Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
NC pays nothing for family benefits, only for the employee.

Someone with a spouse and 5 kids gets a deal at $480. With only a spouse, gets a hit.

Would be nice if there was a spouse only family rate.
You hit the nail on the head saturnfan!

$480 a month for 5 kids doesn't sound too bad. But $480 a month for just a husband or wife hits you where it hurts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:52 PM

153 posts, read 460,114 times
There is a spouse only plan...its $461 instead of $489...woo hoo! If you have a bunch of kids, its a bargain...but we have the standard 2 kids...

Old 06-12-2008, 05:00 PM

551 posts, read 2,287,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Speaking of insurance, can someone explain why the same individual BCBSNC plan is $90 more for a woman than for a man? (no maternity coverage, btw.) Is it our longer life expectancy?
I'm guessing, but it's my experience that women tend to use more healthcare services than men.

Just my opinion here, but I believe that the only route to affordable healthcare is for individuals have more responsibility and therefore more of the financial risk. I think that it's going to take a financial incentive for people to take control of their own health and make the tough decisions and behavior changes that will improve health and reduce the amount of healthcare services that are needed! I am hoping that the growth of consumer-directed health plans - HSAs combined with coverage for major events - will help us do just that.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:13 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You hit the nail on the head saturnfan!

$480 a month for 5 kids doesn't sound too bad. But $480 a month for just a husband or wife hits you where it hurts!
We have a price for employee.. price for employee + spouse.. and the highest price is for employee, spouse and family.

We spend soo much $$$ on Rx copays... one of her Rx had a "cash price" of $500.00 - what in the world??? I was thankful to pay $60.00 and leave Walgreens...

Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
It stinks, but lots of money goes into making those drugs. I'm assuming that is a pill...think about all the biopharmaceutical drugs like injectables and infusion therapies. Those can cost a lot more.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvwakeforest View Post
We have a price for employee.. price for employee + spouse.. and the highest price is for employee, spouse and family.

We spend soo much $$$ on Rx copays... one of her Rx had a "cash price" of $500.00 - what in the world??? I was thankful to pay $60.00 and leave Walgreens...
Sometimes asking your doctor for a less expensive drug might get you the same benefit at a great price.

Since many new drugs wind up recalled in a year or two for serious issues, taking an older proven drug might be in your best interest for more than financial reasons.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 AM

331 posts, read 1,311,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
I'm guessing, but it's my experience that women tend to use more healthcare services than men.

Just my opinion here, but I believe that the only route to affordable healthcare is for individuals have more responsibility and therefore more of the financial risk. I think that it's going to take a financial incentive for people to take control of their own health and make the tough decisions and behavior changes that will improve health and reduce the amount of healthcare services that are needed! I am hoping that the growth of consumer-directed health plans - HSAs combined with coverage for major events - will help us do just that.

The insurance companies state that women go to doctors more than men, between the ages of 30 and 50 and after that, men catch up with women in regards to how often they see doctors.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,553 times
I pay about $800/month for my "contribution" to a plan that is self funded by my employer... so I'm guessing they are making a money on it.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:17 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I pay about 200 per month. I think that if you have to pay over 500 a month that it isnt worth it. Save that money yourself, earn interest and pay cash. If you have kids there is an argument there I am sure.
Kids or not this is really bad advive. One hospitalization can set you back
100K or more. A heart surgery or cancer or intensive care visit can be
400K easy.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Kids or not this is really bad advive. One hospitalization can set you back
100K or more. A heart surgery or cancer or intensive care visit can be
400K easy.
Very true.

Appendicitis could set you back 10 grand.

Also, uninsured folks are charged dramatically more than negotiated rates for insurers.

If you go bare on health coverage, be sure you can keep all your assets when you file your Chapter 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary