Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 03:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,240,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Why not?
Publix is a very ordinary grocery store.

After shopping for many years at Wegmans, which has a huge buffet/hot foods section, it always cracked me up going to Publix and pretty much only having the option of fried chicken and mac & cheese. Their options have expanded a bit in terms of prepared foods, but not much.

Question for people who live in The Triangle area: what are the main grocery chains there?

Here in Atlanta, it's Publix and Kroger. I don't think Wegmans would ever try opening here because those stores are so firmly entrenched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:34 PM

85 posts, read 94,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleguy47 View Post
Many in this forum have waited for these news forever. Congrats to all the upstate New Yorkers that have been begging to have a Wegmans forever.

I am not going to lie- the minute I heard the news I had to come to City-Data to see the reaction to the news ha, ha, ha
Ditto!

Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeval View Post
Ditto!
Same here. I love it when people are excited. It's a good thing!

I'm sure they got sick of getting letters begging for one, so there's that. But, hey... it got the job done.

Never let it be said that our residents are not persistent.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:37 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,687,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Oh my. Now that you have posted this, I am wondering if I was in that very same Wegman's the same time you were. The time frame would have been right. I was only in one once and I do believe it was in Rochester. The late 80s are a blur to me in parts. Especially the travel parts. LOL.

Small world, if so.

Could be! At the time I was a skinny white dude with a Cameo hairstyle (dude who sang sang 'word up')

The Wegmans I referred to was near RIT and U of R.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:45 PM

353 posts, read 460,018 times
I stayed at the Courtyard Mariott in Columbia, MD back in October. There was a Wegman's just up the street. I had never been into a Wegman's before, but I made multiple trips back there during my two-day stay. It was very nice, two floors with lots of fresh food and buffets. I hope ours is like that one, because that store blows away the Publix in Cary and pretty much every other grocery store in the area. It's not even close.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:47 PM

379 posts, read 751,082 times
Yawn.

I must be the only one the has Amazon send me everything now. You can get dish soap delivered overnight, you know?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:49 PM

4,480 posts, read 11,639,701 times
Wegman's is certainly more interesting than Publix, but I doubt I'll change my current shopping pattern once it opens (90% Trader Joe's, 10% Whole Foods/Fresh Market/etc).

Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM

610 posts, read 748,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleguy47 View Post
Many in this forum have waited for these news forever. Congrats to all the upstate New Yorkers that have been begging to have a Wegmans forever.

I am not going to lie- the minute I heard the news I had to come to City-Data to see the reaction to the news ha, ha, ha
Ha ha, me too! I heard it on WRAL and pulled up this webpage right away!

Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,460,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
Publix is a very ordinary grocery store.

After shopping for many years at Wegmans, which has a huge buffet/hot foods section, it always cracked me up going to Publix and pretty much only having the option of fried chicken and mac & cheese. Their options have expanded a bit in terms of prepared foods, but not much.

Question for people who live in The Triangle area: what are the main grocery chains there?

Here in Atlanta, it's Publix and Kroger. I don't think Wegmans would ever try opening here because those stores are so firmly entrenched.
I only shop at Publix and Harris Teeter here in Raleigh. I only shop for myself, so I don't spend a lot of time at a grocery store. I do understand why people are excited though.

I drive to DC multiple times a month for one reason only: to eat at Shake Shack. If you told me Shake Shack was coming to Raleigh, I'd be overwhelmed right now. So I'm excited for you guys, even if a Wegmans wouldn't appeal to me.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:06 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,240,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I only shop at Publix and Harris Teeter here in Raleigh. I only shop for myself, so I don't spend a lot of time at a grocery store. I do understand why people are excited though.

I drive to DC multiple times a month for one reason only: to eat at Shake Shack. If you told me Shake Shack was coming to Raleigh, I'd be overwhelmed right now. So I'm excited for you guys, even if a Wegmans wouldn't appeal to me.
You should check out Wegmans when it opens there (the location of this planned Wegmans is pretty close to Raleigh, right?). I think you'd become a fan of the store.

I need to try Shake Shack. One opened here last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary