Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times

Advertisements

Folks are working on it:

"DURHAM – Polaris Quantum Biotech (PQB) is coming out of stealth mode to launch a new drug discovery platform with UK-based Fujitsu that could help the global effort to quickly find a vaccine for coronavirus. Calling it “ground-breaking,” Polaris says the platform is a combination of quantum-inspired technology, machine learning, hybrid quantum mechanics and molecular mechanics simulations (QM/MM). The result, its co-founder Dr. Shahar Keinan says, is a new solution that enables significantly faster and cost-effective discovery of de novo lead molecules (repeat identification) that are used for the development of new drugs."DURHAM – Polaris Quantum Biotech (PQB) is coming out of stealth mode to launch a new drug discovery platform with UK-based Fujitsu that could help the global effort to quickly find a vaccine for coronavirus.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 03-18-2020 at 10:06 PM..

Old 03-18-2020, 09:31 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Plausible findings. If there was ever time for a medical breakthrough in vaccines or treatment, this is it.
The solution seems to be widespread social distancing for months at a time throughout the year until a vaccine can be deployed. It can be relaxed for a month or two and probably should be staggered between states/regions so we aren’t inundated once it hits again. Unfortunately that will pretty much kill all events planned for this year but at least it minimizes the number of deaths (could be in the millions without any treatment)

Old 03-18-2020, 10:07 PM

Folks are working on it:

"DURHAM – Polaris Quantum Biotech (PQB) is coming out of stealth mode to launch a new drug discovery platform with UK-based Fujitsu that could help the global effort to quickly find a vaccine for coronavirus. Calling it “ground-breaking,” Polaris says the platform is a combination of quantum-inspired technology, machine learning, hybrid quantum mechanics and molecular mechanics simulations (QM/MM). The result, its co-founder Dr. Shahar Keinan says, is a new solution that enables significantly faster and cost-effective discovery of de novo lead molecules (repeat identification) that are used for the development of new drugs."DURHAM – Polaris Quantum Biotech (PQB) is coming out of stealth mode to launch a new drug discovery platform with UK-based Fujitsu that could help the global effort to quickly find a vaccine for coronavirus.

Old 03-19-2020, 05:21 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Clinical trials have begun at NIH for a vaccine developed by NIAID scientists and Maderna, a company based in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...ovid-19-begins

According to NBC news, the Maderna vaccine and two others - one being developed by Regeneron Pharm. in Tarrytown, NY and Inovio Pharm. in Plymouth Meeting, PA have the most promise at this point

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...s-one-n1163191

Other countries are also working on a vaccine. According to the Jerusalem Post, MIGAL is on the cusp of developing a vaccine.

https://www.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE...vaccine-619101

And Germany's Cure-Vac is hoping to start testing a vaccine in June.

Europe in coronavirus vaccine battle with US

And of course there are many others. The issue is that it takes time to test these vaccines before being released to the public. I don't know if there is any way to safely speed up the process. I also worry about the next virus. Once we get this one under control, what virus is around the bend?

Old 03-19-2020, 06:14 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
They have to do the safety studies, but industry will surely go as fast as possible and I'm sure whatever is successful will get an FDA fast track approval. But the studies are only in Phase 1, and there are two more after that. IMO still 18 months away but hope less.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:40 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,053,288 times
My Brother in Law called me early this morning from up North. He told me his brother (in the National Guard) was put on Alert this AM with the directive to "prepare for a 30 day minimum deployment by the end of this weekend".

Again, posters here can take that for what they want. I am not trying to scare anyone. Simply sharing first hand information.

I went shopping this morning for essential items for the kids with idea being something could be coming down the pike this weekend.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
My Brother in Law called me early this morning from up North. He told me his brother (in the National Guard) was put on Alert this AM with the directive to "prepare for a 30 day minimum deployment by the end of this weekend".

Again, posters here can take that for what they want. I am not trying to scare anyone. Simply sharing first hand information.

I went shopping this morning for essential items for the kids with idea being something could be coming down the pike this weekend.
my uncle, who works at nintendo, said the same thing

Old 03-19-2020, 07:03 AM

Not according to Marco Rubio:

On Monday, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio tweeted, albeit with a spelling error, requesting everyone stop sharing misinformation about the use of martial law to maintain stability in this ongoing crisis. He wrote, “Please stop spreading stupid rumors about marshall law. COMPLETELY FALSE. We will continue to see closings & restrictions on hours of non-essential businesses in certain cities & states. But that is NOT marshall law.”

He has the same "spell check" problem that I have ! LOL

Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
Not according to Marco Rubio:

On Monday, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio tweeted, albeit with a spelling error, requesting everyone stop sharing misinformation about the use of martial law to maintain stability in this ongoing crisis. He wrote, “Please stop spreading stupid rumors about marshall law. COMPLETELY FALSE. We will continue to see closings & restrictions on hours of non-essential businesses in certain cities & states. But that is NOT marshall law.”

He has the same "spell check" problem that I have ! LOL

Couldnt rep you again, but I saw his tweet and laughed, thinking of our discussion and spell checking debacle.

To take it a step further down the "is it funny or not" hole. On Monday Morning the number one trending topic in the US on twitter was "Marshall Law".

Old 03-19-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
my uncle, who works at nintendo, said the same thing

No no, you misheard him. He was talking about the new Swords and Shield game. Easy mistake. Been there before myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary