Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina the appropriate following distance is 2 seconds between care on a regular road and 4 seconds on a highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by breniee View Post
My boyfriend and I were travelling on I-77 in Iredell County last Wed. We were on our way to the Hillsville VA flea market show.

He was driving our box truck, and I was behind him in our pickup. We came up on a broke down wrecker and tow truck. A state trooper was there with his lights on.

My boyfriend was not able to move over at the time he first saw them. He slowed down considerably since we are aware of the move over law.

When he slowed down suddenly it brought me up closer to him.

I couldnt see anything for the box truck in my way....the only time I can see anything on the side of the road is when we are going into a curve.

As soon as I saw them, I saw I couldnt get over as there was traffic in the left lane.

The officer pulled us both a mile or so down the road. I had no clue as to why we were being pulled.

I understand the law and we travel all the time as we do foreclosure cleanouts in lots of states and we always move over if possible.

We did slow down! The law says move over OR reduce speed. Which is what we did.

The worst part of this, is that when the trooper got out of the car and went to my boyfriends window...he began SCREAMING at my boyfriend. I mean SCREAMING! His hands were flying in all different directions, and his face was red.

He came back to me and althought he didnt scream at me, he was rude. I tried to explain that we couldnt get over, but we reduced our speed. He wouldnt hear anything I said, and just told me he had no tolerance.

He gave my boyfriend the ticket ($171.00) and gave me a warning for following too close.

He said there had been seven deaths on that road caused by people not moving over.

I understand where he was coming from, but we could NOT move over.....he said we could!

I just dont think he should have gotten out of that car screaming the way he did.

I saw 4 cars pass us and could have moved over as there was no one in the left lane as the went by.

When he was giving my boyfriend his ticket one flew right by him and did not attempt to get over. My boyfriend brought it to his attention, and the trooper said, "I know, I cant get em all"

Not sure what he will do, maybe try a PJC as he has only one ticket for a light being out.......any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 14,605 times
Then you were following too close and deserved the ticket....

Dear, I did not get a ticket! I got a warning.....I was NOT following too close. FYI if you have ever been even 2 or 3 car lengths behind a big truck you STILL cannot see around them!

If you were so close you could not see the side of the road how are you so sure that your boyfriend could not move over...

I was not following that close! I was aware of the traffic around me at all times. He said he couldnt get over when he saw them. As I stated before we are on the road most of the time for our job and he knows the law, if he could have gotten over, he would have.

I am a very compassionate person, and I know how it is to lose someone in an accident, I lost my 19 year old son in a motorcycle wreck a few years ago. So there is no need to 'preach' to me about loss.

My point was, we would have gotten over if we could have, and the main point was the officer SCREAMING!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 PM

NYCinNC

As a matter of fact it WAS on the 27th! Makes you wonder doesnt it???

Old 09-05-2008, 10:29 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Dear, I did not get a ticket! I got a warning.....I was NOT following too close.
I would appreciate that he didn't give me a "move over" ticket and not
worry so much about his manner
Maybe when your boyfriend pointed out the other cars that were breaking the "move over" law that put him in a bad mood. I also get mad when people try to justify their mistakes by pointing out others doing the same .

Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
OP, I would just go to court and see it out. If you can afford a lawyer, then get one. It sounds to me like you were aware of the law, tried to do what you thought you could and were supposed to do. It sounds to me like the officer over reacted if your version of the story is truly how it played out. There is no reason for a police officer to yell or scream at a person during a traffic stop. A warning or a ticket and an explaination of what the person did wrong would be sufficient.
I was pulled by a Cary police officer last year (not for that but something else) and was SO impressed with his professionalism. In fact all of the police officers I have dealt with here in Cary have been extremely professional and helpful.

Old 09-06-2008, 06:05 AM

271 posts, read 700,803 times
Quote:
NYCinNC

As a matter of fact it WAS on the 27th! Makes you wonder doesnt it???
Yeah..Thats my Point Exactly. They all have Quotas to reach by month End.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 AM

Kelly, I Do appreciate not getting a ticket. His 'manner' is what I do NOT appreciate.

My boyfriend pointed the cars going by AFTER he got his ticket, so that is irrelevant.

You have it all wrong dear, no one is trying to justify their mistakes here.

lamishra, thank you, we were trying to do the right thing. We are aware of the laws and do our best to obey them....

The officer was unprofessional, and that is what I cannot let go. There was no need for the screaming, and I have stated the incident here EXACTLY as it happend. With no embellishments.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:08 AM

140 posts, read 418,019 times
I was driving from NV to NC and in AZ I was pulled over and the policeperson told me "Az just passed this law this week" and I said and how was I to know that since I have just this minute come from NV ? He said "Hmmm, I don't know so here's a warning" and off I went (probably didn't hurt that I had a Super Cop ( FBI agent ) in the car with me) but I do agree that with a local law or one that has not worked it's way across the country you could give "warnings" to a person with out of state plates and a liscense.I am sure the state came make it's money on the next person coming down the road.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM

17 posts, read 37,089 times
I got a ticket for this in Oct 08 in Wake County. I've lived in Charlotte for 13 years and do not recall having heard about this law. I often wonder how we are supposed to stay abreast of new laws, especially ones like this. Read the law book every year? Seriously. Yes, it's common sense, but the reason I failed is that I was torn - do I ride in the left lane, which you aren't supposed to do, or stay in the right, when 2 cops had 1 mini van pulled over, and NO ONE was out of their car, and they were pulled well off the road? I didn't know which was worse, so I did nothing, so cop # 2, the piggy backer, gave me a ticket. He was very angry to begin with. I did nothing to provoke him at all; he eventually calmed down. He realized I had not heard of the law (for those of you who say there are big signs on the interstates about this, those signs assume we all drive on the interstates regularly, which I do NOT). But he did not issue a warning, instead a ticket that totaled almost $400, after making sure I said that I still lived in Charlotte (and not likely to show up for court).

I got several solicitations for legal service in the mail; my husband called them all and went w/ Kuntz and Bloom, or something like that. They charged us about $560 and went to court for me last week. I have a clean driving record; my last ticket was for speeding about 10 years ago. The ticket was reduced to something like improper movement, I rec'd a prayer for judgement, the fine was reduced, I only had to pay $121 court costs, so the law firm REFUNDED ME $125. Overall I was very impressed with the outcome and the refund. It turned out to cost about the same as the ticket, only now I have 0 points on my license unless I mess up again in the next 3 days. Insurance remains to be seen, but it should be less than if I had just paid the ticket outright.

The Law firm said if the judge who hears the case does not appear to be lenient, they would ask for a continuance in the hopes that another judge is in court a different day. I was impressed to hear that as well, but it seems the judge that day had some common sense. I am not a criminal, I drive safely, I just made a poor judgement call. A warning would have worked just fine in making me aware of the law; I promise I will never do this again. Instead Wake county is now a big richer, and in these economically hard times, I am poorer, and am wondering what my insurance will look like when they get ahold of the fine.

This is just another nail in the coffin as to why I hate Wake county and will never move there. Yeah, go ahead and yell that it's my fault...I still hate the Raleigh area.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebubbly View Post
I got a ticket for this in Oct 08 in Wake County. I've lived in Charlotte for 13 years and do not recall having heard about this law. I often wonder how we are supposed to stay abreast of new laws, especially ones like this. Read the law book every year? Seriously. Yes, it's common sense, but the reason I failed is that I was torn - do I ride in the left lane, which you aren't supposed to do, or stay in the right, when 2 cops had 1 mini van pulled over, and NO ONE was out of their car, and they were pulled well off the road?
I've lived here for seven years, and have heard of this law many times. It's been announced on TV in commercials, on the news, in the newspaper, and on the news web sites, in addition to seeing it on signs and billboards.

You're right - it's also common sense. It's common sense to move over when any motorist is on the side of the rode, regardless of the occupant.

As far as riding in the left lane, it's a passing lane - as well as one to use to move over when necessary. This would be one of those times. If you can't move over, then slow down.

The bottom line is, it's a shame it had to become law, when it's something people should do anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary