Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:34 PM

448 posts, read 851,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We moved here from Long Island. I agree that the people who have moved here from anywhere else and have the most trouble are those who really don't WANT to move but feel they have to for whatever reason. Most people who truly come here because they want to, I think end up happy.

There was a big difference in cost of living for us - we lowered our property taxes by $9000 a year. Our electric, gas, and car and homeowners are also much lower - enough to make a difference in our monthly budget.

Schools are good but I'm not gonna lie - I'd be leery of moving into Wake schools right now with school age kids (not a factor for you). No doubt you'll end up in a perfectly fine school but when we moved here in 2010 there was a lot more control (ironic, given the fact that the new plan is supposed to give parents more control). However, you have a baby and that will give you plenty of time to see how it all shakes out.

The weather? Well, this is the south, and it always amuses me when someone from north of the Mason-Dixon Line asks if it's going to be hotter here. Of course it is. ANd while you can take the "averages" and make comparisons, we can all look at the averages for wherever we live and know that they aren't really accurate for day-to-day living. The daily average for my town on Long Island in January is something like 38 degrees. It's usually a good bit colder than that. Additionally the sun is much stronger down here than it is in the northeast. The only I will say is - the humidiity is generally what people complain about the most down here and IMHO it's got nothing on the coastal areas of NY/NJ....the humidity is much worse on LI. There have been only a handful of days where we've felt the need to complain about the humidity here.

Good luck with your decision. There are many reasons why we moved here but wanting to get our kids away from the rat-race mentality and the cost of living in NY were big factors. NY isn't going anywhere they can always start a career there if they choose - but now they won't feel tied to that area because they grew up there and live in a basement apartment for 10 years while they try to scrounge to buy a house.
I have been wondering what the summers were like from a LIER
We have been in AZ for the past sixteen years and it may be a DRY heat here but after 114, it doesn't matter. If it is not as humid as Long Island then I will be happy. Grew up in Lake Ronkonkoma. I have definitely learned in the past 16 years that AC is your friend in summer and I don't plan on giving up this friend when we move in June.

Have to be honest that the whole Wake County school mess has me looking at Johnston county school district. We will be there next week and will do some house hunting in the Clayton area due to the schools. If we could afford Chapel Hill, that also might be an option but for now we will just have to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,248 times
Default Positive feedback on NJ (Morris County [chatham]) --> triangle

Hi Fred,

I spent 45 years in NJ, born in Carteret, lived in Hoboken while in college, moved a little west to Madison then Chatham in my 30's and early 40's. My small company was sold, and I took a job with SAS in Cary, packed up my family and moved to the triangle for my new job.

That was 18 months ago. I really could not be happier. I do miss seeing my family and friends from NJ, as I only really get back once a year. There will be a emotional pull no matter where one goes if leaving friends and family behind, that cannot be avoided.

Cost of day-to-day living gas, food, clothes, etc... is comparable, some items a little more, some a little less. Real estate taxes are lower, auto insurance is lower, and housing is WAY LOWER (think 50 or 60%).

While Raliegh and Cary are populace, there density/sq mile is pretty low as they are spread out. in Apex, where I moved (which borders Cary and Raleigh) I get the smaller town feel of Chatham and Madison, NJ where I used to live. There is a small down town, there are large shopping centers, and there are rural horse farms. For me it is a very good fit.

I was able to double the size of my my small house, and move from a 30yr mortgage in NJ to a 15 year mortgage in the Triangle. This was a great boost in raising the standard of living of my family, and saving for retirement and college for the kids.

In a sentence, "I like it hear, it make me comfortable."

I did a lot of research on schools as I have a girl who is entering Kindergarten this year, a boy who is in pre-K, and an infant daughter. Everything in the area of Apex I am now living in points to stellar schools with lots of parental involvement.

Hope this helps,
Scott.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM

16 posts, read 32,044 times
Hi Scott,

we are from the same area in NJ. Carteret is right around the corner.

Thank you for your input. I'll make note of the location you are, I'm definitely taking a peek when I'm there.
be blessed,
Fred

Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,720 times
We moved here from East Windsor, NJ, in late 2009, and have not looked back. I agree with what all the posters have written. One thing found a bit daunting was the property tax on our cars - something we didn't have in NJ. Also, the transfer of titles of the cars was daunting, but nothing that we didn't make up for the second year we lived here.

Overall, we are happier in our little neck of the North Carolina woods. We settled in southwest Cary, near Holy Springs and Apex and love the parks, the reduced traffic, and the nice neighbors.

Good luck with your move if you decide to come here!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnowapefamily View Post
We moved here from East Windsor, NJ, in late 2009, and have not looked back. I agree with what all the posters have written. One thing found a bit daunting was the property tax on our cars - something we didn't have in NJ. Also, the transfer of titles of the cars was daunting, but nothing that we didn't make up for the second year we lived here.

Overall, we are happier in our little neck of the North Carolina woods. We settled in southwest Cary, near Holy Springs and Apex and love the parks, the reduced traffic, and the nice neighbors.

Good luck with your move if you decide to come here!

I see...
but on the other hand, your car insurance premium is considerably lower than here in Jersey, right?

and since we're talking about insurance, is there any significant difference in health insurance premiums compared to NJ?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 AM

398 posts, read 1,292,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjsnj View Post
I see...
but on the other hand, your car insurance premium is considerably lower than here in Jersey, right?

and since we're talking about insurance, is there any significant difference in health insurance premiums compared to NJ?
OH yes, the difference in our car insurance is incredible - more than half for two cars (a 2004 and a 2009). I am certainly not complaining about that.

However, the transfers were nearly $500 for both cars the first year we were here.

I can't speak for the health insurance, as ours didn't change with our move.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 PM

192 posts, read 313,074 times
Hi Fred,

I'm from Northern NJ, Passaic County area. I've been living here for over 4 years and have to admit I have not missed NJ much, especially the brutal winters I couldn't wait to get away from! Of course there are some things I would like to see more of here, such as, better public transportation and downtowns with small retail shops like we have up North. But there are so many other things I wouldn't give up like the short winters, low property taxes, lower housing costs, communities with pools, slower pace, great schools, family friendly atmosphere with so many activities offered throughout the year.

NC is a great place to call home.

Rocio

Old 03-08-2012, 07:15 AM

342 posts, read 752,022 times
Hey Fred,

Just moved from Ocean County, NJ last May, (grew up in Carteret) so almost here a year. I can relate very well to all your worries. We really like it here, the area, the people...etc.

To answer your Q's:

- How's the cost of living in the Triangle compared to NJ?
Basically, food seems the same if not a little more. Nat Gas and electric are much more inexpensive, labor is also less expensive, as seen when we have had dealings with various contractors. Vehicle insurance is also much more inexpensive.

- Are public schools in that area good?
I have a daughter at NC State, which she really likes and will get in state tuition this year.

- How are the temperatures there in the summer time? Is it hotter then here in NJ?
Summer temps here were = to if not a little higher than NJ. Humidity is the key factor, but in comparison, NJ is no bargain either.

- I know gas prices are sky rocketing everywhere. But on average, how much are the triangle residents paying for a gallon as of today (Mar-03-2012)?

Paying $3.73 now. Cool thing here is there are incentives offered which in NJ cannot be. Sheetz gives you 3 cents off / gal just for having their rewards card. And some grocery stores, such as Lowes, give you 5 cents off / gal of gas at Hess (or Lowes) for every $100 you spend there.

Good luck, hope your relocate goes as smooth as ours should you decide. PM me if you need detailed specifics on anything.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM

126 posts, read 314,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Good luck with your decision. There are many reasons why we moved here but wanting to get our kids away from the rat-race mentality and the cost of living in NY were big factors. NY isn't going anywhere they can always start a career there if they choose - but now they won't feel tied to that area because they grew up there and live in a basement apartment for 10 years while they try to scrounge to buy a house.
Seems I am constantly trying to give rep points to twingles - I must like a lot of what you have to say! We also moved here from Long Island in 2004 and lived in the Asheville area until 2010, now here in Hillsborough. My commute to Durham reminds me of driving on the North Fork of Long Island out to Greenport, lovely country. We also saved a lot on our taxes and I find the quality of life better here across the board, some things are different and cost more than in NY, and some less. Weather was a little adjustment, but it gets soupy up there as well and in NJ you get a good stretch of those 105 days sometimes, not sure if it stays as humid here for the same long lengths of time, but the sun feels hotter, especially out in the mountains. Thats what AC is for, right? Mowing your lawn at 9PM is a good thing. We have two italian restaurants in town and the owners are from Garden City, NY and Valley Stream, NY - so your fix of NJ/NY pizza should be covered anywhere down here, lots of posts about terrific food from everywhere locally. Enjoy and good luck!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101159 View Post
We have two italian restaurants in town and the owners are from Garden City, NY and Valley Stream, NY - so your fix of NJ/NY pizza should be covered anywhere down here, lots of posts about terrific food from everywhere locally. Enjoy and good luck!
LOL good to know! i like that!
thank you for your post

Fred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary