Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
I really think that your node is only assigned to one zone - and you can find which one by looking up your node number here: http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/nodes-zones-regions.pdf (broken link)

Then look at this list to see the school choices in your zone: http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/schools-by-sample-current-hs-base-zone.pdf (broken link)

Granted, it looks like there's not a year round middle option in Panther Creek zone right now, so I'm not sure what that means.

I still think there will be lots of changes in order to provide calendar options and make the capacities work - at least I hope so. I'm actually very happy with my current zone, but not confident that it will "stick."

I'm curious as to what maps you're looking at that show different elementary vs middle vs high zones in the new plan. Our current base schools are in 3 different zones (one elem, one middle and one high), but my understanding of the new system is that we'll be in one zone (meaning our middle and high will change).
Thanks. Here's what I found on those sites (I'd seesn them before):
NODE Region Zone
380.1 WEST GREEN HOPE / PANTHER CREEK

That's my zone--Green Hope/Panther Creek. To determine where they are proposing my kids go to school, I went to the adjusted assignment zones: WCPSS: Student Assignment Committee Adjusts Sample Assignment Zones and clicked onto each map in the line that says: Base Attendance Maps with School Locations and Zones (PDF): Elementary | Middle | High

If you look at that, my node is clearly part of Carpenter ES and Panther Creek HS in the Green Hope/Panther Creek zone, but E. Cary Middle is the assigned middle school, which is in the Cary zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Ok so just heard that they scrapped the zones altogether at tonights meeting, so this whole thread is already obsolete. Looks like we're in for a ride. . . And a whole bunch of stressed out parents.
You are KIDDING me!?!??! Thanks for the info, and you sure are right about the stressed out parents!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

91 posts, read 180,959 times
Quote:
Ok so just heard that they scrapped the zones altogether at tonights meeting, so this whole thread is already obsolete. Looks like we're in for a ride. . . And a whole bunch of stressed out parents.
I think a lot of stress just went away. A collective exhale. I agree with the OP - Lets find out the complaints of the 5% and see what we can do to resolve those. Ms Goldman is a leader!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

306 posts, read 883,449 times
Quote:
are you serious?!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:34 PM

450 posts, read 1,351,048 times
I agree it's good Goldman stepped up and slowed down the process. Reading my earlier posts they probably didn't come across with the tone intended - I wasn't thrilled either. I'd just rather not know what they're doing until they have a definite framework in place and then (wishful thinking) have public input on specific boundaries etc. I think it's going to be a bumpy roller coaster ride for awhile.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:46 PM

All over Wake County, parents are googling "Wake County Private Schools." LOL.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:50 PM

91 posts, read 180,959 times
Quote:
I agree it's good Goldman stepped up and slowed down the process. Reading my earlier posts they probably didn't come across with the tone intended - I wasn't thrilled either. I'd just rather not know what they're doing until they have a definite framework in place and then (wishful thinking) have public input on specific boundaries etc. I think it's going to be a bumpy roller coaster ride for awhile.
In all honesty this whole mess has no one knowing which way is up or down. And that includes a couple of board members. Once the tension calms down they can work together.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:35 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Goldman: Dump the assignment plan, start over - Local - NewsObserver.com

What a soap opera!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,444 times
Although I disagree with Goldman's thought that she should be part of the subcommittee (as i said earlier, that is not the way committee's work) I agree with her point that with something this controversial, they should be bringing more parts out for a vote, so that it won't be a situation of bringing to whole thing to the full table for a vote at the very end, and THEN saying...."oh, you have to approve it now, we don't have time to go back and work on it again". As noted by the issues raised in this thread, there were major concerns with this plan. She was right to slow it down. I was also amazed by the claims of side meetings of the majority (Goldmans says they came to her house, Tedesco denies it....probably because it was in violation of the open meetings law).

What continues to amaze me is the nasty name calling and lack of professionalism. Blasting Goldman for going in front of the press and calling her a prom queen? Really. Sounded like she tried to work it out with them and they brushed her off, so she had no choice but to go public to get them to listen.

I also continue to worry that Tedesco and Margiotta's real goal is making the Wake County School system worse, so that private school (vouchers) is our only option. When they are financial backed by a funder who has had that goal for years and runs private schools, not to mention Margiotta is on the Board of the private school too.....just so fishy.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 AM

351 posts, read 770,451 times
I think we're waaaaay overdue to abandon the county school system and split into community-run schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary