Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 AM

342 posts, read 752,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjsnj View Post
and that's on top of the registration?
Yes, $28 for the plate fee, as it's called, and registration. We have just finished swinging all of our NJ titles/regs over to NC, so I know the process well

Having multiple, some specialized vehicles, I've run the full spectrum of this process, which is not so bad. The fee that irks me is the one-time, Highway Usage Tax you pay when titling the first time in NC. It could be a max of $150, each vehicle, depending on how they value your vehicle.

After that, you pay an annual personal property tax (strange syntax for us Northerners) based on the value of your vehicle, and your county fire district. For values, it looked like KBB was close to what I was taxed at.

It is well justified for me when comparing my NJ real estate taxes to my NC real estate taxes + personal property taxes. Consider the cheaper cost of insurances here, and it's another plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 AM

4 posts, read 5,564 times
Hi there
We moved to Clayton from Morris County, NJ in Aug of 09'. We have a 12 yr old daughter, she started the 5th grade here. I was lucky because my sister had been down here for 7 yrs previous, but I had never been down here until I decided to move here.
I learned that Johnston county didnt have the year round school year like Wake county does ( or maybe not all of wake county) I have no idea, but all I ever hear on the news since I've been here is something going on about te wake county schools.

I'll tell you about clayton:
  • It's about a 20 min-1/2 hr to Cary & Raleigh, longer drive for points north!
  • Clayton is still growing.
  • BEST schools! Downtown Clayton NC: BUSINESSWEEK RANKS CLAYTON AMONG NATION’S BEST My daughter went to west clayton Elementary and Clayton Middle and has excelled!
  • You can get 'More for your money' if you buy a house in Clayton! Now Theres a difference I have learned. I live in the town of Clayton, and live in Wynston subdivision, when we first moved here, we bought a mobil home while looking for a house and had a Clayton address (you still attend clayton schools) but you live in Johnston county and pay your taxes to johnston county, not the town of clayton, and you dont get the 'perks' of the town like the cheaper membership fees at the community center, not much more, BUT the taxes are a bit cheaper and the houses are BIGGER!
  • There are dentist office, GP's, orthodontist, Fast food, Walmart, supermarkets (I go to Cary twice a months to Whole Foods for steak and produce!)
  • Welcome to the Town of Clayton, North Carolina
  • Johnston County - North Carolina
  • Downtown Clayton NC | Doing it again!
Gas today is $3.79 a gallon, not too bad!! I was just in CT visiting my sister, it was $4.21 in Brookfield!! YIKES!! CHEAPEST in NJ and I LOVE not pumping my own gas!!

I LOVE IT HERE!!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-23-2012 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- new members may NOT make recommendations

Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
I live in a great apartment complex in North Raleigh, having previously lived in Los Angeles, NYC, NJ, and New Orleans.

As I see the TV shots of the I40/Clayton bypass every weekday, I really appreciate my great location.

Not having my nerves frazzled and my car prematurely worn out by commuting is priceless as they say at Master Card.

I'll give up the bigger home in a heartbeat. Our kids excelled in WCPSS and got great jobs after graduation.

The only thing that makes me like Clayton is C3 Church. Pastor Matt tried to open a Raleigh campus which we really enjoyed. However, it failed and Pastor Matt now only has his Clayton church.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
I'm glad I found this thread as Fred asked alot of the questions I had rolling around in my head and the answers people gave him have helped me. I just need to sort out relocation from an international perspective. I am a NYer living in England with my British husband. We're trying to figure if it would be easier for me to come over first and find a job and place to live or if we hold out and hope an employer would give my husband work permit for a year until we can get him a green card as my spouse.

Sorry if that reads like gibberish!

Thanks

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM

448 posts, read 851,918 times
I know very little about immigration and work visas but I will try. What is your husband's field? Is it field where work visas are issued? I know it would be hard to be apart. I would think you coming first and finding a job would be best.

Check your DM.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,737 times
Thanks for that azteacher721!

Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times
We moved from Princeton, NJ in July 2010 to Wake Forest. I found the cost of living to be lower, mainly the housing and property taxes. As others have said, I do miss Wegman's! The school my kids attend is decent. Probably not as good as it would have been in Princeton, but I'll make sure they turn out ok, anyway. The heat in the summer is intense. Much worse than NJ or NY, IMO. I think the sun seems more direct, and it's day after day after day, versus just a few days here and there. June, July, August, and part of September are almost unbearable, IMO. I dread going to the mailbox at the end of my driveway, when it's pushing 100 and the humidity is high. We bought a nice house in a subdivision that doesn't have a pool. If I had to do it again, I would have made sure there was an HOA pool within walking distance of my home.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:34 AM

36 posts, read 69,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Good luck with your decision. There are many reasons why we moved here but wanting to get our kids away from the rat-race mentality and the cost of living in NY were big factors. NY isn't going anywhere they can always start a career there if they choose - but now they won't feel tied to that area because they grew up there and live in a basement apartment for 10 years while they try to scrounge to buy a house.
Twingles,your description of why you left sounds just like me now! Still trying to find the best area w/in NC to move as we are not tied into a commute, but do need to be near businesses (Dh is self-employed and I remote into work)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Having lived 10 years in lower Manhattan, I miss the transit system dearly.

On the plus side, apartment rents are decent and apartments are loaded with features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary