Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times

Advertisements

This past week we took our large dog to both the Millbrook Exchange and Oakwood dog parks. We are all new to the dog park experience, but we had a good time and plan to go back to both.

For those of you who are local dog-park savvy, I was wondering which local park do you/your dog(s) prefer and why? (Location, amenities, etc.) And how often do you go? Have you seen any positive results from your local experiences? (Has your dog become more social, made friends, have YOU made friends?)

Anything to keep a lookout for from a safety perspective at specific parks? Of course one should always follow general safety precautions anywhere, and we plan to start taking our own water bowls - but, for example, a friend told me in her town, there's a creepy person at her park certain days/times that she avoids.

Our two times were very different, as we went to Millbrook on a weekday afternoon, and Oakwood on Saturday afternoon. I liked having more dogs at the latter, but met some of the nicest people I've met in my 12 years here, at Millbrook.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
We went to the one in Cary when we went since you have to provide up to date vaccination records to get access to the park. But our dog had some bad experiences with aggressive dogs so we unfortunately had to stop going. Our vet calls dog parks giant vet bills waiting to happen lol.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM

29 posts, read 81,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
We went to the one in Cary when we went since you have to provide up to date vaccination records to get access to the park. But our dog had some bad experiences with aggressive dogs so we unfortunately had to stop going. Our vet calls dog parks giant vet bills waiting to happen lol.
That sounds horrible I have been planning on going to the Cary one in a couple of months, when it's warmer. But now it sounds scary. My dog is a tiny toy breed, a snack for agressive dogs.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

72 posts, read 128,264 times
Agree on the "vet bills waiting to happen" comment.
Dog parks are full of clueless, inattentive owners. Also, Google the term "predatory drift". Even the most well trained dogs can fall into it. I've seen it happen; not pretty.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green7 View Post
That sounds horrible I have been planning on going to the Cary one in a couple of months, when it's warmer. But now it sounds scary. My dog is a tiny toy breed, a snack for agressive dogs.
All dog parks have aggressive dogs in them. Just a matter of if you happen to be at the park at the same time as the aggressive dog.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:53 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Green7, if you have a tiny toy dog make sure you only take it to the small dog park. Agree with Tournant - look up predatory drift - I've heard of it happening.

Pineywood Park in South Durham has a very active small dog park. There are sometimes small dogs in the large park but I think it's a HUGE mistake (in fact, I heard of a small dog being killed in it once).

I stopped going to dog parks - my dog is too dog selective and I'm just too afraid of aggressive dogs. But if I had a small dog I would take it to the small dog park at Pineywood. It's not that far from Cary because it's close to I-40.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
"Local Dog Park Scoops Where you Need to Pick up their Poop" . . sorry..in strange mood

Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
but seriously Millbrook is nice but too much for our dogs and I think just because it gets a higher number of visits . .I prefer hands down . .(or paws) the Wake Forest one at Flaherty . . we try to go off hours (early and and evenings busiest . .so between 10-3 it's great.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

29 posts, read 81,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Green7, if you have a tiny toy dog make sure you only take it to the small dog park. Agree with Tournant - look up predatory drift - I've heard of it happening.

Pineywood Park in South Durham has a very active small dog park. There are sometimes small dogs in the large park but I think it's a HUGE mistake (in fact, I heard of a small dog being killed in it once).

I stopped going to dog parks - my dog is too dog selective and I'm just too afraid of aggressive dogs. But if I had a small dog I would take it to the small dog park at Pineywood. It's not that far from Cary because it's close to I-40.
Thank you NM for the information and advice, maybe going to dog parks is not such a good idea for mine. Just wanna have him to be unleashed outside once in a while, having good time running around with other dogs.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM

You might want to try out obedience classes. Canine interaction in a more controlled setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary