Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:59 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,170,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdolls4me View Post
I hate it--this is my store for grocery shopping! The Harris Teeter that went in across the intersection a few years probably led to a slow death for Lowe's.
Good explanation.

My son was a front end lead at Lowe's after Hannaford pulled out.

Lowe's simply bit off more than they could chew with the expansion.

The company is very poorly managed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,657 times
I have a client who works in Harris Teeter's corporate division. She told me that they would rather saturate a geographic area and have a couple of stores that underperform than give up the real estate to a competitor.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I have a client who works in Harris Teeter's corporate division. She told me that they would rather saturate a geographic area and have a couple of stores that underperform than give up the real estate to a competitor.
Sure.
Just like Lowes Home Centers, Home Depot, Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, and other big boxes.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 AM

475 posts, read 900,822 times
It is likely do to a future Publix store . It won't be on the news every time a new one is proposed . You will be surprised how many go up in the area. Think of them as the McDonald's of supermarkets with way better food and great customer service!

Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I have a Lowes near me in Brier Creek. I'm happy with them. At least they don't have a lot of expired food on the shelves like Earthfare does. I was surprised when they closed their location on Capital Boulevard & Millbrook, by the Steak and Shake. It looks like the only other store in the area is Food Lion. I would be really unhappy if I lived over there and that was my only grocery store.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Good explanation.

Hannaford Brothers is a great chain. It is bad it was not in North Carolina long enough nearly 20 years ago. If Food Lion implemented Hannaford's practicess when Delhaize acquired them, it would be on par with Harris Teeter and Publix. Most stores would have pharmacies, stores would be better staffed, and quality, value and service would be constant throughout each store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
It is likely do to a future Publix store . It won't be on the news every time a new one is proposed . You will be surprised how many go up in the area. Think of them as the McDonald's of supermarkets with way better food and great customer service!
It will be interesting to see how quickly Publix opens new stores in North Carolina. I can clearly see more than 150 new stores opening over 10 years in the state alone.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It will be interesting to see how quickly Publix opens new stores in North Carolina. I can clearly see more than 150 new stores opening over 10 years in the state alone.
I think you're correct. I grew up in Lakeland, FL, headquarters to Publix, so the store and its culture is in my blood. I had occasion to visit the Publix in Matthews on Wednesday and spoke to the store manager, who relocated from West Palm Beach and has been with the company for 33 years. Plans for growth in NC are very aggressive. VERY excited to hear this, as it really is the one piece of Florida (aside from my family, in case my mom is reading this, LOL) that I miss desperately.

Opening its 2nd store in Matthews -- the corporate headquarters to Harris Teeter -- sends a very distinct message. Publix is going to take this state by storm. I think many will be pleasantly surprised; the customer-service culture is very different than what you're used to (a refreshing change!).

Cannot WAIT for my Cary store to open!!!!

Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 AM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Good explanation.

I am curious if you have other examples of how poorly run Lowe's is???

I was really disappointed that they closed the pharmacy in Brier Creek, supposedly because not all stores had one and they wanted to be consistent. I really liked the pharmacy people there. This was before Walgreens came in.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have a Lowes near me in Brier Creek. I'm happy with them. At least they don't have a lot of expired food on the shelves like Earthfare does. I was surprised when they closed their location on Capital Boulevard & Millbrook, by the Steak and Shake. It looks like the only other store in the area is Food Lion. I would be really unhappy if I lived over there and that was my only grocery store.
My son worked there.

Crime was so bad armed security was need daily.

A real lousy store. Target closed there too. Mini-City is a bad location.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I am curious if you have other examples of how poorly run Lowe's is???

I was really disappointed that they closed the pharmacy in Brier Creek, supposedly because not all stores had one and they wanted to be consistent. I really liked the pharmacy people there. This was before Walgreens came in.
Well, one day years ago a fool from Lowe's corporate loss prevention came to that store and started interviewing everyone one at a time.

Each was accused of theft with no proof to see if anyone would confess.

My son was honest and knew they had no info even when the LP officer indicated he had video.

My son then asked to see the video. The fool then said he had none and asked my son if he knew anyone who was stealing.

Just one example of this company's inability to run a store.

Guess what that did for morale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary