Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

Our guinea pig died this morning. I don't know what happened, she looked fine yesterday although maybe a little sluggish. I had given her some dandelion and some rice krispies and she didn't seem to eat them or her other food. I had to make sure she was dead because she wasn't stiff and looked just completely still. But she wasn't breathing.
We had her just two years and three months, adopting her from a rescue. She wasn't friendly at first, very quiet and shy. She also wasn't vocal. I don't think she ever purred for me but I did hear her purr sometimes when she got something to eat that she really liked. She loved carrots but never touched tomatoes. She eventually did begin to call me when she heard me go downstairs so that was good. And she did like to be petted. She was never as friendly as I would have liked, but having picked her up in a city shelter I thought maybe she had been roughly handled by kids. But she had a good life and I think she was content. And she got over her shyness and didn't hide when I was around.
It was hard naming her . We decided on " Mumbly Pig" because she was so quiet. But mostly she was just "the guinea pig."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
I'm sorry for your loss. You never know what kind of life she had before she came to live with you. Sounds like she had a much loved relaxing life with you.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:58 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
My sympathy also. I remember when our beloved guinea pig, Lucky, passed to the other side and I was devastated. We had her at the vet the day before and the vet explained the reason they use them in research was that illnesses progress so quickly. She was only 3 years old and I missed her so much because each day when I came home, she always greeted me even when no one else did. But, now, we have had "Sparky" for almost two years getting her as a baby. Many years passed between the two and they are very different in every way but still guinea pigs possess a special charm. I kind of believe that our pets hover at the Pearly Gates pacing around waiting for us to arrive.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
So sorry for your loss. She had a good life with you after who-knows-what before. Even if she had been cared for, being in a shelter is traumatizing for many animals. She is happy and healthy now, running the great fields of the sky. <<hugs>>

Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Thanks for your kind thoughts and condolences, folks. I'd like to get another, I just like the little creatures and they do make a fine low cost pet. But that leads me to some problems.
If I get one, I'd like to get a younger one and avoid getting one that may have issues with having been mistreated and being shy. I've adopted others that were very friendly so I don't think thats a problem usually. I bought an adult piggy at a pet store and he was shy, too. I just want one that squeals, whistles and is very sociable.
I could adopt one or two from local shelters but they seem to have pairs of siblings or mothers/daughters. I could take two, maybe that would be better for them to have company. But I kind of wanted a male this time around. I think females are generally more friendly and affectionate but males are more active and a little more fun to let run around. I don't wantto raise litters of them so a male/female pair is out. Then too, Ihave a particular breed and color that Ireally admire although finding one is kind of hard. I like agouti abyssinians in solid colors, either golden or grey. But temperment is mor e important than looks. I don't like white ones or ones with red eyes. I don't like rats so I am a little particular about that.
I could buy one at a pet store, theyneed good homes too. But they seem to want a ridiculous price, sometimes thirty dollars. I can donate $20 to a pet shelter and that money is more needed.
I guess I'll look around and see what happens.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:09 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Thanks for your kind thoughts and condolences, folks. I'd like to get another, I just like the little creatures and they do make a fine low cost pet. But that leads me to some problems.
If I get one, I'd like to get a younger one and avoid getting one that may have issues with having been mistreated and being shy. I've adopted others that were very friendly so I don't think thats a problem usually. I bought an adult piggy at a pet store and he was shy, too. I just want one that squeals, whistles and is very sociable.
I could adopt one or two from local shelters but they seem to have pairs of siblings or mothers/daughters. I could take two, maybe that would be better for them to have company. But I kind of wanted a male this time around. I think females are generally more friendly and affectionate but males are more active and a little more fun to let run around. I don't wantto raise litters of them so a male/female pair is out. Then too, Ihave a particular breed and color that Ireally admire although finding one is kind of hard. I like agouti abyssinians in solid colors, either golden or grey. But temperment is mor e important than looks. I don't like white ones or ones with red eyes. I don't like rats so I am a little particular about that.
I could buy one at a pet store, theyneed good homes too. But they seem to want a ridiculous price, sometimes thirty dollars. I can donate $20 to a pet shelter and that money is more needed.
I guess I'll look around and see what happens.
Cyber hugs on your loss, Icy Tea. Guinea pigs are such sweet little critters. Agouti abyssinians are so pretty with those whirls on their backs. I hope you find another one that will be affectionate, makes a lot of noise, and lives many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge