Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 07:40 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
My counterargument is that women can still be respected despite being sexually objectified since they are not the ones objectifying themselves, other people are, and surrendering to those peoples opinions of how they "should" represent themselves is a cop-out.
Bye the way that was pretty confusing....

I had a really funny experience recently regarding what is means to be a feminists.

There was this newish artist from California playing in my city. I got a free ticket to go so I decided to check it out. The bio on this artist talked about how she was really in to female empowerment and stuff. So I start to forum an idea in my head of what to expect.

Head to the concert. The headliner eventually is on. She is dressed like a stripper ... sounds like a complete airhead .... and is literally doing a strip tease on stage. I am not that sexually conservative ... but I was totally confused. To me there was nothing about female empowerment going on there. All I was seeing was a girl in her late teens to early 20s that was so desperate for attention she was willing to cross market herself as a stripper just to try to get a crowd. It was pretty sad.

I totally wanted to take her aside after the show and give her a talk to the effect of .... "You have a great voice, but your performance on stage had me lost. I was too distracted by all the stupid stuff you were staying between songs and your need to tease flash you crotch to appreciate your voice". You got to decide if you stripping or singing. Regardless... I could no longer watch this painful display of whatever she was trying to do and I left.

If I have not said this a million times at some point already on this forum.... I consider myself a feminist. What that means to each women is different. Each woman is different.

Feminist and feminine are not the same thing. Feminism is an ideology. What is considered feminine is subject to interpretation.

Either way people are going to like the type of people they are going to like so I am not sure why knocking feminists is going to make a single man happy.

Last edited by klmrocks; 03-08-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 08:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
I think a woman has a right to objectify herself and package it as a product and sell it. However, after doing so I think it's a bit hypocritical if she complains about being objectivized. Madonna and Lady GaGa do it, but I doubt they complain. Probably too busy spending their money!

I'm a man who considers himself a feminist in that I believe in the equality of both genders (all genders?) but I like feminine women. Being different may be good, but being discriminated against because of gender difference is bad.

I'll admit a strong gender prejudice in who I date!

Old 03-08-2017, 09:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
While I definitely agree that the social media circular firing squad gets ridiculous, the root of the criticism is that if you're someone who campaigns that women are more than their bodies and should not be sexually objectified, then maybe don't pose practically topless in a magazine.
Men do it all the time and all we hear is silence, or sometimes applause. Why is there a different standard for women?

Last edited by SomeGuyInFairfax; 03-08-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Old 03-08-2017, 09:34 PM

No confusion. If a woman wants to express herself as freely as men do, we should/must accept that. What is truly confusing is that feminism means different things to different people. Without a common definition there cannot be much agreement on any aspects of it.

The artist you discuss in your post is no worse than any talent-less man trying to make a name for himself by exaggerating some aspect of his persona. Indeed, before we mock female empowerment, we should reflect on male empowerment and the impact it has/had on the world -- particularly as it pertains to the degradation of women, which is why we have the feminism movement now. That should help put things into a more meaningful perspective.

I do understand that it is hard for many women, who want to be taken seriously, to deal with other women who seem hell-bent on perpetuating stereotypes. But at the end of the day, it does not matter how she expresses herself; she still deserves the same respect and consideration, as a woman, as any other. As for her bad talent, that is another matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Bye the way that was pretty confusing....

I had a really funny experience recently regarding what is means to be a feminists.

There was this newish artist from California playing in my city. I got a free ticket to go so I decided to check it out. The bio on this artist talked about how she was really in to female empowerment and stuff. So I start to forum an idea in my head of what to expect.

Head to the concert. The headliner eventually is on. She is dressed like a stripper ... sounds like a complete airhead .... and is literally doing a strip tease on stage. I am not that sexually conservative ... but I was totally confused. To me there was nothing about female empowerment going on there. All I was seeing was a girl in her late teens to early 20s that was so desperate for attention she was willing to cross market herself as a stripper just to try to get a crowd. It was pretty sad.

I totally wanted to take her aside after the show and give her a talk to the effect of .... "You have a great voice, but your performance on stage had me lost. I was too distracted by all the stupid stuff you were staying between songs and your need to tease flash you crotch to appreciate your voice". You got to decide if you stripping or singing. Regardless... I could no longer watch this painful display of whatever she was trying to do and I left.

If I have not said this a million times at some point already on this forum.... I consider myself a feminist. What that means to each women is different. Each woman is different.

Feminist and feminine are not the same thing. Feminism is an ideology. What is considered feminine is subject to interpretation.

Either way people are going to like the type of people they are going to like so I am not sure why knocking feminists is going to make a single man happy.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:42 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think a woman has a right to objectify herself and package it as a product and sell it. However, after doing so I think it's a bit hypocritical if she complains about being objectivized. Madonna and Lady GaGa do it, but I doubt they complain. Probably too busy spending their money!

I'm a man who considers himself a feminist in that I believe in the equality of both genders (all genders?) but I like feminine women. Being different may be good, but being discriminated against because of gender difference is bad.

I'll admit a strong gender prejudice in who I date!
What ones thinks is feminine can very.
It is not so clear cut.
For example I wear a lot of black or darker clothes. If I am wearing a black mini skirt..... does that mean I look less feminine then someone wearing a frump pink t-shirt?

Is a woman with a bob cut in a pink lace dress less feminine then s woman with long flowing hair in jeans and tank top?

How feminine is define can vary.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Default .......

Quote:
No confusion. If a woman wants to express herself as freely as men do, we should/must accept that. What is truly confusing is that feminism means different things to different people. Without a common definition there cannot be much agreement on any aspects of it.

The artist you discuss in your post is no worse than any talent-less man trying to make a name for himself by exaggerating some aspect of his persona. Indeed, before we mock female empowerment, we should reflect on male empowerment and the impact it has/had on the world -- particularly as it pertains to the degradation of women, which is why we have the feminism movement now. That should help put things into a more meaningful perspective.

I do understand that it is hard for many women, who want to be taken seriously, to deal with other women who seem hell-bent on perpetuating stereotypes. But at the end of the day, it does not matter how she expresses herself; she still deserves the same respect and consideration, as a woman, as any other. As for her bad talent, that is another matter.
LOL.... I should be the mean judge in talent contest !
I got the ticket for free for a reason lol. Regardless it was am empty performance. She needs to work on her stage presence. Also she was just trying hard.... did not seem authentic. Ex...... I dont know what I am doing...but look I am wearing tiny shorts ....lol. " Like she just discovered she had female body part lol. You had to be there to appreciate the awkwardness.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
LOL.... I should be the mean judge in talent contest !
I got the ticket for free for a reason lol. Regardless it was am empty performance. She needs to work on her stage presence. Also she was just trying hard.... did not seem authentic. Ex...... I dont know what I am doing...but look I am wearing tiny shorts ....lol. " Like she just discovered she had female body part lol. You had to be there to appreciate the awkwardness.
She's kind of like comedians who use a lot of profanity to cover up the fact that they really are not that funny.

Last edited by SomeGuyInFairfax; 03-08-2017 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-09-2017, 06:01 AM

Default .......

Quote:
She's kind of like comedians who use a lot of profanity to cover up the fact that they really are not that funny.
Exactly.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:11 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
What ones thinks is feminine can very.
It is not so clear cut.
For example I wear a lot of black or darker clothes. If I am wearing a black mini skirt..... does that mean I look less feminine then someone wearing a frump pink t-shirt?

Is a woman with a bob cut in a pink lace dress less feminine then s woman with long flowing hair in jeans and tank top?

How feminine is define can vary.
I sort of like the Goth look!

Old 03-09-2017, 01:30 PM

605 posts, read 670,298 times
I have been single for roughly over three years now with little dating in between. It's not like I could not get any women to go on dates with since I do get messages online occasionally but for the most it's a mix in that either I don't find any of those women who are attracted to me to be attractive or that we literally don't have anything in common as far as interests go, so to put in a bunch of what I consider to be wasted effort to either go on OkCupid/Tinder/etc or go to bars/clubs every single weekend with little results seems like a huge waste of time to me. Anyways if I was in a long term relationship I probably would not have been able to (due to time constrains or money concerns) to be able to either travel overseas, buy and renovate a house, or do other stuff that I want to do with what little spare time I have so I don't view it as a huge loss, especially given that I have no desire to get married and/or start a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology