Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:40 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,466,371 times

Advertisements

So now there are two states (that I know of ) that do this. Do you know why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
The lawmakers think people are idiots who can't fill their own gas tank? The lawmakers have nothing else to do except pass theses goofy laws? I have no idea! I think it's idiotic!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,466,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The lawmakers think people are idiots who can't fill their own gas tank? The lawmakers have nothing else to do except pass theses goofy laws? I have no idea! I think it's idiotic!

Me, too!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM

201 posts, read 611,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that still have this law. In regards to NJ, self service was proposed by the Gov. whereupon his office was inundated with mail from angry citizens. The people of NJ like it the way it is. The proposal was withdrawn.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Oregon and New Jersey are the only states that still have this law. In regards to NJ, self service was proposed by the Gov. whereupon his office was inundated with mail from angry citizens. The people of NJ like it the way it is. The proposal was withdrawn.
You can have someone pump your gas at some gas stations in NY. You pay out the nose for it. I'd much rather do it myself than the creepy guy who looks homeless, toothless, smells like he hasn't showered in a month, behaves like a pervert, picking his nose, and props open the nozzle so it can't stop. No offense to anyone who looks homeless, toothless, and doesn't shower, but I don't want you touching my car. I wouldn't even let my husband drive it until a few weeks ago and I've had it since July '05. Most expensive thing I'll ever own next to my house. It's a very limited edition car and my baby.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
To bad laws don't keep idiots from doing stupid things. Just more worthless laws brought to you by our gov't.

If they really wanna give them a ticket just use negligent or reckless driving. It's exactly what those are for. Do we really need a special law for every situation? I think it's a just another law that makes it easier to hand out tickets and get more revenue.
Laws don't keep all idiots from doing stupid things but they do keep some of them from mindless behaviour. One has to notice in many postings that many think it just common sense to move over, it is, but apparently the preponderance of "nimrods" (liked that word alot,just had to borrow it from previous poster)make passing this kind of legislation necessary. Raising revenue? That's pretty cynical, this is about saving the lives of those willing to risk theirs for us.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieM View Post
Laws don't keep all idiots from doing stupid things but they do keep some of them from mindless behaviour. One has to notice in many postings that many think it just common sense to move over, it is, but apparently the preponderance of "nimrods" (liked that word alot,just had to borrow it from previous poster)make passing this kind of legislation necessary. Raising revenue? That's pretty cynical, this is about saving the lives of those willing to risk theirs for us.
So you are theorizing that a little know law will keep the lowest common denominator of society from doing something stupid. I already move over for the police every time. If there is traffic in the other lane I will cut em off.

Just another stupid law from the legislature (mostly lawyers) just trying to keep themselves employed making more laws. And the police get to make a little money in the process.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
So you are theorizing that a little know law will keep the lowest common denominator of society from doing something stupid. I already move over for the police every time. If there is traffic in the other lane I will cut em off.

Just another stupid law from the legislature (mostly lawyers) just trying to keep themselves employed making more laws. And the police get to make a little money in the process.
That's reassuring to know you already move over,not so reassuring you cut people off to do it. It's not the intent of the law to reduce risk to some while creating risk for others. And how is the law little known if it's in your NC Drivers Manual?
Making laws is a legislatures function, what would you like them to do? And they don't keep their jobs based on the number of laws they pass it's not piece work.
Not clear on what you mean in last sentence, are you suggesting the Police Officer is getting a cut from any fine imposed?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 PM

5 posts, read 19,029 times
I just got hit with a $250 Ticket AND $121 in "Court Fees." I SERIOUSLY had NEVER heard of this law and on top of that, it would have been difficult to change lanes since I was submerged in flowing traffic. This was a SPEEDING End of Month Quota because AS I was pulled over, his colleagues PARKED behind him and pulled over 3 PEOPLE who passed ME while PULLED over. I am FREAKING OUT because my driving record is pretty much spotless. I have no idea what to do guys. I can't stop crying. I feel like this is REALLY unfair to me since I honestly had no idea this was a law. THIS IS A VERY EXORBITANT TICKET!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 10:32 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
I had a friend from Illinois who got one of these tickets while visiting us. She stayed in the right lane because that's the law in Illinois...you stay in the right-most lane except when you're passing someone. The cop didn't care that she had never heard of this law because she was from out of state, and gave her a ticket anyway. Of course she's forced to pay the ticket because she can't stay a week to contest it in court.

Just another reason why I don't like cops....
AS soon as you enter NC on any major hwy , the move over law is posted.

this is relatively new law, probably less than 5 yrs old, I can't recall off hand. the older you get the more the years run together. The reason for it was that the #1 way troopers were getting killed was being hit by other cars during traffic stops. Though I often criticize VA drivers for slowing down to a crawl to gape and stare at every roadside distraction, the NC tendency is to sped up or maintain spped if they see someone pulled over. The mentality is, if he has someone pulled, he can't pull me. In fact, a common trooper trick in NC is to sit on the shoulder w/ lights flashing so someone will speed past thinking he already has somebody pulled. I rarely saw this trick used in VA, due to their natural tendency to rubber neck.

If you can't change lanes you are supposed to slow down.

Last edited by macjr82; 05-28-2009 at 10:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary