Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
But the climate, while the initial subject of the thread, was not what you commented about. You asked a general question about why people stay here if they are not happy. There are many reasons why people stay here, even if they don't like a number of things about the region, the weather probably being one of the least important factors for most people. I doubt there are many people who love everything about this region but hate the weather and are clamoring to leave because of it.

I actually like the climate - better than where I came from anyway - it's one of the few things I like here better than where I lived before, but it doesn't make up for all that I don't like about the area.

ETA: Okay, now I know why I couldn't quote what you said, Mike. It looks like you deleted your comment. In which case, this comment in response, makes no sense
Yeah, I wasn't enraptured by my response to you, despite three or four attempts, but actually
I think I was responding to junior-league trolling, more than in general, but definitely did not lose sight of the climactic roots of the thread.

Why would someone live in an area that they describe publicly as this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
A great part of the charm of the Triangle is that it disappoints continuously, in every way imaginable.
There are jobs in other areas that one may find more uplifting.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:31 PM

61 posts, read 122,866 times
I believe that NC still has the "southern weather". "Back up North" would an (once in 2-3 years) occurrence of 6 inch snowfall have the governor declare the state of emergency, cause the local TV to cut to special coverage, and make the weather the most discussed topic on a local issues discussion board?

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,591,000 times
Moved to North Carolina for the climate among other reasons. After 30 years here, the milder winters (compared to New York) are still appreciated. No more snow shovels, no more snow tires.

Every time I visit New York I ask myself the same rhetorical questions:
1) Was it always so dirty?
(Yes, and I have become accustomed to the cleanliness of North Carolina.)
2) Were the people always so rude?
(Yes, and I have become accustomed to the gentility of North Carolina.)

If I could live life over, I would move to North Carolina sooner!

Old 02-12-2014, 08:42 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yeah, I wasn't enraptured by my response to you, despite three or four attempts, but actually
I think I was responding to junior-league trolling, more than in general, but definitely did not lose sight of the climactic roots of the thread.

Why would someone live in an area that they describe publicly as this:

There are jobs in other areas that one may find more uplifting.
That I cannot answer. I'm not familiar with ContainedinCary or why s/he is unhappy here. I just know, in general, moving out of an area is not always as easy as one might think, especially in today's economic climate and if one has a family to support. For us, one of the reasons we moved here was because my husband had stability and some seniority at his job, so we moved when he was offered a transfer. I admit I don't like it here all that much, even after two years, but we stay because starting over with a new job, if he were to find one and being the low man on the totem pole is a bit scary. Plus my husband's elderly mother lives here, too. And my husband never heard the saying "happy wife, happy life" apparently.

I'm sure there are other people caught in similar types of scenarios that makes them live in a place they don't particularly care for. I know tons of people hate living in the DC area but they stay there for the jobs and the good schools and put up with the negatives.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
I feel fortunate to live here. I was pleasantly surprised when I moved here decades ago to experience the wonderful fall and spring weather here. I love the hot sun, don't like hi humidity, but would rather have it than be in a place where the sun doesn't shine as much (hmm, England)

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,873,429 times
PS and I enjoy a good snow storm every now and again

Old 02-12-2014, 09:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
I remember thinking that when I moved there.Turns out between 2008-2012 the winters were as cold if not colder than in NY.We broke every record in the book.All I kept hearing was how this is so unusual..blah blah.
I'm sorry, but where in New York are you referring too? I moved from Long Island in 2007 and without a doubt our Winters here in North Carolina have been way more milder. Have there been a fair number of cold spells and Winter storms? Yes. Was it nearly as bad as what our friends/family back in the NY/NJ/CT/MA region? Nope.

I'll happily stay here where we get all four seasons, some snow, beautiful Fall foliage and can wear shorts for nine months a year.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Colder than NY? More snow? That's a bit of a stretch. I remember the last winter before we moved here 2009-2010, it was the cherry on the sundae of reasons to move. As someone said if it were worse here than up north, this little 3 inch snowfall would not be newsworthy, you wouldn't see people unable to drive in it and so on.

One of the reasons we moved here was 4 distinct seasons, including the occasional snow.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 PM

43,301 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
That I cannot answer. I'm not familiar with ContainedinCary or why s/he is unhappy here. I just know, in general, moving out of an area is not always as easy as one might think, especially in today's economic climate and if one has a family to support. For us, one of the reasons we moved here was because my husband had stability and some seniority at his job, so we moved when he was offered a transfer. I admit I don't like it here all that much, even after two years, but we stay because starting over with a new job, if he were to find one and being the low man on the totem pole is a bit scary. Plus my husband's elderly mother lives here, too. And my husband never heard the saying "happy wife, happy life" apparently.

I'm sure there are other people caught in similar types of scenarios that makes them live in a place they don't particularly care for. I know tons of people hate living in the DC area but they stay there for the jobs and the good schools and put up with the negatives.
No place is perfect.
And as much as I prefer the Triangle climate to the PA climate, anywhere I ever lived in PA The deal we made when we moved here was that if my wife wants to return to PA, we will do that. The deal is still in force. The only questions will be planning questions. And I will bust my fanny as hard as needed to "be happy."
I would not choose to be unhappy and put that burden on her. And I will overcome the weather to be happy.
And I am not worried about having to honor that deal. I think the odds get longer each year against having to do so, but I am comfortable with the commitment. There will be something to learn in the next place I live, whether it is across Cary or across the country.
My values are the people I am able to be around. Things that enhance are reading material. Music. Arts. Nature. High speed intenet. Pizza delivery, not for the pizza, but as an indicator of proximity to civilization.

I think happiness is found in the art of compromise, forging ahead with lust for the potentials of life, and the ability to make chicken salad out of what you first see as chicken poop.
I never heard anyone say they found joy in dwelling on the negatives they can find.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM

683 posts, read 1,885,289 times
I moved here expecting a shorter and milder winter season than what I experieneced in Maryland and got exactly what I expected. Anyone who moves here thinking they have forever escaped the snow didn't do enough research before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary