Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM

11 posts, read 34,367 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Chapel Hill mid August, my husband has visited but I will not be able to before we move there. We will be renting for three months and looking to buy a house there as soon as possible. From the realtor it looks like you can not buy a new house unless it is in the 500K and up price range. There are some older homes that are nice but nothing like what we are use to living in. What would you say the average household income is there? Would we be considered poor if we bought something in the low 300K price range? Just trying to get a feel of the town before we decide to purchase a home. My husband said that it is beautiful there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
It's a lovely place but expensive.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
It's a lovely place but expensive.
Yes, that is what my husband said. I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like from his description and pictures, I just wondered if we would fit in there. We decided there b/c of the school system being so stable for our children.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
No, you would not be considered poor. If that is a concern however, and you would really like new construction, you can find very nice homes in the low to mid 300's in surrounding areas such as Mebane, Hillsborough, or North Durham.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Very intellectual, university town. My dentist lives there and loves it.

Free bus transportation.

Very diverse and liberal orientation.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathering information View Post
Yes, that is what my husband said. I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like from his description and pictures, I just wondered if we would fit in there. We decided there b/c of the school system being so stable for our children.
Where will you or he be working?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the positive post, my husband will be working at BBH in Durham. My husband was concerned about the schools not being the best in Orange Co. but I think if it is a well rounded enviornment, with stability and security (we've moved 6 times in the last, will be 4 years) and there is parent involvement it will be fine. We will have three months to look for a house so I will look into the areas that you mentioned. Thank you.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gathering information View Post
Thanks for the positive post, my husband will be working at BBH in Durham. My husband was concerned about the schools not being the best in Orange Co. but I think if it is a well rounded enviornment, with stability and security (we've moved 6 times in the last, will be 4 years) and there is parent involvement it will be fine. We will have three months to look for a house so I will look into the areas that you mentioned. Thank you.
I'd visit the schools associated with the neighborhoods you find, and speak with the Principal, maybe a few teachers and parents. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro School system is great, and so is the Durham County School system. I'm not very familiar with Orange county, but honestly this whole area has some very good schools.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:54 PM

823 posts, read 3,923,331 times
There is a very wide income range in Chapel Hill from folks in public housing, indebted students, retirees to poorly paid post docs to well paid doctors and business people. Real estate is more expensive than the surrounding areas. $300K will buy an older 3 bed/2 bath ranch in a decent part of town if you hunt. It seems that at least some of the Orange County schools are also very good. We have a lot less house here in Chapel Hill than we used to in Pennsylvania.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM

35 posts, read 293,053 times
gathering information: don't forget to check the tax rates on homes in Chapel Hill - we would like to move there also for the same reasons, but we are "taxed out" from living north of Chicago and are hesitant to jump back into crazy taxes!! good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary