Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

The 6 year old probably doesn't even know what that means. They've probably just seen someone else do it. I remember asking what it meant when I was a kid and being told it meant either "sit and spin" or "go to hell". It was many years before I figured it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 09:35 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Sheesh it's so obvious. Dig a moat around your house and set your lawn on fire. Then train your dog warrior to defend your nation state against the demonic midget people. Bonus points for drawing pentagrams on your garage door to ward off spooky skeletons.

"All hail Captain Snuffles -- protector of kibbles and smells."

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan63 View Post
<>Also the fact that, they're coming up on their hoverboard and running across or rock flowerbed,<>
They have a hoverboard? Really?? That goes cross country???

Old 10-24-2017, 03:34 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I hate to use the "kids being kids" excuse, but we all live in very close quarters around here, and these are the types of things that you just need to let go. IMO you should have put the fence up and been done with it.

Suggestions of calling the cops, HOA fines, etc, are absurd.
Maybe not stupid.

If one of these trespassers gets hurt on your property, they will sue you in a heartbeat.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Put up a fence and that will prevent the kids cutting through your yard. I like the camera idea too. Evidence for the police if your complaints fall on deaf ears. I would let the parents know this also. Nicely tell them if you have to come back a second time the police will be involved, that should stop it. You’ve warned them on the first visit.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,481,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Put up a fence and that will prevent the kids cutting through your yard. I like the camera idea too. Evidence for the police if your complaints fall on deaf ears. I would let the parents know this also. Nicely tell them if you have to come back a second time the police will be involved, that should stop it. You’ve warned them on the first visit.
You could write them emphasizing how much you don't want their children hurt. That might help.

Old 10-24-2017, 04:42 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Threads on this board have a strange habit of spiraling out of control at times. Leave it for another day or two and you'll be getting advice on how to train your pack of wolves to fight the ninjas who are firebombing your house.
LOL. It was my fault. I thought the kids were taunting the dog outside and that could make the dog reactive and prone to bite them - I didn't realize the dog was inside

Old 10-24-2017, 05:02 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The 6 year old probably doesn't even know what that means. They've probably just seen someone else do it. I remember asking what it meant when I was a kid and being told it meant either "sit and spin" or "go to hell". It was many years before I figured it out.
If the kid was playing with other kids and flipping them off I'd agree with you but since he flipped off the OP when the OP told the kids to get lost, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing. I'm sure his lovely older siblings have schooled him in the finer points of being a PITA.

As I noted we had a family like this in my neighborhood, they were original owners here and from what I've heard they've been terrors since they were old enough to walk. Some kids are just raised that way. One of the kids was expelled from WCPSS schools last year so they are set on a path early and that's where they stay sometimes. My neighborhood is pretty laid back and is chock full of boys the same age but people were practically throwing parties when the house went on the market.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan63 View Post
Nothing really damaged, they took their hoverboard across the backyard which left tracks, and I have a tree in front yard with rocks around it where you can tell someone stepped and pushed a side down, so just little things that's just more annoying to fix.

We are in an HOA, it's a new neighborhood where we all moved in around the same time, might go that avenue. I've thought about a camera, but I just don't feel like dropping a few hundred dollars for something that in the grand scheme of things is just an annoyance.

I think I'm more just frustrated with the lack of parenting, the kids just seem to have no respect, they often take up the road on their bikes and don't move for people driving through. I'm not one to encourage helicopter parenting, but when your kids are out in the street from morning til dusk, would just be nice as a neighbor to see they're keeping an eye on their kids once in a while.
With a smart doorbell you can control if it rings inside your house or not. It also records motion so someone doesn't need to ring it for it to record video and audio. I just installed a skybell a couple weeks ago and like it a lot. No monthly fees. Arlo cameras are wireless and you can move them inside or outside of your home. You can also set them to record on motion. It's an investment but both great products.

Ring has that floodlight cam and a doorbell but they charge monthly fees which I don't like. It might be worth it for you though. The floodlight cam has a speaker so you can talk to the person, and even sound an alarm if needed.

A long time ago I had some issues with neighborhood kids. After a while I got fed up and had to scold them myself. Thankfully they probably thought I was crazy and that was the end of it. They never bothered my stuff again. All kids do stupid things, but the good ones will stop when they are told to by an adult.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
All kids know it's a bad thing to do regardless of what their interpretation is. Being 6 years old is not an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary