Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:33 AM

29 posts, read 145,314 times

Advertisements

I have seen so many posts that discuss WHY to move to Raleigh. Can anyone kindly give me some reasons why not to move to Raleigh.

We live in Milwaukee, WI and are seriously considering relocating to the this neck of the woods.

Everything I have heard and read says "do it."

Please share with me some reasons why NOT to move to Raleigh. What did you discover after you moved that you wish you had known before.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,938,373 times
Infrastructure - That is my main thing. The belt line is a joke and will only get worse.

Tax/money Use - We first moved here in 2005 and heard of the gas tax hike, the education lottery and the jump in sales tax (there was a jump right?). Still waiting to see how that money was appropriated if it ever was....see Belt line is STILL a joke.

Schools - A few are great (as compared to NC schools), some are good but too many are still below average. Not enough choice to go around and sometimes even if you move down the street from the school you WANT to go to...it's not a guarantee you will have a child going there (Wake county that is).

Old 12-03-2007, 08:54 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
I wouldn't move here if you can't stand host humid weather. While the weather in the winter is great, it's not exactly comfortable in the summer.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
Snakes....

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Well, we are thinking of leaving the triangle area.

Here what I won't miss:

Sprawl and poor development planning
Reduction in rural spaces and rural lifestyles
I-40 between Durham and Raleigh (it's nothing like California or northeastern traffic, but I find it annoying and uptight)
Raleigh
Attitudes of some "new southerners" (who seem disinterested in the region other than to push people over on the road and in daily life in order to get to mcmansion suburbs + their related shopping malls)
Weeks of 95+ degree weather

There are many things I will miss, of course, too.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Infrastructure - That is my main thing. The belt line is a joke and will only get worse.
It's still better than most cities the size of Raleigh. The beltline is a dream compared to what I've seen in other cities even smaller than Raleigh. And the outer loop simply would not have been built in many other states. It took 40 years to build the blue route in Philadelphia.

Quote:
Tax/money Use - We first moved here in 2005 and heard of the gas tax hike, the education lottery and the jump in sales tax (there was a jump right?). Still waiting to see how that money was appropriated if it ever was....see Belt line is STILL a joke.
What are you waiting for? The information is there if you look for it. Go look on the state website to see where the funding goes. There used to be a budget deficit in North Carolina, and it's no longer there.

Quote:
Schools - A few are great (as compared to NC schools), some are good but too many are still below average. Not enough choice to go around and sometimes even if you move down the street from the school you WANT to go to...it's not a guarantee you will have a child going there (Wake county that is).
In Wake county? Which ones are below average (especially compared to other cities the same size as Raleigh)? I have a hard time believing that. The bussing is a negative though.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
I think that you shouldn't move anywhere unless you have a job waiting for you. Research your field, find out what companies in the area work in that field, and find out all that you can about them. Are they hiring? Are they growing? How common are layoffs? Do your own homework. If you chose to move down here without a job anyway, make sure you have plenty of money in savings to cover you (6 months worth is a common recomendation) and a plan or two in place if things don't work out.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:07 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post
I have seen so many posts that discuss WHY to move to Raleigh. Can anyone kindly give me some reasons why not to move to Raleigh.

We live in Milwaukee, WI and are seriously considering relocating to the this neck of the woods.
Don't move to The Triangle if:
1) You enjoy snow. We rarely get it.
2) You have a fondness for local cheese and dairy. It's shipped in from WI & Mn.
3) You need your hard crusted bread fix daily. It's few and far between.
4) You expect your neighbors to greet you with a hot dish. You'll probably get ice tea and a baked goody instead.
5) You live for Packer Season. I've seen a few of you here. College sports is still king, 2nd to the Carolina Panthers & Cains.
6) You expect to ice skate outside all winter long. But you may actually be able to tolerate the water temps, considering what they are in land of the frozen North.
7) Same goes for ice fishing.

These are all suppose to be tongue & cheek.

I think you'll hear the biggest complaints are things that are subjective to where you are coming from: quality of schools, size of schools, taxes, traffic, transplants changing the culture, etc. Don't let these things scare you off. Relative to where I came from all most all of these did not concern me. This is wonderful area. As long as you are not looking for a LARGE urban city, then we have what you are looking for..... something for everyone! We also have small & medium urban cities, but no SFs, NYCs, or ATLs. But those have been over done.

Good luck in your search and have fun!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:36 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudpapa View Post

Everything I have heard and read says "do it."

Please share with me some reasons why NOT to move to Raleigh. What did you discover after you moved that you wish you had known before.....
Hi!

We left SE Wisconsin (Elkhorn) a few years ago. Like some other posters mentioned, the heat and humidity are a bit much in the summer. Months of it gets old fast! Personally, I miss snow! There's just nothing like playing outside in the snow and then coming indoors for some hot chocolate. Yes, WI winters are somewhat long, but it's still easier to bundle up than to sweat buckets the minute you step outside, like I do here. And yes, there's a/c everywhere, but who wants to be cooped up all summer? But this is just my opinion. I know a lot of northerners who absolutely love it here. Aside from the weather (sorry I rambled on about that!), I can really recommend the Raleigh area. Houses and property taxes are much more affordable than WI. Plus it's great to be able to go to the beach for the day. The mountains aren't too far either, so there are lots of vacation opportunities within a short drive. Hope this helps and best of luck with your future plans!

Old 12-03-2007, 09:57 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,552 times
Quote:
the jump in sales tax (there was a jump right?)
Actually, the Sales Tax has been lowered since then. The combined sales tax rate was 7% on Tangible Personal Property but was lowered to 6.75% earlier this year. I think they MAY be lowering it again in Jan 2008 to 6.5% which I read on an earlier bulletin but I can't seem to find info confirming that right now.

Yes, I used to be a corporate accountant. Yes, I guess that makes me a nerd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary