Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Are there any other unusual traffic laws that I should be aware of in advance?
Yes - if you're planning to visit Dunn, avoid the temptation to go joy-riding through the local cemeteries (even though there may be little else to do in Dunn):
It shall be unlawful for any person to enter the city cemeteries with a vehicle, except for the purposes of carrying material to make graves, building monuments, carrying tombstones or other material for ornamental purposes, transporting a dead body for interment, conveying therefrom a dead body exhumed, or other legitimate business related to the city cemeteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 12:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Here's the Move Over Law in a nutshell:

File under not-so-common common sense. The purpose is to prevent incidents like this. (video link)
That video is an excellent example of why the officer SHOULD park halfway out into the lane that some of you have already complained about. But if the driver that was pulled used a little common sense himself and actually pulled as far off the road as possible this accident would have been prevented.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaBaby View Post
I don't like cops because of the tactics they use. In my friends case, she should have been given a warning, since she had never even heard of this law, and shouldn't have been expected to given she was from Illinois. But instead, she was shown no leniency because the cops are trying to 'send a message'.

And I don't like the law because it didn't allow for warnings for out-of-staters. And I'm fighting it by expressing my dislike of it on this message board!!!
I'm from out of state and I am required by every state to follow their laws when driving. Ignorance doesn't give you an excuse. You can find out the state driving laws by ASKING the DMV or whatever their name is that particular state.

There are numerous signs posted on the highways of NC about this law. If you miss them, you are NOT paying attention to the signs and you are at fault. I've been driving down to NC since 2005 and the signs were there then! So there's no excuse not to follow the law.

Do you know how many law officers are hit every year by some nimrod who's speeding in the right hand lane? We've had officers DIE because of nimrods. I think it's a great law and hope it spreads to other states. People need to take responsibility for themselves and stop acting like idiots when driving.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:34 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,583,386 times
^THANK YOU!!! FINALLY!! THERE IS HOPE IN THIS COUNTRY AFTER ALL!! (and it ain't comin' from our pres., obviously)

Old 03-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Here is exactly why this law was created. Because of IDIOTS!

Officer, Motorist Injured When Tractor Trailer Slams Into Stopped Cars - Charlotte News Story - WSOC Charlotte

Hopefully, this officer is going to be ok and the truck driver should never be allowed to drive a truck again. You have to be a complete MORON to plow into a couple of cars that are off the side of the road. This person should never have been driving. Apparently, they can't handle the responsibility.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
To bad laws don't keep idiots from doing stupid things. Just more worthless laws brought to you by our gov't.

If they really wanna give them a ticket just use negligent or reckless driving. It's exactly what those are for. Do we really need a special law for every situation? I think it's a just another law that makes it easier to hand out tickets and get more revenue.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
It's surprising to me just how many people don't know about this law (71% nationwide apparently), don't understand it, or think it's something weird about North Carolina...something like 46 or 47 states have such a law. Many of them advertise the existence of such laws at state borders.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
It's surprising to me just how many people don't know about this law (71% nationwide apparently), don't understand it, or think it's something weird about North Carolina...something like 46 or 47 states have such a law. Many of them advertise the existence of such laws at state borders.
I didn't know there was a similar law here in NY. There are no signs posted and it wasn't a law when I got my license 16 years ago. There aren't even signs posted when entering NY about this law either. Not from Jersey, MA, or PA. At least, NC DOES have signs posted!

I don't understand why it's such a challenge for people. It's really just common sense. I realize most people don't have the common sense got gave a hummingbird these days.

I don't think it's weird in NC. I think it's a great law since people we're smart enough to do it on their own. Sadly, people had to die before someone did something about it.

Florida had a great law in the 80's - another piece of common sense - that we didn't have in NY. We do now. You have to have your headlights on when using your wipers. That wasn't a law until I think the mid to late 90's up here. It sure makes seeing others much easier in the rain and snow. Certain car colors you can't see in the rain. And forget seeing a white car in the snow!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:28 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,466,371 times
It's funny to me that a lot of people are surprised about this law. I drove cross-country (Portland, OR to Durham, NC) and west of Omaha, Nebraska you had to move over or slow down if ANY car was pulled over on the side of the road! There were signs posted everywhere (I took the Portland-Idaho-Utah-Wyoming-Nebraska-Missouri-Illinois-Tennessee-North Carolina route) advertising this fact. It really helped, because I'd never driven anywhere but Anchorage, where there wasn't such a law when I left; but they were talking about adding it. It's just common sense!

One law I ran into that was a real puzzler was in Portland. There was no posted sign, I actually had to ask someone. I was trying to gas up and there didn't appear to be any self-service gas stations. Turns out it is illegal (according to the person who told me this) for you to pump your own gas in Oregon. From what I was told, that is the only state like that. Now that's something I wouldn't expect anyone to just know, but moving over should be common courtesy.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post

One law I ran into that was a real puzzler was in Portland. There was no posted sign, I actually had to ask someone. I was trying to gas up and there didn't appear to be any self-service gas stations. Turns out it is illegal (according to the person who told me this) for you to pump your own gas in Oregon. From what I was told, that is the only state like that. Now that's something I wouldn't expect anyone to just know, but moving over should be common courtesy.
You can't pump your own gas in Jersey either. Not a fan of it. I do not like how they pry open the nozzle and overfill the tank. The only time I got gas in Jersey they overfilled it and it ran down the side of my car. I was pissed. I could hear it trying to click off and I had to yell at the moron. He was working 4 pumps at the same time. UGH! I never ever get gas in Jersey now. I pay more for it in NY or get it in PA. It's not fun cleaning gas off a new car or any car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary