Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:09 PM

16 posts, read 20,614 times

Advertisements

I have been vacationing in Punta Gorda almost every year for the last 10 years. My fiancé and I love the area our goal is to eventually move there. After vacationing there in June, we decided to get serious. She is a nurse and has already acquired her Florida license since we left and has solid job leads. I've been a commercial construction superintendent in Washington D.C. For the last 17 years and am concerned about my ability to find a job. Probably a dumb question, but how bad is the construction industry in SW Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
It's bottomed out and on the way back up. I'm seeing some residential construction coming back.
Maintenance operations continue to thrive. Have you considered using your experience to score a maintenance account manager or production manager position?

Old 07-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've been looking for things I can do using my skills other than commercial construction.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM

260 posts, read 563,298 times
There is good news and bad news...the good news is your fiancé is in a great place to find a job, the bad news, is you aren't.

If your smarter than I am , you can Get your fiancé two jobs nursing, and take uP fishing, until the construction market returns.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM

2,118 posts, read 3,778,590 times
Have your fiance support you while you go to nursing school and have double the job security.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDaMenace View Post
There is good news and bad news...the good news is your fiancé is in a great place to find a job, the bad news, is you aren't.

If your smarter than I am , you can Get your fiancé two jobs nursing, and take uP fishing, until the construction market returns.
I liked that idea......she didn't

Old 07-17-2012, 05:34 AM

260 posts, read 563,298 times
Like I said...your a better man than I am, if you can work out that arrangement! :')

Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,552,117 times
Would you be looking to get a job working for a commercial contractor under their license or would you want to have your own license? Here is the Florida web site for getting a General or Residential Contractor License - DBPR Professions - Construction Industry Licensing Board - Apply

We moved here from NY. My boyfriend was a residential contractor in NY state and did not need a license. He had to take the courses and take the exams to become a Residentrial contractor here in Florida. In addition to the state license you have to register and pay a fee for each county that you want to work in. He works in Charlotte County and Sarasota County. He also has to register with the City of Punta Gorda, the City of North Port, etc. There are a lot of hoops to go through. My boyfriend has more than enough work to keep him busy year round. He actually turns down work that he cannot get to. He works in Punta Gorda more than anywhere else. He mostly does kitchen and bath remodels but does other hanyman type work as well. It takes awhile to get established.

He started working with Handyman Connection down here until he got his license. You may want to check with them. They called him to do estimates for jobs and then he did the work. He worked under their license. Charlotte Handyman Services - Handyman Connection | Sarasota, FL

Some of the temp agencies hire labor workers, maintenance workers, warehouse workers, assemblers, etc. You could check with them as a place to get started. Good luck.

I have seen new home construction, especially in the Punta Gorda area. But many of the builders have left the area or went bankrupt. There are not a lot of opportunities for employment in the construction/building industry. They will be building the new Cheney Brothers here in Punta Gorda. Maybe you can check with them. That will create construction for a long period of time. http://www.constructionjournal.com/p...e+Airport+Park

Last edited by TamRE; 07-17-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,091,177 times
VaDave,
The construction market is slowly coming back. It is still volatile here, and with the election and shaky financial markets I would be concerned about any significant job leads - if you want to live close to where you work. I owned and worked with a lot of large GCs in the VA / MD etc area (in fact I owned one). So I'm sure you use to the prospect of traveling for work. The commercial construction market here is NOTHING like it is up in NVa. The pay scale here is NOTHING like the compensation market up there, and the appreciation (value placed on employees) is NOT the same. That said, if you are a hard working, gotta get it done now kinda guy that will do the work himself (cuz others will let you down - hey it is laid back here and its always sunny so the fishing is always good!) then you can do ok. The residential market is turning - the commercial market is very week, but some things are still getting built.

You're wife will be the bread winner, and her finding work will be easier. If you are an entrepreneur and can run a business you can do ok. Come on Down - and buy me a beer - after you get your boat, of course. ;-)

Old 07-17-2012, 01:04 PM

That's good info TamRe, thank you. Big House, if I make it down there, I'll buy you a few.

The ball is rolling. My fiance had a phone interview with Charlotte Regional and I'm getting my house ready to put on the market (homes in my area are not staying on the market long). I think my best bet is going in buisness for myself doing service work for homeowners and small remodels. I get the feeling anybody that does good work and charges a reasonable price around Punta Gorda, will stay busy.

Thanks again for all the feedback
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte