional people, look to their homelife and upbringing - or lack of.
I have a decades long history of only dating the best of the worst & I have the best dad & my parents gave me most stable upbringing in the world.

Truly. As a teenager I only dated the guys with the longest hair, who had the best dope connections & won all the fights. Lol.

As an adult, several of the guys I've dated have made international news. Organized crime. 1% MC Presidents. Ultra-wealthy bad boys who campaigned for president of the US.

I've been doing a lot of introspection to figure this out as to why I've been like this. It certainly hasn't served me well. Wish I could find a happy medium.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 AM

4,039 posts, read 1,914,638 times
Many of you are overthinking this.

It is a big mistake to underestimate the human instinct to reproduce. If you think your "power of choice" or something can "override" your instincts - you are mainly wrong, but for an adolescent you are absolutely wrong.

A boy / girl attraction is as unchosen as the choice an infant has in suckling - none.

Bottom line - for whatever a million years of filtered down instincts have in mind - certain male behaviors click in female minds as "good to produce strong offspring." Not saying it's inevitable - but trying to overcome biology with logic or "feelings" or social media or peer pressure - not happening. You are in no better position now to make smart (mating) decisions as a teenager then you were in 1950, 1750 or 1750 BC. All the same.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:40 AM

102,392 posts, read 108,714,406 times
Quote:
See, this is why sweeping generalizations are not only inappropriate, but potentially destructive. They help create and perpetuate stereotypes, which results in vilifying a significant percentage of girls who have no interest in the controversial activity.

"Oh, that's just the way teens are these days" is a meme that becomes widespread, even though it's not true of many. If the wrong people accept this erroneous belief, it could actually place teen girls in danger. There already are too many creeps out there, pedophiles, hebephiles; this kind of talk encourages those tendencies.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:23 AM

20,489 posts, read 14,848,232 times
Quote:
His graduating class had 98 graduates. It is a small school. They even have a competition rifle marksmanship team. How is that for rural?

My son never dated in highschool, and yet he appeared to have nudies from all the girls there. I saw most of them. Granted it was less than 50.
Am I the only one who is uncomfortable with this statement?

Like I could understand happening to get an unintended glance at one or two, followed by hopefully a sit down talk with your son. I had conversations with my sons about underage nude photos and videos and the legal and ethical implications of them, and strongly urged them never to save any such content on any of their devices. But it would be hard to see nudes of 50+/- teen girls unless you were looking on purpose.

I mean, I guess one would have to give a crap about the fact that these girls likely had misplaced trust in the recipients of the images, but probably didn't consent for you to look at them. I know that once a person puts a photo out there, it's out there, but my own ethics would have held me to not deliberately violate their consent regardless. I mean, you're supposed to be the adult, the one with the sense to make decent decisions.

Though usually I guess American society exempts men from carrying any responsibility for that in a situation like this. "Nature" and all. Though I'd find that pretty insulting if I were a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology