Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I have not encountered anyone in my nearly 30 decades here who is still pining for Civil War.
Nor, coincidentally, was alive at the time of the Civil War to wax nostalgic about the 'good ole days.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:13 AM

204 posts, read 384,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Nor, coincidentally, was alive at the time of the Civil War to wax nostalgic about the 'good ole days.'
Ha! If you look at my typo, I have clearly been here for 300 years!

Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
I have not encountered anyone in my nearly 30 decades here who is still pining for Civil War.
Woah, you really have lived here a long time. That would be 1715 or so when you moved to the area?

Just couldn't let that one pass. I don't know anyone who is still pining for the Civil War, either, and as a native North Carolinian, I too, have plenty of friends who have moved here from all over — California, Ohio, England, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Massachusetts, and yes New York among many other places.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The reason for the disappointment in the Triangle is simply that it's so heavily marketed. People from metropolitan areas with a more worldly perspective are probably very disappointed whether they admit it or not.
I think it depends on how much you get to take advantage of the big city. If you're childless, then you get to take advantage of so much of it. If you have 2.3 kids, soccer practice, and summer camp, it might just mean a longer commute and a higher COL. Hence all the comments about this being great to raise a family.

I do miss being in a more vibrant city, but that doesn't mean I'm disappointed. The triangle has its good with the bad; I have a hunting lease an hour outside of Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
They act like its Southern CA or something. Nowhere is mentioned the single digit temperatures in the winter and the fact that the stifling humidity makes a dip in the pool less relieving. Not to mention the enormous horseflies that tend to congregate there..
Eh...This areas has about as mild a winter as you can have and still have four defined seasons. You might have to shovel an inch of snow three times a year in a bad winter. I didn't see a one single digit low for past December, January and February. The angle of the sun is higher, and the days are longer, so you avoid some of the seasonal depression you have up north. The heat is stifling, but on the whole, it seems most people prefer ten days of 95+ highs to ten days of below zero lows, and a pleasant April as opposed to shoveling snow.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:52 AM

547 posts, read 775,091 times
Didn't want to read through 10+ pages. If people are disappointed then move! Less people to come here.

I've been here for only 4 months and we are loving it. Now, I don't want it to get overpopulated! Lol

Hopefully this thread makes the rounds and less people will want to move here lol

Old 06-24-2015, 11:18 AM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp38393 View Post
Ha! If you look at my typo, I have clearly been here for 300 years!
So you're the one running around saying, "The south will rise again; ask me how I know!" Mystery solved.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:14 PM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
I'm a solo near-retiree planning a move from northern NJ to the Durham area, and I can't WAIT to get there. I don't do much in NYC, it's expensive and noisy, and since I don't do city driving, it's a major hassle to get there. So I'm out in the 'burbs of NJ where there's very little cultural life, since most of the cultural life is in NYC. The Triangle has live music, street fairs, farmers markets, music venues, and a strong activist community. That's what I'm looking forward to. So it's all a question of what you like.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 PM

5,155 posts, read 3,762,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Typically it's only like this for a couple days at a time, not too frequently, and any time between June and early September. That said, this year seems to be off to a bad start. Greg Fischel said yesterday was the 13th day in a row. We get two cool days (this weekend, and it likely will jack back up for Independence Day Weekend.

I suspect over time, this will become more and more common. Trends are (for whatever reason) hotter and hotter summers. There are exceptions, but for the most part, we are in a trend of them getting worse, not better. (Houston, now THAT is brutal.)
It's actually getter cooler not warmer despite what you hear from the global warming camp.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:47 PM

248 posts, read 494,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
It's actually getter cooler not warmer despite what you hear from the global warming camp.
In what country? It's certainly not getting cooler in the USA.

Check your facts here:

Climate at a Glance | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

Old 06-24-2015, 02:48 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I'm a solo near-retiree planning a move from northern NJ to the Durham area, and I can't WAIT to get there. I don't do much in NYC, it's expensive and noisy, and since I don't do city driving, it's a major hassle to get there. So I'm out in the 'burbs of NJ where there's very little cultural life, since most of the cultural life is in NYC. The Triangle has live music, street fairs, farmers markets, music venues, and a strong activist community. That's what I'm looking forward to. So it's all a question of what you like.
I'm not trying to be Debbie downer. It's true Durham does have those things but they aren't in the concentration that media presents. They are here just more spaced out and mixed into typical suburban culture then being the prominent vibe of the city. Think small pockets, not the overall picture. This is why everyone including myself think people should visit before moving. As much as I enjoy this area being portrayed positively in the media. The real day to day is not as hip or cool as what they would lead you to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary