Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:48 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

At least with the hard case you have the option to move one transponder between vehicles if you have one that seldom needs to use the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,340,465 times
I thought the website said you have to have one transponder per vehicle. Can you really share a single transponder between vehicles? This would be ideal for our situation in which we have 3 cars amongst the 4 adults but neither one of us will use the Toll regularly.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
If it's like the EZPass, technically you should have one for each car but I know plenty of people that share a transponder between cars.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:42 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
I'm not real clear on whether you can use a single transponder for multiple vehicles with Quick Pass...sure would like to. Yes, the rules say you need one for each vehicle, and I know people with EZPass can skirt around that with no problem. Heck, I've used my in-laws' EZPass on my car a couple of times.

But with NC also having the video tolling, are they also taking photos of your plate if you have a transponder? If so, they can catch you if the plate in the photo isn't registered to the Quick Pass account.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:44 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
They have cameras up North though at the toll booths for monitoring. I guess it's a matter of if they bother enforcing the rules or not.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
But with NC also having the video tolling, are they also taking photos of your plate if you have a transponder? If so, they can catch you if the plate in the photo isn't registered to the Quick Pass account.
But that would be a huge waste of time and totally negate the reason for the transponders in the first place! In other words, that is probably exactly what they are doing.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:04 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
But that would be a huge waste of time and totally negate the reason for the transponders in the first place! In other words, that is probably exactly what they are doing.
Well I assume they take photos of all vehicles, right? Unless the transponder registers soon enough that it prevents the camera from going off.

Even with photos of all vehicles, they wouldn't bother looking at the photos for ones where the transponder registered. Although if they're using optical recognition it would be easy for the computer to match the scanned plate against the ones on record for the transponder. Most will likely match, and there's very little cost in implementing that.

It's when you need to bring a human to verify the scanned plate number that costs go up. Do they do human confirmation on non-transponder vehicle plate reads? They could presumably also do ones flagged by the system for plate not matching transponder record.

I imagine penalty would be low though...probably just a letter saying "Hey, you need a separate transponder for that vehicle."

Old 09-05-2012, 04:19 PM

915 posts, read 3,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
taking picture is used for check and balance also for vehicle without transponder.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,340,465 times
Hmm, so I guess there's no consensus whether or not one transponder will work on multiple vehicles without penalty.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:26 PM

51 posts, read 112,252 times
Looks like they aren't making enough money from the tolls. I've seen someone pulled over just about every day for the past couple of weeks. It's easy pickings on that road with the light traffic. I keep my cruise at 70 from 40 to 64. Too easy to go faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary