Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte
 [Register]
Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte Charlotte County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2018, 05:40 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,823,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRich View Post
Annnnnnd I just discovered, not a single one of my coax/cable jacks are terminated to the cables. In fact, the cables in the wall don't have connectors on them, shoddy QA at best.
Many times its just coiled in a box and connectors are put on when service is started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM

102 posts, read 104,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaRay35 View Post
Many times its just coiled in a box and connectors are put on when service is started.
This, it's better to have the internet company do it. Most of the time the fee they charge to come out includes that whether you need it or not anyway. The reason why is if your builder wires up the wall end one way but the devices the internet company use wired a different way it will not work. I'm not sure if it's as common anymore with Cat6 but my old house built about 10 years ago this happened with cat5. I think there is kind of a standardization now but it's better to have the internet company do it that way you know everything matches, otherwise if it doesn't they will have to cut off every connection and redo them anyway. This is what had to be done on my old house, the wall end didn't match up with the way the router was wired.

Pull off some of the wall plates, they should of left enough slack for the internet tech to do his thing and complete the job which he will be happy with knowing someone didn't botch up the wiring and all he has to do is grab a foot or so of wire out of the wall, cut it, throw on a RJ45 end instead of having to wire through walls of a 40 year old house or fixing someone else's messed up wiring.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:36 PM

38 posts, read 40,622 times
Sarge, I meant to say how much I liked the name you picked for your boat, I look forward to seeing you on the water! I'll either recognize the boat or the guy with the ear to ear grin, lol. Garage floor looks awesome too! I think we were quoted $3k for that and heard that one of the guys does it on the side for a grand. We will def look into doing that ourselves. Enjoy and thanks again for all the info, it's been a great ride!

Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 AM

207 posts, read 260,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverchic View Post
I think we were quoted $3k for that and heard that one of the guys does it on the side for a grand.
If you find that guy please let me know also. I have done the Rustoleum from HD on two large new floors. Both pull the paint with hot tires. I am looking for the industrial strength stuff. Thanx.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:12 AM

12 posts, read 11,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
If you find that guy please let me know also. I have done the Rustoleum from HD on two large new floors. Both pull the paint with hot tires. I am looking for the industrial strength stuff. Thanx.
Looking good, SgtRich! Did you acid etch the concrete before application? Wondering if that might help prevent hot tire pull up, but not sure if it's necessary with new concrete like yours. I'm interested in trying this out on our new construction as well.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:29 AM

306 posts, read 391,230 times
Default Diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk9gs View Post
Just make sure of two things when they come back for this:

1) Make sure that they use compression connectors, not the crimp on type. The compression style is a much better designed connector.

2) Make sure that they use a tool to tighten the connector on the back of the wall plate; finger-tight is not adequate.
Oh, very good to know, guess I'll do some googling, just planning to do myself as I'm done waiting on these guys. Hopefully Home Depot or similar sells these.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM

121 posts, read 148,519 times
Check on the coax cable jacket to see what type of cable the contractor ran. It's probably RG-6 but could be cheaper RJ-59. RG 59 and RG 6 can use copper or an aluminum braid - they will use different F connectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iShJrc56E

Old 08-03-2018, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 5,383 times
Wow ... what a thread ... from beginning to end almost the entire saga of building in South Gulf Cove. Great read for a newbie like myself.

I am currently looking for a real estate lawyer in Port Charlotte or Punta Gorda who can handle a real estate building lot closing (purchase) and contract review with the builder when the time comes. Up North where I live now we can hire flat rate attorneys for these traditional services. Anyone have any recommendations for Punta Gorda a lawyer.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:15 PM

102 posts, read 104,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNewbie2017 View Post
I have the industrial floor on the house here in Missouri and it's legit stuff. They where charging $5.25 a sq ft and I negotiated down to $5 if I paid in cash not that the price here helps down in FL. My garage is a little over 1000 sq ft so it's a decent size job. But they came in and grinned off about 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch of the garage floor to remove the sealant. The house is only a year old so not much stains and stuff on the concrete. But when the mixed the glue and the top coat they had masks on and everything.

Here is a small pic of it. It's pricey but worth it. They filled in the cuts made on the concrete and stuff too. You can tell it's some thick heavy duty stuff when you walk on it or get down close to it. I think the rustoleum any kind of diy stuff the floor prep is key, especially if you have an older floor. But for a couple hundred bucks vs a couple thousand you can always do it over again if you want to. When our house in SGC gets I'll probably try the Home Depot stuff and see how it goes since the floor will be brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
New home is coming along!-0803181600.jpg  

Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 AM

306 posts, read 391,230 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephp732 View Post
Check on the coax cable jacket to see what type of cable the contractor ran. It's probably RG-6 but could be cheaper RJ-59. RG 59 and RG 6 can use copper or an aluminum braid - they will use different F connectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6iShJrc56E
Thanks Joseph,

I just verified, it's RG6 and I used Klein RG6 connectors.

Yeah, the builder said that's normal, I still call B.S. personally.

It's coax, it can only take, a coax connector.

I have a 6 to 1 splitter installed in the wall now, 2 TVs get about 30 stations, 1 TV gets 3, the other TVs, get none, arrgh!

Not sure if it's the splitter, or my crimps, but I guess I'll remove the splitter from the wall, PITA, then connect each cable individually to the home run to see if that helps. Maybe it's a cable or crimp problem. Frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte