Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:25 AM

580 posts, read 712,553 times

Advertisements

My other concern is- my children are extremely careful with their devices. I'm afraid they will worry about them at school. They know how much they cost.
When they are not using them at school, does the device stay in their backpack?

Any other recommendations besides an Otterbox case? I'm afraid for it to go to school with the flip Apple case.
Not much protection.

We also have AppleCare on all our devices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
My other concern is- my children are extremely careful with their devices. I'm afraid they will worry about them at school. They know how much they cost.
When they are not using them at school, does the device stay in their backpack?

Any other recommendations besides an Otterbox case? I'm afraid for it to go to school with the flip Apple case.
Not much protection.

We also have AppleCare on all our devices.
Have you checked with the teacher regarding security of devices when the kids are out of the classroom? I'd want to know if the devices are in danger of theft. I'm sure your kids would feel better if they knew their devices were secure in the classroom when not in use.

My kids didn't start taking these devices to school until middle school where there were locks and lockers. I'd be leery about unlocked big ticket items.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
I don't really see a problem with it. My 8 yr old child has a tablet at home she uses. They already are using school owned devices in class. As far as cost goes, not every tablet is expensive. It doesn't have to be a Apple iPad or tablet. My daughter's last one was ordered off Amazon for less then $40. Amazon and eBay have lots of refurbished tablets for cheap. Would I send a $100+ tablet with a 3rd grader? No . Wal-Mart had a decent one on sale for $59 last week.

With the lack of physical textbooks and reading materials in most schools a tablet is a god send IMO . Schools pay for the online programs and educational sites which are utilized. My 2nd grader has assignments frequently off an online education site that features literature based on grade level. Just think how much cheaper supplylng each child a tablet would be then providing textbooks,worksheets etc that have to be updated.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I don't really see a problem with it. My 8 yr old child has a tablet at home she uses. They already are using school owned devices in class. As far as cost goes, not every tablet is expensive. It doesn't have to be a Apple iPad or tablet. My daughter's last one was ordered off Amazon for less then $40. Amazon and eBay have lots of refurbished tablets for cheap. Would I send a $100+ tablet with a 3rd grader? No . Wal-Mart had a decent one on sale for $59 last week.

With the lack of physical textbooks and reading materials in most schools a tablet is a god send IMO . Schools pay for the online programs and educational sites which are utilized. My 2nd grader has assignments frequently off an online education site that features literature based on grade level. Just think how much cheaper supplylng each child a tablet would be then providing textbooks,worksheets etc that have to be updated.
It is where they are headed in the "real world," and coming at them at breakneck speed.
Might as well get started.

And Cyn is dead on. Cheap tablets are all around us. New, used, refurbed.

LOL...
I was about to post:
"I have a Motorola XOOM that is very usable and worth about $40 tops."
And I checked on EBay and Craigslist, and it is probably in the $120--$150 range. Sheesh. All we use it, I should sell it.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:54 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
Actually it's very different from a calculator -- in price! Even when pocket calculators first emerged and they were new technology, the cost, even adjusted for inflation, is not even close.

Plus back then, they wouldn't allow calculators in school because it resulted in stupid kids that could never learn to do math on paper, never really had a chance to learn the concepts to understand the logic behind the math because the machine did the hard part for them.

And now they want them to "learn" on iPads? Scary.

My question is that if the school (ahem I mean taxpayers) must supply one of these inordinately expensive devices to each child, then what is the motivation of the parent to risk buying an expensive device, only to have it broken or stolen? Why not just let the school assume that risk from the get go?

Not that I am in favor of that, I'm just wondering why a parent would bother at all.
I can obtain a reasonable Android-based tablet for under $100, how much do textbooks cost? We've put up with insanely expensive textbooks for generations but struggle with commoditized technology that greatly enhances the educational experience?

I look forward to the day when all textbooks are digitized and we can decouple the value of the content from the (alleged) cost to produce and distribute it. Introducing tablets into the classroom is a very good first step towards getting there.

Last edited by NYC2RDU; 04-20-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 AM

Does anyone have the list of schools participating? The articles say 13 and mention Brier Creek but googling hasn't worked in finding the complete list. My child attends a STEM magnet so I'm hoping it will be one.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I can obtain a reasonable Android-based tablet for under $100, how much do textbooks cost? We've put up with insanely expensive textbooks for generations but struggle with commoditized technology that greatly enhances the educational experience?

I look forward to the day when all textbooks are digitized and we can decouple the value of the content from the (alleged) cost to produce and distribute it. Introducing tablets into the classroom is a very good first steps towards getting there.
Around Christmas I ordered one for $25 that was new online. It wasn't the best device but it was suitable for anything a grade schooler would need it for. Some people really don't think there is any option but Apple. #teamAndroid. Lol

Old 04-20-2015, 06:50 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Around Christmas I ordered one for $25 that was new online. It wasn't the best device but it was suitable for anything a grade schooler would need it for. Some people really don't think there is any option but Apple. #teamAndroid. Lol
We just bought a pretty cheap Asus one that runs Windows. My husband is thinking about wiring some into our home automation system.

We don't use Android stuff over here.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:16 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sezzam View Post
Devices in 3rd grade (BYOD or otherwise)?

Perhaps it is inevitable.
I must be getting old. We made ours wait until they were 15 before getting a cell phone.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 AM

304 posts, read 370,049 times
Quote:
I can obtain a reasonable Android-based tablet for under $100, how much do textbooks cost?
Books at the third grade level aren't very expensive, and often aren't even required for learning (reading lessons can be handed out on a few pages at a time by an instructor, they aren't reading hundreds of pages at a time).

Best of all, textbooks do not shatter when dropped, do not consume electricity, and can be handed to the next student the next year in most cases, unlike tech devices which are often quickly rendered obsolete in a relatively short period of time.

Quote:
We've put up with insanely expensive textbooks for generations but struggle with commoditized technology that greatly enhances the educational experience?

I look forward to the day when all textbooks are digitized and we can decouple the value of the content from the (alleged) cost to produce and distribute it. Introducing tablets into the classroom is a very good first step towards getting there.
I agree the whole college textbooks thing is a racket, as has become higher education itself for the most part, but I don't think that's the age level that was originally being discussed here.

Last edited by pdocstr; 04-20-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary