Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 04:19 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,565,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
That does seem to cover it.

Obnoxiousness and boorishness don't equal narcissism.
Yeah.. that's basically my take also. It's possible the guy is a narcissist. But plenty of people drink too much, become inconsiderate and horny, etc. Just based on bad, drunken behavior I don't think a fair diagnosis of narcissism can be determined..

Old 08-02-2023, 07:38 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Yeah.. that's basically my take also. It's possible the guy is a narcissist. But plenty of people drink too much, become inconsiderate and horny, etc. Just based on bad, drunken behavior I don't think a fair diagnosis of narcissism can be determined..
Well, that was kind of my take as well. People throw the word narcissism around a lot. And like I said, I'm not too clear on the clinical definition, or if it applied to this guy. I guess I'm satisfied with "jerk" and other words City-Data wouldn't want me to use. lol

Old 08-02-2023, 07:43 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
Well, that was kind of my take as well. People throw the word narcissism around a lot. And like I said, I'm not too clear on the clinical definition, or if it applied to this guy. I guess I'm satisfied with "jerk" and other words City-Data wouldn't want me to use. lol
"Entitled" is pretty good, too. Ten bucks he went to a bar and complained about the golddiggers who took advantage of his generous nature

Old 08-02-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
"Entitled" is pretty good, too. Ten bucks he went to a bar and complained about the golddiggers who took advantage of his generous nature
Yeah...I'd say "entitled" is definitely one of the words to use. We didn't ask him for one single thing...AND we drove, but he had to throw in "I spent $400 on you all."

I'll relate a couple of other exchanges, that added to our aggravation with him.

(1) When our meal was winding down, John jovially says (rather loudly) "should I ask the waiter how much of a tip he deserves?" We were all like "NO! Tip him 20% or more, if you want, but don't say that to him!" (Our waiter was a young, smiley, polite young man, who was very efficient at his job.) Then John says "Oh, I was going to pay him more, whatever he said." We insisted that he NOT talk to our waiter like that, and John got argumentative with us insisting he would've paid the waiter more, over whatever the waiter said. We tried to make the point that asking our waiter, who did a fine job, what he thought he deserved was rude and degrading.

(2) Remember when I said I knew John's M.O. when it came to his music? Well, when we walked into the bar after the restaurant, there were only 2 other people in the bar. The bartender, and a guy...maybe the owner, maybe a bouncer...I don't know.

John asks the bartender if he can play HIS music in the bar. He barely got the words out when I shooshed him, and told him we were enjoying the juke box.

(3) When we're riding back to our place from the bar, John starts in on a tirade about gay people. He doesn't know that part of our friends group are 3 lesbian women who are some of the warmest, sweetest, kindliest people one could ever meet. Kelly and I cut him off, telling him we have good friends who are gay (jeez, who doesn't?) and they're coming out on Friday.

Then he slightly changes his tune, saying gays are fine, and he has a gay uncle, who he calls 'guncle', and his 'guncle' says gays should stop recruiting kids. That was the jist of it.

So many eye-rolling incidents.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:37 AM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times
I hope your husband isn't really friends with this guy.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:49 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
No, he's not a narcissist. He's just unfiltered male.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
I hope your husband isn't really friends with this guy.
This is a guy that we met, twice before. We like to go swimming in a particular lake, and John hangs out at this lake as well. So when us ladies decided to swim at this lake, guess who was there?

And that reminds me...

About 10 minutes after we arrived at the lake and were swimming, John says to me "No offense Sassy, but I kinda wish it was your husband here, instead of you. Your husband would be partying with me." "Sorry I'm not any fun John."

Old 08-02-2023, 08:55 AM

2,037 posts, read 992,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
No, he's not a narcissist. He's just unfiltered male.
That's a little gender bashing.
The guy is a pie hunter.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:34 AM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It would have been different if they'd gotten in and said, "Excuse, can we join you" or introduced themselves but this jumping in stuff can really take you by surprise and the next thing you know you're caught up in something you didn't want to do.

I don't think this counts when you're at a public hot tub at a hotel. If other people come to the hot tub when we're in one, and we don't like the vibe they bring, we get up and leave and go over to the pool or elsewhere. We don't own the hot tub.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:40 AM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post

She should not have gone. At all. It was dumb on her part. She SAID she only went with him because he kept pestering her about it. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not.

Oof, I must have misread that in your original post. I thought you had said he tried to take her for a ride and that's when y'all told him to leave.

One of the first things you are taught in a self-defense class is to NEVER leave the scene with someone. That's how you get raped, kidnapped, and/or killed.

Your friend is an idiot, and frankly, I would never take her anywhere again. I will not be held responsible for someone who has such a low level of boundaries for her own personal safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology