Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM

142 posts, read 520,777 times

Advertisements

hi - we're thinking of moving from MA and a friend of ours from Cary said you have copperheads down there. How much of an issue is this? Are the prevalent in neighborhoods? Would we have to worry about our kids playing in the backyard? I'm not that familiar with snakes, but I know I'm not a fan of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 12:06 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,688,037 times
Yup we have your copperheads and then some, . Do a search and you will find numerous discussions on this particular lovely critter topic,

Old 04-19-2007, 12:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad77 View Post
hi - we're thinking of moving from MA and a friend of ours from Cary said you have copperheads down there. How much of an issue is this? Are the prevalent in neighborhoods? Would we have to worry about our kids playing in the backyard? I'm not that familiar with snakes, but I know I'm not a fan of them!
Yes, they are down here, no it isn't that big an issue. We don't have kids getting bit on playgrounds or backyards on even a semi-regular basis. (I won't say it's never happened...but really...it's probably as common in your area for someone to get bit by a poisonous snake as it is down here.)

Old 04-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Yes, they are down here, no it isn't that big an issue. We don't have kids getting bit on playgrounds or backyards on even a semi-regular basis. (I won't say it's never happened...but really...it's probably as common in your area for someone to get bit by a poisonous snake as it is down here.)
No Desdemona, that is not really true for someone to have a better chance getting bit by a snake in MA then down here. Snakes really are all around here. Again past discussions have spoken about them being around but keep your wits about ya and just be prepared with it in your head there are snakes. And yes Cary did have a huge problem with snakes years back, and yes they still are around.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:19 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,076 times
We live in North Raleigh and have had two copperheads in our yard in eight years... Not something that I think about every day but am aware of...

Old 04-19-2007, 12:20 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumngal View Post
No Desdemona, that is not really true for someone to have a better chance getting bit by a snake in MA then down here. Snakes really are all around here. Again past discussions have spoken about them being around but keep your wits about ya and just be prepared with it in your head there are snakes. And yes Cary did have a huge problem with snakes years back, and yes they still are around.
How come Cary so much over some of the other areas?

Old 04-19-2007, 12:23 PM

It was not Cary over so much of the other areas, the original poster was specifically asking about Cary. But yes a few years ago Cary was having a copperhead problem during a very hot season.

And that is the key, just stay aware of them, they are around.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 PM

142 posts, read 520,777 times
but are they found in developed neighborhoods? Is it just expected to have them in our backyard? To my knonwledge we don't have venomous snakes in MA, and if we do, I've never heard of any. The most I've seen is a 12 inch garden snake that is not going to do anything to you. Do they run from you and avoid you? Or do they stand their ground and you have to avoid them? This is all new to me...

Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM

21 posts, read 70,582 times
We're in NY, and we have about the same kind of snakes you do...harmless garter snakes.

For the most part, snakes are not aggressive. I'm sure if you surprise one and threaten it, it might attack, but you're more likely to be stung by a bee or get west nile from a skeeter than get bitten by a snake.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:32 PM

sweetie, just keep in mind there are snakes. Usually the more congested the area the less chance you will see a snake, and you are good to go,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary