Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times

Advertisements

Better to be safe than sorry?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I am sure wcpss is going to have a delay tomorrow - it's going to get very cold overnight (teens) and it will still be wet when the temp drops.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:06 PM

430 posts, read 626,774 times
I think they're wise to delay opening tomorrow given the forecast. My daughter is really annoyed that they cancelled her school club meeting which would have been finished at 3:30 this afternoon. That's just goofy. We're hitching up the sled dogs so she can go sell girl scout cookies instead. ;-)

Old 01-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
I think they're wise to delay opening tomorrow given the forecast. My daughter is really annoyed that they cancelled her school club meeting which would have been finished at 3:30 this afternoon. That's just goofy. We're hitching up the sled dogs so she can go sell girl scout cookies instead. ;-)
I agree, but you can't pick and choose which activities to cancel, it would be too difficult to get the word out. They can't say "well we are cancelling athletic events that require travel but your child's chess club at school will go on as scheduled". People have enough trouble following directions. I know for a fact that people drop their kids off on teacher workdays, not even noticing there is NO ONE ELSE AT CARPOOL.

Your DD might be home by 3:30 but kids on athletic teams, as well their parents going to watch them, might not be home till much later. Keep in mind the idea is to get everyone off the road BEFORE the storm hits.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
I suspect WCPSS will cancel tomorrow. The secondary roads won't thaw out much at all.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:48 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Plus, this is a Tuesday, so that means high school basketball, unless they have changed things in the last few years. Those events won't be over until well into the time it is supposed to be snowing.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:27 PM

430 posts, read 626,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree, but you can't pick and choose which activities to cancel, it would be too difficult to get the word out.
Sure they can. Since it's supposed to drop below freezing at 9:30 PM just say all activities before 7:30 PM can go on as normal, any after 7:30 are cancelled. Easy. That even gives them two full hours of leeway if the cold moves in a little early.

Someone at my office just got a call at 2:30 that her son (and lots of other kids) were standing around outside their school because their after school activity was cancelled and they were just getting around to calling the parents and letting them know. The entire office knew what was going on because she was shouting at the poor lady on the phone.

There's "better be safe than sorry" and then there's let's abandon a bunch of kids in front of the school without any warning because their after school activity is only supposed to end 4 hours before the "storm." That's a special type of, well, not very smart. Really, really, not very smart.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:39 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
T - 6hrs: People nervously start monitoring weather .com
T - 4hrs: hallways fill with people discussing impending weather
T- 3hrs: cars start running off road. In dry, sunny weather.
T- 2hrs: people start leaving work
T- 1Hr : Still clear, Traffic jam, cars knocking down telephone poles now.
T -0 Hr: SUV drivers realize that 4-wheel drive can get them going but then they find out too late that it's the stopping that they can't control.
T+1 hr: Realize that we just got some rain and a few snow flurries that didn't stick and there was no need to panic after all.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Sure they can. Since it's supposed to drop below freezing at 9:30 PM just say all activities before 7:30 PM can go on as normal, any after 7:30 are cancelled. Easy. That even gives them two full hours of leeway if the cold moves in a little early.

Someone at my office just got a call at 2:30 that her son (and lots of other kids) were standing around outside their school because their after school activity was cancelled and they were just getting around to calling the parents and letting them know. The entire office knew what was going on because she was shouting at the poor lady on the phone.

There's "better be safe than sorry" and then there's let's abandon a bunch of kids in front of the school without any warning because their after school activity is only supposed to end 4 hours before the "storm." That's a special type of, well, not very smart. Really, really, not very smart.
You have way more faith in the forecasters here than the school system does as far as "start times" of precipitation.

It is unfortunate when parents use after school activities as babysitting. I heard well before noon that after school activities were cancelled - while it's annoying, when there is "weather" here, people with school age kids need to stay on top of the news. Last year we were having a 3 hour early closing, announced the night before, and then the day of, they announced with 15 MINUTES LEAD TIME FOR OUR SCHOOL that they were actually going to close 4 hours early. Half the buses didn't even make it back to the school in time. Lesson learned - you gotta stay on top of WCPSS if a flake is in the forecast.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
I get frustrated when people say we over-react to bad weather down here. I grew up in Chicago, left in 1990. First bad storm here was early 1990s, we had 6" of ice on roads in and around my North Raleigh neighborhood. No one was able to drive, didn't matter what car or truck you had. There was zero road treatment done,except for I40 and the beltline.
Driving on sheets of ice with hilly roads didn't work, no matter where you grew up driving. I learned then why it was a good idea to have an extra pack of diapers and some extra groceries, maybe even some batteries and flashlights. Our power went out during that ice storm for 2days. I was stuck home for 6 days with 3 kids under 6yo.

So, do we Southerners sometimes over react when we think winter weather is coming? We sure do. Sometimes the storm is a miss and sometimes we get hit with snow and/or ice. Live thru one ice storm where you are stuck at home 6+ days without diapers and bread for a peanut butter Sammy and no power to make your kids an egg or soup and you will stop laughing at those who buy a few extra groceries.

Just my thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary