Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:24 PM

304 posts, read 370,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
They definitely don't photocopy reading materials in my kid's classes. They do print out math worksheets, but not reading.

A tablet or laptop is so much more versatile than a single book, though. It's like having a library right there in each kid's hands, y'know?
Not really. A library is filled with lots of shared, free resources that would need to be purchased as electronic content on a per-user basis.

Sure there is the Internet, Wikipedia, Google etc. as information sources, but those are all available using inexpensive stationary computers (which could be in the classroom, or the library) that could be someone's yesteryear donated discards instead of an expensive tablet. And, unlike tablets they do not run the risk of getting in the way of learning, because of their physical placement. When a computer is in a designated area, kids can be allowed to use them at designated research times. When a teacher is lecturing, the kids should be giving the teacher their attention and not fiddling with electronic devices, developing their listening skills.

Quote:
Google has a great educational suite. My kids do research, share docs with classmates and their teachers. I was volunteering in the library today when the 2nd graders came in to do research on their bug unit. They use some reference books, but mostly it's all done on laptops and iPads with the google doc shared with their teacher, just like you might do at work.
I'm not denying the value of online educational resources, I just think iPads and laptops make more sense after a certain age. There is plenty of time for kids to start to do things the way they will in the workforce later, maybe high school age. At that time they can have a part-time job and buy these devices themselves, they way they will in the real-world, instead of being taught that someone else will always provide high-tech "necessities" (that aren't really necessities at all) that ultimately provide distractions.

When I was in the third grade, I'm not aware of a single peer, neighbor, friend of the family, or even hearing in the news about any kid that needed medications in order to remain focused and on task at school. Yet these days, it seems like a good percentage of these kids are medicated zombies with "special learning needs" that have been diagnosed with this or that. Seems like everyone of these special needs kids I've seen recently has their nose buried in a phone or tablet. Wonder if there's a connection there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:32 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
When I was in the third grade, I'm not aware of a single peer, neighbor, friend of the family, or even hearing in the news about any kid that needed medications in order to remain focused and on task at school. ?
And yet we all remember the class clown, the kid who couldn't sit still and was failing, the kid who was always throwing things at people at recess and always in the principal's office, the kid who couldn't read in 4th grade, the kid who flapped his hands when he got upset and the kid who didn't go to school at all because he was "retarded". Yep, those were the good ole days.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:23 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
pdocstr, you keep mentioning when you were in third grade. I'm guessing that was quite a few years ago? Do you have any more recent experience with third grade as a teacher or parent or volunteer? Things have changed quite a bit. My youngest is in 5th grade this year and as I mentioned I do volunteer in the school.

Unless each classroom has iPads or computers for each student you will see kids not being able to access the computers because another class has them. I saw that happen just yesterday. I would have no problem if the school provided 1:1 laptops or tablets for my kids, but I do think the school should provide them and not require the parents to. If the school technology officer maintains them then you can set some restrictions on what software and apps are on them. I don't hear about breakage at my kids' school other than the kind of crashes you might have at home. I've never seen an iPad with a busted screen at school, fwiw. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I've never seen it.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-22-2015 at 05:33 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 05:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
Quote:
pdocstr, you keep mentioning when you were in third grade. I'm guessing that was quite a few years ago? Do you have any more recent experience with third grade as a teacher or parent or volunteer? Things have changed quite a bit. My youngest is in 5th grade this year and as I mentioned I do volunteer in the school.

I agree with poppydog here. You know it seems that people want things both ways. They do not want to pay more for schools but we should be excelling with no resources. You are paying a minimum now and the state has cut textbook spending to a measly $15 per child/year NC education spending on decades-long slide :: WRAL.com. Yes, in WCPSS kids use photocopies for reading and math in 3rd grade! Now if you do not want a massive increase in your taxes to provide a computer per child then it is time to allow for BYOD. It does not need to be a new or expensive device to get the job done. Truthfully, I would think a stripped down device would offer less distractions but this will at the parents discretion.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:42 AM

425 posts, read 463,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Yes, in WCPSS kids use photocopies for reading and math in 3rd grade!
My son is in 2nd in WCPSS and its our first foray into public school. We got relocated to this area last summer, previously he's been in private schools (and will be going back into one next year). I definitely wasn't prepared for the utter lack of textbooks in the classroom. My wife is the class "copy Mom", which apparently is a big help to the teacher, as she goes in on Monday's, and makes that week's copies for the teacher, so the teacher can focus on higher value activities (like teaching). I had no idea that a "copy Mom" was an actual need.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 AM

Wake74, I don't think that is a universal need. Maybe just your school/classroom?

I wish someone with kids in Orange County Schools or Chatham County Schools would chime in and tell us how the 1:1 laptop programs are working for them. Frankly, BYOD seems kinda cheapskate-ish. I am happy to pay higher Orange County and Chapel Hill taxes to support our schools.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:50 AM

NYCANC, if you're still reading this thread, there are knock-off life proof cases out there that you might investigate. I have one for my iPhone. It cost under $4 on Amazon.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake74 View Post
My son is in 2nd in WCPSS and its our first foray into public school. We got relocated to this area last summer, previously he's been in private schools (and will be going back into one next year). I definitely wasn't prepared for the utter lack of textbooks in the classroom. My wife is the class "copy Mom", which apparently is a big help to the teacher, as she goes in on Monday's, and makes that week's copies for the teacher, so the teacher can focus on higher value activities (like teaching). I had no idea that a "copy Mom" was an actual need.
It's probably something Teacher's Aides used to do, before so many of them were laid off.

I went through student teaching "back in the day", and there was a school employee who did all the photocopying--for tests, teachers would lock them in a lockbox and she would copy them. I guess these jobs are gone now, too, if they have volunteers to do it.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM

580 posts, read 712,553 times
Quote:
NYCANC, if you're still reading this thread, there are knock-off life proof cases out there that you might investigate. I have one for my iPhone. It cost under $4 on Amazon.
Thanks! I went to Target yesterday and picked up an Otterbox but I can always return it.
Tomorrow is the meeting for BYOD. I will have to make my decision after the meeting since the school is rolling the pilot out to our class next week.

Yesterday in carpool, I saw a 4th/5th grader carrying a laptop case!

I think I mentioned before that our school has 4 iPads and 4 laptops per classroom.
Also our school has a subscription to Big Universe (reading), Study Island, Front Row math that the kids are using now on these devices.

We do not use textbooks. My 3rd grader does have one book for vocabulary that I know we use weekly. Everything else is either online or copied.
My 3rd graders teacher also has blogs online so we can access most homework (math and ELA) online and submit homework that way so no need for printouts. She uses my Mac for that.

We will see what tomorrow brings!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM

476 posts, read 1,297,333 times
Does anyone know why there is no funding for technology (eg tablets) in WCPSS classrooms? Is it budgeting or policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary