Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times

Advertisements

Ohhhhh.....grrrrrrrr.....the agony of defeat!
No, not football.

At 5:30 tonight the tide was on its way back in. I was pitching my skitter walk lure across the canal, under the mangroves. Same technique as this morning. Get it as close to the foliage as possible, without getting snagged; let it rest for a few seconds, pop it and BAM!!!

This one was serious. A fat, 30 plus inch snook. And he acted like a tarpon, doing jumps and contorting his body in an attempt to escape. Right before I got him to the dock, he did another aerial move and sliced through my line. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

He paused, just below the surface, with my lure held sideways in his mouth like a dog with a toy. If I'd had a net, I'd have had a chance because he was still and tired from the fight. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless as he slowly slipped away.

Those hooks were brand new and will likely take some time to deteriorate away. But probably not as long as it will take me to get over the loss of this battle. If he'd spit the lure, it wouldn't have been so bad but him winning the fight and taking my weapon....that hurts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM

700 posts, read 1,818,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
No, not football.

At 5:30 tonight the tide was on its way back in. I was pitching my skitter walk lure across the canal, under the mangroves. Same technique as this morning. Get it as close to the foliage as possible, without getting snagged; let it rest for a few seconds, pop it and BAM!!!

This one was serious. A fat, 30 plus inch snook. And he acted like a tarpon, doing jumps and contorting his body in an attempt to escape. Right before I got him to the dock, he did another aerial move and sliced through my line. NOOOOOOOOOOO!

He paused, just below the surface, with my lure held sideways in his mouth like a dog with a toy. If I'd had a net, I'd have had a chance because he was still and tired from the fight. I'm sure the look on my face was priceless as he slowly slipped away.

Those hooks were brand new and will likely take some time to deteriorate away. But probably not as long as it will take me to get over the loss of this battle. If he'd spit the lure, it wouldn't have been so bad but him winning the fight and taking my weapon....that hurts.
If I catch em on their way back to the harbor, I'll be sure to get your lure back to you. Now only if I could figure how to get mine out of the trees across the canal.......

Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messing About View Post
No, not football.

. . . Its a good story!! ;-) A picture or two would help make it believable!!
I kinda new right away - it was a fish tail, when You didn't talk about fishing it out of the tree a half dozen times FIRST!!! You and I both know 1) you probably can't even cast it 20 yards across your canal, 2) there is now way you wouldn't have gotten caught in the tree (4-5 times), 3) you'll ever let me get away with giving you crap - Like this!!!! ;-))

Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 AM

2,118 posts, read 3,776,884 times
@big house
Yes Virginia (or in your case, Maryland) there is a Snook-a-Claus.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM

493 posts, read 1,386,556 times
Sounds like fun MA!! Love that topwater action!!

Old 10-22-2012, 02:59 PM

463 posts, read 866,857 times
OUCH

Here is the original Facebook Post by MCSO - Florida Keys:
I don’t have all the details because this is an FWC case but there was a boat accident at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Tom’s Harbor Cut Bridge at the 60.5 mm. From dispatch notes, and from information gathered from Sheriff’s deputies, a small vessel hit a bridge piling. A woman and a dog were thrown from the vessel. The woman was pulled from the water quickly, but the dog was not recovered right away.
FWC Lt. L. Riesz responded and was reportedly taken out to the scene on board a vessel from Hawks Cay Marina by marina employees Alberto Saez and Demetri Darville. They recovered the people from the boat, who only suffered minor injuries.
Sundance Watersports employees Jason Elliott and Kristin Mashshie went out to the accident scene on wave runners to search for the dog, which had not yet been found. They found the dog (a yellow lab) and brought it back to shore safely.
Three cheers to FWC, Hawks Cay Marina employees and the employees from Sundance Watersports!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 PM

535 posts, read 1,031,659 times
Hip Hip Hurray job well done

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,088,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcozad1 View Post
OUCH

Here is the original Facebook Post by MCSO - Florida Keys:
I don’t have all the details because this is an FWC case but there was a boat accident at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Tom’s Harbor Cut Bridge at the 60.5 mm. From dispatch notes, and from information gathered from Sheriff’s deputies, a small vessel hit a bridge piling. A woman and a dog were thrown from the vessel. The woman was pulled from the water quickly, but the dog was not recovered right away.
FWC Lt. L. Riesz responded and was reportedly taken out to the scene on board a vessel from Hawks Cay Marina by marina employees Alberto Saez and Demetri Darville. They recovered the people from the boat, who only suffered minor injuries.
Sundance Watersports employees Jason Elliott and Kristin Mashshie went out to the accident scene on wave runners to search for the dog, which had not yet been found. They found the dog (a yellow lab) and brought it back to shore safely.
Three cheers to FWC, Hawks Cay Marina employees and the employees from Sundance Watersports!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,026,086 times
Good advertisement for that boat maker, at least she's still floating .

Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM

3,179 posts, read 6,002,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big House View Post
Good Job on helping the recovery!!
The people on the boat should have known not to that fast near a bridge!! They must have been roaring through the area! They shouldn't have been pushing a wake near the bridge, crazy!!
Not all bridges are no wake zones. In fact, most are not, except the center "safe passageway" that is marked. All other areas, if not marked "slow, minimum wake", are open for zipping through. Not safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte