Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times

Advertisements

So it would be easier to get out?

I'm not sure how this is a Northern or Southern thing but I do this with all my cars since some parking lots can be tight and the potential blind spot can be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Why would the police need to see your license plate? They can't see it if you're parked in the garage either.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are backed in the police cannot see your license plate.

We only back in when snow is expected. Our driveway is basically flat with a hill to deal with when we get out on the street. It is much easier when we get a running go and do not have to stop and spin up the hill.
Ummmm, is that a concern of yours?!!

It isn't a concern to me and once my garage doors close, the cops can't find me anyhow!!!

Vicki

Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,231 times
I took a defensive driving course for work some time back. It was said that over 80% of accidents at work sites involving vehicles occurs when backing up. They also said that it is better to back in when you immediately see where you're going to park so that conditions have little time to change, i.e. people walking through, placing equipment, kids, etc. This makes it so you have better all around visibility when pulling out. You should also walk around all 4 corners of your vehicle when pulling out.

I always pull through parking spots for the same reason, unless I go shopping and need to access the trunk when I return.

There are exceptions for us: when parking in a garage, the left car backs in and the right car pulls in, so that each vehicle can get as close to the wall (on their passenger side) which maximizes use of the space and gives the drivers of each vehicle max room to open doors to get in.

I also get out of my vehicle and tap my left toe twice, tap my right toe three times, and immediately wash my hands vigorously four times.

Oh, and Vicki: closing your garage door doesn't help, because the black helicopters were still following you. And you're forgetting about the chip the dentist planted in your last filling.

Last edited by adams_aj; 01-18-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: added: message to Vicki:

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
The apartment complex I live in now, as well as the one I lived in prior to this does not allow cars backed into parking spaces.

I was told this made it easier for the monitoring of up to date registrations as well a potential "problem cars".

When I was moving in to my last apartment I backed into the space in order to remove items from my trunk and left it that way overnight. I woke up to a "love note" on my windshield, from management, the following morning.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
[quote=adams_aj;27825911]I took a defensive driving course for work some time back. It was said that over 80% of accidents at work sites involving vehicles occurs when backing up. They also said that it is better to back in when you immediately see where you're going to park so that conditions have little time to change, i.e. people walking through, placing equipment, kids, etc. This makes it so you have better all around visibility when pulling out. You should also walk around all 4 corners of your vehicle when pulling out.
quote]

Our Fleet Ops guys must read the same surveys. Ever notice that often utlility trucks will have a traffic cone placed beside the truck? That forces the driver to at least walk around the truck enough to pick up the cone before driving away.

Parking lot visibility is a disaster and backing out of a space is often a crap shoot when pulled head in.
Same applies to many driveway situations.

Frank

Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
It's not a southern thing, because i'm from Michigan and I back into my garage and parking spaces. My wife pulls forward in the garage so we can both get out and park close to the walls. I like backing into spots, because it is easier to pull forward to leave due to blind spots. I see a lot of dumb people backing out of spots and not looking almost causing accidents. I have heard in countries like Japan that almost everyone backs into spots. I find it easier to back into a spot rather than back out of one.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
When I was volunteering out in Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park, I had the use of two federal vehicles, an SUV and a truck and they told me I had to always back into the parking spot when I parked it in the park. I don't think it was a mandatory law for all federal vehicles, but they really made sure everyone kept doing it.

I guess there was a study, like someone mentioned up above, that it's actually safer to park a vehicle by backing into the parking spot and being able to pull right out. When I first heard this, even myself being a scientist, had to think it through, because I just assumed like everyone else, what difference does it really make since either way you have to back in or pull out.

I would say at my apartment complex in Durham, half of the people back in and the others pull into the parking spot (and there's pretty much 20 different state license plates in the lot). I usually back in, but not all of the time.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
My father trained me to back the car in for safety reasons. He insisted this would alleviate running over kids, toys, etc. while backing out and it has. Thanks, Dad!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
The apartment complex I live in now, as well as the one I lived in prior to this does not allow cars backed into parking spaces.

I was told this made it easier for the monitoring of up to date registrations as well a potential "problem cars".

When I was moving in to my last apartment I backed into the space in order to remove items from my trunk and left it that way overnight. I woke up to a "love note" on my windshield, from management, the following morning.

Uh oh. Don't tell Saturnfan!! An apartment complex telling people how to park? That might put him over the edge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary