Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
On the contrary, I think it would help subdue the diversity issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
how so?
Presumably because attendance, and diversity, would be measured solely within the boundaries of a single community-based district, without regard to what surrounding districts might look like. (Thus, you could have districts that were all Black, all White, all poor, all rich, etc.) The U.S. Supreme Court decided a case involving cross-district busing back in the 70s and ruled in that case that it was an inappropriate remedy for segregation.

Milliken v. Bradley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[P.S. I'm not agreeing that this plan "subdues" the diversity issue - just pointing out one way it might do so by effectively turning de facto segregation into (arguably) legally protected de jure segregation.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 07:46 AM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yeah. . . back in 2000 they should have said:

"Sorry. Nobody else is allowed to move to Wake county. Our school system can't handle it."
Ahhhh, now you're on to something.

I'm waiting for the day the media actually publishes another viewpoint -- Wake County Schools in Dire Condition Due to Poor Planning by Local Leaders.

For years locals have been touting the Wake County as utopia. If you think Forbes, CNN, Money, etc. stumbled upon this Land of Oz on their own then you probably still believe in the Tooth Fairy. Tax incentives were offered to corporate America, farm land was sold for development, and they advertised a lower cost of living through lower property taxes.

Impact fees and transfer taxes weren't assessed on builders and developers to supplement the tax base for fear they would just pass them directly along to the transplants thus making the deal less attractive.

So the transplants came, and came, and came, and they're still coming. Cha-Ching! A lot of local folks profited nicely both financially and politically.

Uh-oh, who would've thought they'd bring their kids. We don't have enough room in the schools! Aw heck, let's just throw them in trailers, make them go year-round, and bus them half-way across the county when all else fails.

Last edited by byebyenortheast; 10-06-2010 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-06-2010, 07:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
What continues to amaze me is the nasty name calling and lack of professionalism. Blasting Goldman for going in front of the press and calling her a prom queen? Really.
I too am amazed. I work in a field where people are constantly at odds and there is lots of money on the line. Even when we disagree we don't devolve into name calling or the lack of professionalism some on the school board regularly display.

I know it is a stressful job, but adults calling each other names and taking verbal potshots at oneanother for the cameras is very embarrassing.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I too am amazed. I work in a field where people are constantly at odds and there is lots of money on the line. Even when we disagree we don't devolve into name calling or the lack of professionalism some on the school board regularly display.
Politics is a whole different beast, especially when the media is attending

Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM

351 posts, read 770,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Most of the south uses county wide systems. No, it's not the way you did it "up north" but the thought of community schools, each having its own school board, just about sends me into an irreversible tizzy. 10 John Tedescos running about? I don't THINK so!
Agreed. But, let's face it. With all the growth in the county we need more stability in student assignments. The schools are also suffering from deep budget cuts.

Compare the test scores to surrounding districts that use community-based assignments and you see that the diversity policy is not as successful as perceived.

Now you have a board that is trying to make changes to provide more stability, reduce busing to keep more money in the classroom, and improve test scores.

In the rest of the south you don't have a certain faction of people doing nothing more than making a mockery of their school system. You have a group who were dead-set against this board from the moment the elections were over. Closed-minded; didn't even want to give them a chance.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 AM

49 posts, read 146,895 times
I’m thrilled that JT’s zone model was scrapped but disgusted by turn of events that brought us here. I don’t know what to think of Goldman except I’m glad she seems to think for herself. Right or wrong, she doesn’t just fall in line like a lemming and allow JT & RM (John Tedesco & Ron Margiotta) push through anything they want. What bothers me is before she put the brakes on the zone model, she lobbied to be on the assignment committee. She even said if she wasn’t going to be on the committee, then the whole board should be doing the assignments and not a committee. I guess the other board members that weren’t on the committee don’t matter. If the majority members had threw her a bone and added her to the committee, would she have had any more concerns? I live in Kevin Hill’s district. If Goldman was added to the assignment committee, she could have drew the lines just like her constituents wanted them around Cary making her and her voters happy. The minority 4 members including Hill would have been shut out of the process. Parents such as myself could raise concerns with Hill but he would not have been part of the majority voting block. If JT wouldn’t listen to Goldman, you think he would have ever listed to the complaints of Hill and the other 3 minority votes (Sutton, Morrison, McLaurin) who didn’t have enough votes to stop anything?

She complained about some of the majority members having secret meetings when she herself has participated in them previously with the other 4. Maybe being ignored by JT and RM gave her a dose of what life was like for the other four members. I’m tickled to death that the zone plan is gone, as my neighborhood was going to lose its base elementary schools (which we love) to a different zone and require us to go to schools further away. I thought community schools was supposed to make that better? Many coworkers I’ve talked to where in the same predicament. Kudos to Goldman, but the truth of the matter is the only reason this happened is largely due to JT’s ego. If JT was a little more politically savvy and threw a bone to his fellow voting block member (Goldman), we would all be stuck with his plan. That is what bothers me the most because we are still stuck with these same 9 board members who have shown no signs of being able to put partisanship aside and do what’s best for all the schools. It’s a sad day when your school board functions like reality tv (Survivor).

Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
This is all so remarkable and folks need to really sit down and analyze their thoughts. Don't community based schools come from community based government and taxation? How many incorporated cities are there in wake that have a chance of standing alone? You would then need to get into joint school districts with shared revenues going to pay for. Sorta like a Morrisville United School district. How about vocational and special schools? Joint ones or each community having one? Also reconciling state funding of salaries, transportation etc would be impacted how? Hmmm who get the existing school buses and who get to raise taxes and buy new ones? Who would decide?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM

economy of scale: Definition from Answers.com
n., pl., economies of scale.
The decrease in unit cost of a product or service resulting from large-scale operations, as in mass production.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenortheast View Post
I think we're waaaaay overdue to abandon the county school system and split into community-run schools
And the government system that would operate and fund them is? If folks are having this much trouble zoning for school districts how would they do a better job setting up self sustained local governments?

Old 10-06-2010, 01:03 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
And the government system that would operate and fund them is? If folks are having this much trouble zoning for school districts how would they do a better job setting up self sustained local governments?
Could you imagine the Morrisville school district? Their schools would be too small for the number of children using them, and the school bells would all ring at different times throughout the school. . . . . . . .get it? . . . . . their schools would be like their roads and stop lights? . . . . . oh forget it. . . I'll go back to writing code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary