Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There is a new oil change place on Capital just north of Spring Forest rd called "Take 5". It's in the old Your House restaurant. They advertise for you to sit in the car while getting the oil changed. Might want to check them out.
+rep. Exactly what I was looking for. They carry Mobil 1 and have the filter for my car there. They also have an $8 off coupon on their site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 AM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
+rep. Exactly what I was looking for. They carry Mobil 1 and have the filter for my car there. They also have an $8 off coupon on their site.
Please give it a try and report back how you liked it..... I am also curious what they charge for an oil change. This is the first place I have ever heard of in the Raleigh area that allows you to stay in your car.....I like that.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Sit in your car while they change the oil? Why would anybody want to do that? Maybe so you can ride up on the lift

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

286 posts, read 749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Sit in your car while they change the oil? Why would anybody want to do that? Maybe so you can ride up on the lift
I doubt the sit in car oil change place has a lift, but instead does the work below the car in the bay in the floor like at Jiffy Lube.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy61 View Post
Please give it a try and report back how you liked it..... I am also curious what they charge for an oil change. This is the first place I have ever heard of in the Raleigh area that allows you to stay in your car.....I like that.
I pull up and the manager says "We don't work on no Saabs". I told her I called earlier and the person who answered said they have my filter and oil in stock. After hearing that I wouldn't have gone there anyway. I am going to give performance Saab a call tomorrow and see how much they charge. Personally I would not take my car to that place. I think this is a sign I need to open an oil change shop. If I only had the time.

Quote:
Lol are you being serious? The people work on your car from underneath in "the pit". You drive over an opening in the ground so they can access your car.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Most dealerships have on-line coupons for service to help offset the costs....

Old 04-25-2013, 05:16 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post

Lol are you being serious? The people work on your car from underneath in "the pit". You drive over an opening in the ground so they can access your car.
I always think of lifts not pits when I think of oil changes...like in a good service station. I've had bad luck with those chain pit places. On three occasions the grease monkey down in the pit stripped the thread in the oil pan...just a complete mess up all three times. North Hills Exxon is a great place for oil changes. No problems whatsoever for the last 20 years there.

Even sitting over a pit, why would you want to sit in the car?

Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM

663 posts, read 1,618,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I do it myself, that way I know it gets done right every time. I only use mobil-1 synthetic. I know Saabs and certain other European model cars can be a pain in the rear to change the oil yourself (especially German cars). I thought most places would allow you to bring your own oil and filter if you wanted to, even Jiffy Lube?
I second doing it yourself. Or find a a small shop who'll allow you to take your oil and filter and you see them use your OIL and filter.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM

28 posts, read 91,548 times
Agree on this whole "why would you want to sit in the car" thing...what would you be able to see? The hood is still up so it's not like you can see the engine bay or anything....just another reason, I do my own work on my jeep

Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I always think of lifts not pits when I think of oil changes...like in a good service station. I've had bad luck with those chain pit places. On three occasions the grease monkey down in the pit stripped the thread in the oil pan...just a complete mess up all three times. North Hills Exxon is a great place for oil changes. No problems whatsoever for the last 20 years there.

Even sitting over a pit, why would you want to sit in the car?
So I can sit in my car and watch them working on it. I know what oil, filter, and everything else they do to it like they are supposed to like tire pressure, trans fluid check, washer fluid etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
I second doing it yourself. Or find a a small shop who'll allow you to take your oil and filter and you see them use your OIL and filter.
Personally I am not a fan of crawling under a car without a lift. I will do my own brakes if I have time, but the thought of going under the car with jack stands or ramps makes me nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-495 View Post
Agree on this whole "why would you want to sit in the car" thing...what would you be able to see? The hood is still up so it's not like you can see the engine bay or anything....just another reason, I do my own work on my jeep
There is a large enough gap between the hood and the windshield that I can see everything that happens. I see what oil they are using, and how much goes in. I watch them check all my fluids and do everything they are supposed to. If I had a jeep I would change my own oil too. You probably don't need to jack it up to do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary