Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 AM

16 posts, read 32,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knagy389us View Post
Hey Fred,

Just moved from Ocean County, NJ last May, (grew up in Carteret) so almost here a year. I can relate very well to all your worries.
Thanks for taking the time to detail your reply! that was really nice of you.

How did you wind up living in NC?
thanks,

Fred
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 AM

16 posts, read 32,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
Hi Fred,

I'm from Northern NJ, Passaic County area. I've been living here for over 4 years and have to admit I have not missed NJ much, especially the brutal winters I couldn't wait to get away from! Of course there are some things I would like to see more of here, such as, better public transportation and downtowns with small retail shops like we have up North. But there are so many other things I wouldn't give up like the short winters, low property taxes, lower housing costs, communities with pools, slower pace, great schools, family friendly atmosphere with so many activities offered throughout the year.

NC is a great place to call home.

Rocio

Hello Rocio, and thanks for the kind reply.
so you're in the real state industry, right? are you in the triangle area?
thanks!
Fred

Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM

192 posts, read 313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjsnj View Post
Hello Rocio, and thanks for the kind reply.
so you're in the real state industry, right? are you in the triangle area?
thanks!
Fred
Hi Fred, I am in Real Estate and do service the Triangle area. Even though many people don't understand why anybody in their right minds would want to sell Real Estate in this day and age, I happen to think that this is the perfect time to learn, grow and connect with all of the people that want to make NC their home. In the past year I've met so many people from Jersey, NY, Connecticut, Massachusetts. They had either moved here already or were contemplating coming down.

I also want to mention that there's another pizza place in Raleigh. They came from the NY area and you can tell, the slices are huge just like up North and they make one mean pizza. It's now called 'Camos Brothers', they used to go by the name of 'Fuhgeddaboudit'. You can check out some reviews here:

Camos Brothers Pizza - North Raleigh - Raleigh | Urbanspoon

Are you coming in the summer. If you are, you must go 'down the shore' as we say in Jersey, so many people laugh when I say that, here in NC you go to the 'beaches'...

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
Hhere in NC you go to the 'beaches'...
Actually just "to the beach", singular. "The beach" in NC (and most states) corresponds to "the shore" in NJ.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:46 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,472 times
Default Tax

Don't foget that one has to pay property tax on your vechicles, which I feel is insane, especially given the fact that the poorly lit roads and lack of decent road signs make driving especially at night a real challenge!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:07 PM

192 posts, read 313,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Actually just "to the beach", singular. "The beach" in NC (and most states) corresponds to "the shore" in NJ.
Thank you for the correction Francois....'beach' it is...

Rocio

Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
FWIW, The moniker "The Shore" only applies to certain parts of the NJ coastline. You are only going down to "the Shore" if you are planning to visit the beach in Central or Southern NJ.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
FWIW, The moniker "The Shore" only applies to certain parts of the NJ coastline. You are only going down to "the Shore" if you are planning to visit the beach in Central or Southern NJ.
It's always "down the shore", no matter what direction you travel to get there. no beaches in Northern New Jersey either.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM

342 posts, read 752,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjsnj View Post
How did you wind up living in NC?
Fred
We threw around several possible states, and high on the criteria list included cost of living, climate, distance from NJ, and would I be able to find employment in my field. So far, all of these have been met

Other factors that helped us make our decision were, knowing a few NJ transplants that moved to NC and the fact that NC State was on my daughters list of colleges she was accepted to (which she did choose with no pressure from me

In the end being in the right places at the right time (employment/real estate-wise) are what made it all come together. And the NC acorns that I kept in my pockets for good luck as we made trips to NC trying to figure it all out. And not knowing Raleigh is known as the City of Oaks - made the acorn symbolism pretty kewl.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:50 AM

25 posts, read 75,333 times
I moved to the triangle area from NJ about 2 years ago. I LOVE it here.

NC has slightly higher gas prices because they implemented some stupid NC gas tax. Its supposedly because we have lower taxes elsewhere.

In average the temperature here in the triangle is roughly 5 to 10 degrees higher then in NJ. So if you average 80s in NJ... expect 90's here. Its not a perfect science but it gives you an idea.

Cost of living could not even begin to compare. My fiance and i just bought a 10 yr old 1400 sq foot home in excellent condition for 130k down here.... If we were still in NJ we'd be luck to afford an 800 sq foot apartment and even then we'd be paying more then we are for our mortgage.

We live outside the city and our house is only 130k so we pay 1200 a year in property taxes. my parents house in jersey thats the same sq footage they pay like 6 or 7k a year. Not to mention the cost of electric is nearly double in NJ. Most of my family plans on leaving nj at some point just because they can't afford to live there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary