Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 10:27 PM

96 posts, read 53,326 times

Advertisements

So here we are, fast forward 6 years, contemplating relocating to the Raleigh area. Several years ago, we lived in Cary for a year. Things did not work out as we planned so we returned home. Kids are doing well, both my wife and I are employed at good jobs and financially speaking, doing very well. There are issues here where we currently live that are not specific to the area; all cities experience issues we rather not deal with, but none the less, are present. We recently thought of giving the Raleigh area a second chance and recently spent the last several days there, taking in several activities and traveling the area. We left with a, well, a m e h feeling. Traffic in our opinion, much worse than what we experienced years ago. Rude, inconsiderate drivers hell bent on making our driving experience difficult, everyday. Growth? OMG, off the chain. I knew the area was going though an expansion, but not to the degree we observed. Loved the farmers market (again); met very friendly folks there who were very helpful and courteous. Lights on the Neuse was great. Took in a NHL hockey game, and although the Hurricanes lost, we had a great time. Really the only thing I miss was the cooler, seasonal weather. Thought it was just me, but my wife said she really didn't feel an incredible desire to go back, that it wasn't worth the trouble of relocating, finding work, and establishing ourselves there (again). This isn't a knock on the Raleigh area, for I do find many things about it that I like, however, much seems to have changed from the time I (we) have spent there back in 2013-2014. Not sure if it's just me getting older, my kids getting older, that has changed my perspective on things, but I honestly feel had we remained there, we would have regretted staying, seeing all the change that has, in my opinion, taken away all that was unique to the area. It's like the omen that befalls all "desirable" places in America; everyone wants to move there and turns it into everything they moved away from. Our minds are not made up, for we still like what the area offers to some degree, but we're certainly expanding our search, maybe to the Midwest. The east coast of America, unfortunately, is losing its appeal. I feel we're looking for the heartland of America and the dynamics of change taking place along the east coast states are too much for us to deal with. Regardless, I would like to get some feedback from those of you that have lived in the Raleigh area for several years, what your thoughts are from the changes that have taken place over the years that have either disappointed you or made you happy with the changes.
Again, I'm not knocking the area; I do miss much of what it offers, but am seriously in a state of flux as to whether it's worth the effort in relocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 10:39 PM

888 posts, read 806,100 times
The ribs at redneck bbq lab are great

Old 12-26-2019, 10:46 PM

96 posts, read 53,326 times
Thanks for the laugh.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:12 PM

88 posts, read 72,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by low crawler View Post
So here we are, fast forward 6 years, contemplating relocating to the Raleigh area. Several years ago, we lived in Cary for a year. Things did not work out as we planned so we returned home. Kids are doing well, both my wife and I are employed at good jobs and financially speaking, doing very well. There are issues here where we currently live that are not specific to the area; all cities experience issues we rather not deal with, but none the less, are present. We recently thought of giving the Raleigh area a second chance and recently spent the last several days there, taking in several activities and traveling the area. We left with a, well, a m e h feeling. Traffic in our opinion, much worse than what we experienced years ago. Rude, inconsiderate drivers hell bent on making our driving experience difficult, everyday. Growth? OMG, off the chain. I knew the area was going though an expansion, but not to the degree we observed. Loved the farmers market (again); met very friendly folks there who were very helpful and courteous. Lights on the Neuse was great. Took in a NHL hockey game, and although the Hurricanes lost, we had a great time. Really the only thing I miss was the cooler, seasonal weather. Thought it was just me, but my wife said she really didn't feel an incredible desire to go back, that it wasn't worth the trouble of relocating, finding work, and establishing ourselves there (again). This isn't a knock on the Raleigh area, for I do find many things about it that I like, however, much seems to have changed from the time I (we) have spent there back in 2013-2014. Not sure if it's just me getting older, my kids getting older, that has changed my perspective on things, but I honestly feel had we remained there, we would have regretted staying, seeing all the change that has, in my opinion, taken away all that was unique to the area. It's like the omen that befalls all "desirable" places in America; everyone wants to move there and turns it into everything they moved away from. Our minds are not made up, for we still like what the area offers to some degree, but we're certainly expanding our search, maybe to the Midwest. The east coast of America, unfortunately, is losing its appeal. I feel we're looking for the heartland of America and the dynamics of change taking place along the east coast states are too much for us to deal with. Regardless, I would like to get some feedback from those of you that have lived in the Raleigh area for several years, what your thoughts are from the changes that have taken place over the years that have either disappointed you or made you happy with the changes.
Again, I'm not knocking the area; I do miss much of what it offers, but am seriously in a state of flux as to whether it's worth the effort in relocating.
I agree with everything that you said. However, all fast growing areas are experiencing similar issues, particularly with traffic and rude drivers. Had you stayed in this area, you likely would have become used to these issues and not really noticed. No doubt, things have really changed since 2013-2014. I hope that you make the best decision for you and your family !

Old 12-27-2019, 05:09 AM

202 posts, read 174,015 times
One advantage this area still has is affordable housing in really nice areas... but that isn’t going to last. Microsoft bringing jobs here, likely many others on the way, downtown vitalization, plus Durham gentrifying like crazy, ...it’s amazing you can still get a 4B/3bth in Cary under 500k...

If anyone is going to relo here, 2020 is the time to do it, by 2025 - 2030 you may see much higher home prices, etc.

All it will take is one major company to move into RTP, Durham, Raleigh and boom. We lost Apple, Amazon, and MLS... but we gained Microsoft and many other wins recently. Soon enough another major is going to see the advantage of the area.

But look, it’s a ‘suburban city’ and that means traffic etc.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:56 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,728,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWaveDad View Post
All it will take is one major company to move into RTP, Durham, Raleigh and boom. We lost Apple...
True, we lost their big HQ plans as of recent. However they still own a sizable chunk of land in the RTP, so who knows what the future may hold for them yet.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:57 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
It all comes down to pros and cons. If you went to the trouble of moving here and then moving back “home” (a telling word usage) you probably were never committed to it in the first place. Whatever issues there are in your current location obviously aren’t bad enough to FORCE a move and honestly shouldn’t be the only driver. The stuff that is worse here - not your imagination. Would have been less noticeable/bothersome if you never left. But again - pros and cons. No one is going be looking to talk to you into moving here (see:traffic and attitudes) so it’s all down to your list of yeses and nos. Been here 9 years and never considered moving back and still never would. Will I be here forever? Don’t know. But if I am I would be happy with that.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:02 AM

1,322 posts, read 1,258,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by low crawler View Post
Kids are doing well, both my wife and I are employed at good jobs
Not sure why you are looking to move based on the above. I'd look into making where you are the best it can be for your family.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:13 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
The irony of people who say they want to relocate to the area and then complain about the growth.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:33 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,274,997 times
As mentioned above a pro's and con's list is helpful. Literally sit down with a pen and paper, and list out all the pro's and cons of each location. Assign a weight to each. Be honest about it.

No matter where you are the grass will always seem greener - no place is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary