Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM

342 posts, read 752,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykate05 View Post
NC has slightly higher gas prices because they implemented some stupid NC gas tax. Its supposedly because we have lower taxes elsewhere. .
Also helps that NJ has all the refineries there on the Delaware, and the incoming oil barges on the NY side. NJ always did have the cheapest gas.

But I'll take higher gas prices here in exchange for everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:44 PM

43 posts, read 86,811 times
I lived in north Jersey for almost 20 years before my company transferred me here 6 years ago. When I lived in Jersey City I was just one hop by PATH from WTC. Nevertheless, while I still think NYC is the coolest city in the whole world I would never go back to live there again for many reasons (Well, maybe if I won a lottery and could afford a posh neighborhood in the suburbs). Some things are cheaper here or over there and you can always find acceptable substitutes, such as typical NY food items or fancy clothing. Or you can acquire a new taste to appreciate what this area can offer. The weather in the summer can be as torturous as in NYC although if you ever stood on a NY subway platform in August you can actually enjoy it here. The other two seasons here are fall and spring. There’s no winter here.
The bottom line the quality of life here is leaps and bounds above what the Tri State area can possibly offer for a working family. I haven’t met a single family from the Tri state area who’d live in the Triangle and then went back where they came from.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:26 PM

6 posts, read 14,298 times
Hi Fred,

We moved here 1- 1/2 years ago...my husband retired and we bought a house in a small residential development. We lived in Central Jersey and could not wait to get out. Yes, we miss family and friends, but that's it. Well, ok, still can't find pizza that compares! What we really like? The reduced congestion. It's so pretty down here! You can drive just 5 minutes and see horses and cattle...a strawberry farm just five minutes away...there's no comparison to Jersey. We did love the Jersey shore and I personally like that better than the NC beaches, from what I've seen so far. However, on a day to day basis, the quality of life, we feel, is so much better. Good luck with your move, it's a bit scary but sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet!!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 PM

16 posts, read 32,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajnucch View Post
Don't foget that one has to pay property tax on your vechicles, which I feel is insane, especially given the fact that the poorly lit roads and lack of decent road signs make driving especially at night a real challenge!
what car do you have and how much do you pay in taxes? is it paid annually?
thanks

Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rociovrojas View Post
Hi Fred, I am in Real Estate and do service the Triangle area. Even though many people don't understand why anybody in their right minds would want to sell Real Estate in this day and age, I happen to think that this is the perfect time to learn, grow and connect with all of the people that want to make NC their home. In the past year I've met so many people from Jersey, NY, Connecticut, Massachusetts. They had either moved here already or were contemplating coming down.

I also want to mention that there's another pizza place in Raleigh. They came from the NY area and you can tell, the slices are huge just like up North and they make one mean pizza. It's now called 'Camos Brothers', they used to go by the name of 'Fuhgeddaboudit'. You can check out some reviews here:

Camos Brothers Pizza - North Raleigh - Raleigh | Urbanspoon

Are you coming in the summer. If you are, you must go 'down the shore' as we say in Jersey, so many people laugh when I say that, here in NC you go to the 'beaches'...
Yes I'll be visiting the area in the Summer.
thank you so much for all the details you've been providing me.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thElement View Post
The bottom line the quality of life here is leaps and bounds above what the Tri State area can possibly offer for a working family. I haven’t met a single family from the Tri state area who’d live in the Triangle and then went back where they came from.
Good luck with your decision!
thank you!
and thanks for sharing your thoughts

Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjob80 View Post
Hi Fred,

We moved here 1- 1/2 years ago...my husband retired and we bought a house in a small residential development. We lived in Central Jersey and could not wait to get out. Yes, we miss family and friends, but that's it. Well, ok, still can't find pizza that compares! What we really like? The reduced congestion. It's so pretty down here! You can drive just 5 minutes and see horses and cattle...a strawberry farm just five minutes away...there's no comparison to Jersey. We did love the Jersey shore and I personally like that better than the NC beaches, from what I've seen so far. However, on a day to day basis, the quality of life, we feel, is so much better. Good luck with your move, it's a bit scary but sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet!!
Hello there!
In what town you and your husband decided to buy property?
thanks!!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,941,307 times
I lived in NYC from 2000-2010 and just spent 2 days up there for a doctor's appt. And while there are more good-looking men there than anywhere else in the country, you couldn't pay me to live there again. I hated continuously walking down filthy, dirty concrete streets. Flying home yesterday into beautiful tree-covered metro Atlanta was the greatest feeling in the world. The City is a great experience for young people, but when I turned 40 I was ready to leave.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We once lived in Manhattan and miss good public transit dearly after living here 22 years.

With poorly designed, unlighted roads, it's hard for anyone w/o great vision and stellar reflexes to safely use the interstates. I, for one, live in Raleigh but cannot travel to Durham or Chapel Hill for events.

When a family needs to buy more vehicles than before, and pay outrageous fuel expenses, some of the financial advantages evaporate.
amen ! "They don't believe in road lights and good road signs!"

Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredjsnj View Post
what car do you have and how much do you pay in taxes? is it paid annually?
thanks
I have a 2008 Corolla and pay about $120/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary