Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM

151 posts, read 147,775 times

Advertisements

Hello, considering a relocation to the RD area and was hoping for some feedback on how you like-dislike the area? Any NE folks or Pa specifically such as Lehigh Valley or NEPA?

I realize RD isn't going to be Philly or Pittsburgh from an urban amenities standpoint, but I am sort of imagining a bigger more lively Lehigh Valley? Is that totally off base? With better weather of course these Pa winters are atrocious anymore.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:23 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
RDU is the airport.

RTP is a place where people work (Research Triangle Park).

"The Triangle" is this area in general.

Not trying to be nitpicky but if I don't say it someone else will....it's like nails on a blackboard when people get it wrong.

Good luck with your potential move!

PS Isn't anything more lively than the Lehigh Valley

Old 05-02-2018, 05:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Isn't this your earlier thread?:

Any Pennsylvania Folks Who Relocated?

There's also this older thread:

Anyone move hear from Lehigh Valley, PA Area?

Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 PM

148 posts, read 171,332 times
I'm from Emmaus, worked in Allentown for a little while. Now I live in Durham and work in Raleigh. Ask me anything.

You actually aren't that far off base. Raleigh/Durham is not like Charlotte in a similar way that Allentown/Bethlehem is not like Philly, and Raleigh/Durham is more lively than Allentown/Bethlehem.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 AM

265 posts, read 270,098 times
I was born in Scranton, went to college in Bethlehem, and lived in Philly for a long time. It's a big trade-off for a wide variety of things. For me, the weather, job opportunities and cost of living outweighed all the social aspects and familiarity in the NE. No place is perfect, so always keep that in mind when you feel frustrated or out of place here. The biggest frustration I have had, aside from statewide politics, has been the isolation of Raleigh. Growing up in Eastern PA, we are so close to NYC and Philly that I always took it for granted. Now, hiking up to DC is a royal pain in the ass if you need something from an actual city, whether it be entertainment, cultural, sports, or matters of embassies/consulates/etc. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
If license plates are any indication, there are plenty of them.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:49 PM

151 posts, read 147,775 times
I guess i dont have any specific questions just was a general question. To

be honest in eastern Pa I find going to NYC unbearable and absurdly expensive even to spend a day. Philly I do enjoy to an extent, but it has negatives that go along with a big northeastern urban area as well. People in downtown Philly knocking on your carwindows for money or selling crazy stuff.

I think if you are young and single the big city thing holds more weight. Not sure if you guys recall just how awful winters are up here as well. We had snow flurries a week ago!! Really limited time to enjoy the outdoors or a pool.

As long as there are things to do I wouldn't think I'd miss a huge city. I mean I love DC but the COL and traffic seemed to really turn people off especially from a family perspective.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:55 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,772 times
I lived in PA for a while but was out in the Harrisburg area. I would say raleigh has more in common with Harrisburg than philly but love it here. It’s sort of like a giant suburb other than the downtown cores which are nothing like the NE. Once in a while we get a little bored and miss being near a bigger city but overall great place to live and really great for families.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:43 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
RDU is the airport.

RTP is a place where people work (Research Triangle Park).

"The Triangle" is this area in general.

Not trying to be nitpicky but if I don't say it someone else will....it's like nails on a blackboard when people get it wrong.

Good luck with your potential move!
This should be in a sticky.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:33 AM

678 posts, read 738,805 times
We have Sheetz here, so many PA people should feel at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary