Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

450 posts, read 1,351,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
Actually no...your kids will go to the school in your zone. They will be grandfathered if they are currently attending...but if your zone is Panther Creek - your elementary, middle and high school will be in Panther Creek. The only guaranteed assignment is your High School. Every thing else with this plan will be lottery based.

Not exactly what we had in mind with community schools?
Right - the ops kids will go to middle school in the panther creek zone, not to their current middle school. And right too about no base assignments for elementary at least not at the moment.

And I agree with saucyaussie that it should take a few years, however I have the sense they're going to try to push it through asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM

91 posts, read 180,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY2CARY View Post
I can not figure these maps out! Can someone PLEASE tell me if my node is 398.4 what will be my base elementary, middle, & high school would be according to the new maps. I would really appreciate it!
You are in the West Apex Zone. That means (under the proposed plan) your base High School assignment is Apex. The middle school or the elementary school will in your zone on a lottery basis. Your kid could be assigned to any elementary or middle school in that zone.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:09 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,606,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
You can find "Base Attendance Maps with School Locations and Zones" here .
These are the 2010-11 maps. I think that the discussion is for beyond the 2010-11 year.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,666 times
Quote:
Now, open the document which lists schools for each zone.
Where is that?

My zone, for each...elem. middle, high, is in a colored zone with a school in the middle o it. Isn't that my base school? Would I have to apply to go there?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,418 times
Default School Board Rift

the whole plan may fall apart if Tedesco and Margiotta can't get Debora Goldman back on board to ensure they have a majority. According to the N&O front page today she is complaining that she is being cut out of the process and is threatening to vote against the student assignment plan.

So if the Vice Chairwoman of the Schools Board feels the process is secretive what chance is there for anyone else to understand what they are up to

A rift fractures the Wake school board's solid majority - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Where is that?

My zone, for each...elem. middle, high, is in a colored zone with a school in the middle o it. Isn't that my base school? Would I have to apply to go there?

I think you're looking at the maps for the current assigment plan/year. For the PROPOSED plan (to be implemented 2012, and partially implemented - whatever that means - in 2011) Here is the list of zones/regions by node http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/nodes-zones-regions.pdf (broken link)

So find your node. Deteremine your zone, then use this list to see your elementary and middle options within your zone: http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/schools-by-sample-current-hs-base-zone.pdf (broken link) As of right now, there is not a plan to include base assignments. Everyone will list their top choices from their zone in order of preference and then somehow be given an assignment. There is also talk of having choice within a larger region (N,S,W,E,Central) for middle and high school.

All of this is very subject to change. And they have a lot of explaining to do about how assignments will be made, how transportation will be provided, what costs will be involved, etc. They haven't even begun to look at costs. And there are some real discrepancies in capacity - zones with -1000+ capacity in middle or elementary levels, and others with what will be extra capacity. Not sure how they're going to address that either.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:40 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,666 times
So, as currently proposed, we get to, theoretically, pick a Elementary school from the list in our "zone". And I read that it is all by lottery? So, we have to apply to elementary? We live half a block from a elementary and half a block from a middle school. If they tell me I can't send my kids there cause I didn't make the lottery, I am not gonna be a happy Mom. I don't understand the goal here. And I agree with the concerns over price (but then, I knew the new majority had no idea what they were talking about when they talked about costs in the first place...promising everything to everybody, for less money...not gonna happen).

Old 10-05-2010, 03:45 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyVilla View Post
Actually no...your kids will go to the school in your zone. They will be grandfathered if they are currently attending...but if your zone is Panther Creek - your elementary, middle and high school will be in Panther Creek. The only guaranteed assignment is your High School. Every thing else with this plan will be lottery based.

Not exactly what we had in mind with community schools?
No, not true. They never did go in our zone--they have been assigned to E. Cary Middle since the school opened and parents at hte school have been lobbying the school board for ages to get them to move us someplace closer. Margiotta promised he would. They didn't. So, no, we are NOT going to middle school any where near us.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Yeah, currently we will pick elementary and there will be a lottery; proximity is one of their key criteria though, so being so close to the schools, I'd assume you'd get those if you want them; but there are no guarantees. They're giving such details on the map, but not really explaining the whole plan and how it's going to work. I'm torn between thinking they have no clue and thinking they know EXACTLY what they're going to do, but giving it to us in little pieces.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:48 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
It's not really that difficult. . . . .

How they decide who gets a particular school when one of them fills up. . . I don't know.

We have no less than FOUR middle school buses going up and down our neighborhood daily (E. Cary, W. Cary, Magnet, Reedy Creek). It's INSANE. YOu'd think a TON of the budget woes could be eliminated with better planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary