Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:51 AM

434 posts, read 531,261 times

Advertisements

I would get clear storm panels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,275,892 times
Clear Storm panels do not open.. " Storm Windows" are not THAT kind of protection. They are Thermo, protection..In the case of jalousie windows? No storm windows I am aware of would work.. We had Jalousie Windows on our Cozumel Home and we have them here and I like them.. You can have your windows open on a rainy day and no rain comes in.. With our home being built Mid 80's , our windows are also Mill Run.. that means unpainted.. that, I didn't like. So I preped them , primed them, and sprayed them Bronze..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
I would get clear storm panels.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:42 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
We have the jalouse windows. Going to replace two in our bedrooms to crank-out casement windows. Still will get the air flow in the cooler months, but allow for exit in case of fire. Home Depot, Lowes has them, relatively inexpensive and easy to install if handy with tools.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:52 AM

I have had those on a home I owned and when its windy you have to be careful they dont get RIPPED RIGHT OFF...You do "have" to get a permit for window R&R. The Info is available for proper screw /tap-con size and spacing on the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
We have the jalouse windows. Going to replace two in our bedrooms to crank-out casement windows. Still will get the air flow in the cooler months, but allow for exit in case of fire. Home Depot, Lowes has them, relatively inexpensive and easy to install if handy with tools.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:43 PM

434 posts, read 531,261 times
I don't mean the bolt-on panels that you like store in the garage until a storm comes. And definitely not storm windows, like are used up north.

Maybe I used the wrong term. I meant specifically clear, roll up shutters (I think that's what they're correctly called). They're hidden up in the soffit/overhang, and roll down at the touch of a button. Not exactly rare on condos down in south Florida, though the clear is pricier and less common than perforated white ones.

Like my folks who now have a canal home 10 minutes by boat to the gulf, I'm imploring them to upgrade from opaque panels that sit in your garage, to the clear roll ups. They have a 2 story house. Seems like no-brainer territory for retirees with bad backs if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Clear Storm panels do not open.. " Storm Windows" are not THAT kind of protection. They are Thermo, protection..In the case of jalousie windows? No storm windows I am aware of would work.. We had Jalousie Windows on our Cozumel Home and we have them here and I like them.. You can have your windows open on a rainy day and no rain comes in.. With our home being built Mid 80's , our windows are also Mill Run.. that means unpainted.. that, I didn't like. So I preped them , primed them, and sprayed them Bronze..

Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 PM

Yes yes yes NOW I understand which ones your talking about.. $$$$$$ Yep Big Bucks..Very Nice but out of my comfort zone $$ .. I have Fiberglass panels light... strong... but you put them up by hand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
I don't mean the bolt-on panels that you like store in the garage until a storm comes. And definitely not storm windows, like are used up north.

Maybe I used the wrong term. I meant specifically clear, roll up shutters (I think that's what they're correctly called). They're hidden up in the soffit/overhang, and roll down at the touch of a button. Not exactly rare on condos down in south Florida, though the clear is pricier and less common than perforated white ones.

Like my folks who now have a canal home 10 minutes by boat to the gulf, I'm imploring them to upgrade from opaque panels that sit in your garage, to the clear roll ups. They have a 2 story house. Seems like no-brainer territory for retirees with bad backs if you ask me.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgregorsailor51 View Post
Yes yes yes NOW I understand which ones your talking about.. $$$$$$ Yep Big Bucks..Very Nice but out of my comfort zone $$ .. I have Fiberglass panels light... strong... but you put them up by hand...
Where did you get them and how do they attach?

Old 01-03-2015, 12:22 PM

NPG: They came with the house and they have spring clips that attach to the window frames. I just went out and checked and I see no manufacturers name
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Where did you get them and how do they attach?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 PM

747 posts, read 1,013,183 times
Is anyone familiar with shutters that can operate via smart phone?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Depending on what you want to now.. " A Smart House" If YOU Have The Cash , can be entirely run from your phone or PC everything from your HVAC temp to pool cleaning to total a lock down to atmospheric evacuation.. even things you never dreamed possible.. shutters are a simple proceedure..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJNE17 View Post
Is anyone familiar with shutters that can operate via smart phone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte